PDA

View Full Version : Camera Insurance

Mitsu3000gt
02-01-2007, 12:14 AM
I am going to Cuba over reading week (unless my Finance Prof is a dink and doesn't let me move my midterm by a day).

I know you can get camera insurance and I heard it was fairly cheap. I was wondering what it costs, who provides it, and whats it cover? I'm mainly worried about theft and me personally damaging it by accident (lots of sand and water around)

I obviously will never be able to prove it if anything happens to my camera so any claim they honor would have to be totally based on trust.

Any advice?

Ben
02-01-2007, 12:59 AM
I take 5k+ worth of equipment to Barbados every year, never had a problem. Dont take it to shady areas, and take good care of it when in wet/sandy areas. Also, make damn sure you take it carry on.

If you do want to insure your gear however:

http://www.niksecure.com/index.php

Also, if you call your home insurance providor they can discuss options with you, where you can add a special clause to your policy describing a specific value of the item. I find dealing with company for everything to be far more reliable than a one off company for a specific item anyways. I have TD home and auto, and on the policy my gear is listed, it is covered whether it is in the household or on the road, provided I pay the prediscussed deductable. This is very common with jewelry.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-01-2007, 01:10 AM
I would check with your home insurance before considering Niksecure. The word around Nikonians is that they're very, very slow on claims and will look for any excuse not to cover you. They denied a guy's claim because he filed his claim 2 weeks after the accident (he was on vacation), and they said it was too late.

At any rate, the overall opinion of NikSecure that I've read has been quite negative.

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=15062&forum=DCForumID44

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID44/15057.html

Mitsu3000gt
02-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks guys, Ill give Meloche Monex a call and see what they have to say.

AccentAE86
02-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Yup, put it as a RIDER on your home insurance, which should cover it anywhere around the world. Just be prepared to show receipts and serial numbers for everything you want to insure. I even had to bring in all my gear so they could verify all the serial numbers. It ended up being something like 50 for the year.

But if are pro, you can't add it as a rider onto your home insurance.... now it's considered business insurance, and costs a lot more... argh... :banghead:

Mitsu3000gt
02-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by AccentAE86
Yup, put it as a RIDER on your home insurance, which should cover it anywhere around the world. Just be prepared to show receipts and serial numbers for everything you want to insure. I even had to bring in all my gear so they could verify all the serial numbers. It ended up being something like 50 for the year.

But if are pro, you can't add it as a rider onto your home insurance.... now it's considered business insurance, and costs a lot more... argh... :banghead:

I'm about the furthest possible thing from a pro so I should be OK :D

I live at home and don't have my own home insurance per se, but my parents insure our home with meloche monex and all our cars and boat are insured with them too.

Thanks guys.