PDA

View Full Version : sun and amp $175, good deal?

dieselboy
02-01-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm buying a used JL 12w3v2 D4 with a MA Audio m180i for $175. Is this a reasonable deal? Where should I pick up a wiring kit?

jf97talon
02-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Ok for the amp.. but can you please provide a pic of the 'sun'?
:nut:

Ya its a not bad deal

dieselboy
02-02-2007, 08:11 AM
I tried to but it burnt out the diode in my camera.:banghead:

Mitsu3000gt
02-02-2007, 10:48 AM
I have a JL W3 currently installed and it is a piece of shit compared to my Image Dynamics sub that I have been too lazy to install. JL subs are sold with obscene markup, which is why you can find them at places like soundsaround, etc. Save your money and buy an Image Dynamics ID V3. They are only about $120 after tax/duty/shipping. Then buy a monoblock amp. You will be way happier. People are using that $120 sub in $20,000 USD sound quality competition cars along with $9000 component speakers, etc. etc.

dieselboy
02-02-2007, 03:30 PM
I already drafted out the plans for the box. i put too much time in it not to build it. i think itll be ok. it's just a sub and im not looking for anything amazing.

hjr
02-02-2007, 04:45 PM
are you tarded? the box doesnt have to change???

thats like saying: well all my friends saw me making out hard with this hugely fat chick, ive put in the time, i might as well fuck her too..... EEEEE - Wrong.

SWX
02-02-2007, 05:01 PM
If the box is vented then YEAH it more than likely has to change.

Mitsu3000gt
02-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by hjr

thats like saying: well all my friends saw me making out hard with this hugely fat chick, ive put in the time, i might as well fuck her too..... EEEEE - Wrong.

Haha I like that analogy, and I agree it's retarded to keep going with a shitty sub because you've put in a bit of time already.

Also if you like tight base, you might want to use a sealed box with the ID sub. Buy the image dynamics sub, you only need a 0.7 cu. ft sealed box for optimal sound.

Phat_Tercel_YO!
02-03-2007, 04:05 AM
It's worse if it's sealed.

If he already built a vented box, then the box determines the tuning, and for the most part, you'd be okay.

Subs are pickier in sealed boxes because the Q of the box and sub together are directly related to the tuning.

Mitsu3000gt
02-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Phat_Tercel_YO!

If he already built a vented box, then the box determines the tuning, and for the most part, you'd be okay.

Subs are pickier in sealed boxes because the Q of the box and sub together are directly related to the tuning.

Properly done, a sealed box gives you tighter, less boomy bass. Some people want boomy though.

dieselboy
02-03-2007, 07:28 PM
I choose the ported box with some modifications so it fits in my trunk better. This is my first sub box project and im happy with the design. it's not meant to sound amazing or be top of the line. it's just meant to work.

Graham_A_M
02-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Properly done, a sealed box gives you tighter, less boomy bass. Some people want boomy though.

NOt really, some subs absolutely NEED a ported box. They're rare, as a manditory sealed enclosure is a lot more common...
Boomy bass is the result of a box not providing enough acoustic suspension for that sub to perform at its best. Subs need a certain amount of air-resistance in terms of aiding in their excursion. A variance in that, being either in the form of a improperly tuned port or too big of a box (ported or sealed) will cause that.
You can make an Image Dynamics IDmax sub sould like horseshit, if you were to throw it in some generic ported box, however you can make even a Jensen sub sound surprisingly good, if placed in a box that was specficially engineered for that subs requirements.

GTS Jeff
02-03-2007, 08:30 PM

Oh nice, here we go again. You fucked up AGAIN with bad advice. Geez, you really need to stop regurgitating random dogmas like "sealed is better than ported yaryar" when you don't know what you're talking about.

This guy here has already built a vented box with the right dimensions for his JL sub, he can't just "seal that sucker up" because subs have different volumetric requirements when in sealed vs. ported applications.

Mitsu3000gt
02-04-2007, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

NOt really, some subs absolutely NEED a ported box. They're rare, as a manditory sealed enclosure is a lot more common...
Boomy bass is the result of a box not providing enough acoustic suspension for that sub to perform at its best. Subs need a certain amount of air-resistance in terms of aiding in their excursion. A variance in that, being either in the form of a improperly tuned port or too big of a box (ported or sealed) will cause that.
You can make an Image Dynamics IDmax sub sould like horseshit, if you were to throw it in some generic ported box, however you can make even a Jensen sub sound surprisingly good, if placed in a box that was specficially engineered for that subs requirements.

I totally agree i did not mean to suggest otherwise. I was talking exclusively about the ID sub, I should of been more clear I guess. Maybe everyone thought I was talking about his JL. I sometimes write as though people can read my mind lol.

Mitsu3000gt
02-04-2007, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Oh nice, here we go again. You fucked up AGAIN with bad advice. Geez, you really need to stop regurgitating random dogmas like "sealed is better than ported yaryar" when you don't know what you're talking about.

This guy here has already built a vented box with the right dimensions for his JL sub, he can't just "seal that sucker up" because subs have different volumetric requirements when in sealed vs. ported applications.

Will you ever quit? You make way too many assumptions. You think you know everything. Get a life man. All I did was make suggestions. Nor did I tell him to seal his box (that he hasn't even said he has made yet) and keep his JL sub. I didn't tell him to do a single thing with his JL sub. I suggested an alternate sub (a cheap one at that) and a sealed enclosure proven to work that that sub, recommended by the manufacturer in fact. Also, he said he has only drafted the plans to build the box, not built it already. You have very selective reading. Additionally, I said sealed is generally tighter than ported, I never once said it is BETTER. Find everyone on beyond who has ever used a generalization and send them an angry PM, you will be there for weeks. You twist my posts up so much its not even funny, and you add your own words. Seriously you must have way too much time on your hands. You act like your 12 years old seeking out all my posts and trying to make me sound like an idiot, but all you do is make yourself look like an asshole, as others besides myself have already told you.:drama:

You have some childish grudge against me for no legitimate reason, and for things that about 1000 other beyond users are guilty of also, and it is getting ridiculous. Act your age. If you have that huge of a problem with me, grow up and take it to PM, stop being hypocritical, and follow your own rules by not polluting threads with your useless grudge posts.

GTS Jeff
02-05-2007, 02:44 AM

Will you ever quit? You make way too many assumptions. You think you know everything. Get a life man. All I did was make suggestions. Nor did I tell him to seal his box (that he hasn't even said he has made yet) and keep his JL sub. I didn't tell him to do a single thing with his JL sub. I suggested an alternate sub (a cheap one at that) and a sealed enclosure proven to work that that sub, recommended by the manufacturer in fact. Also, he said he has only drafted the plans to build the box, not built it already. You have very selective reading. Additionally, I said sealed is generally tighter than ported, I never once said it is BETTER. Find everyone on beyond who has ever used a generalization and send them an angry PM, you will be there for weeks. You twist my posts up so much its not even funny, and you add your own words. Seriously you must have way too much time on your hands. You act like your 12 years old seeking out all my posts and trying to make me sound like an idiot, but all you do is make yourself look like an asshole, as others besides myself have already told you.:drama:

You have some childish grudge against me for no legitimate reason, and for things that about 1000 other beyond users are guilty of also, and it is getting ridiculous. Act your age. If you have that huge of a problem with me, grow up and take it to PM, stop being hypocritical, and follow your own rules by not polluting threads with your useless grudge posts.

Wahwahwah, no one is seeking out your posts. I happen to browse Beyond a lot, and I happen to notice that all the advice you give leads people down the wrong paths. Don't give me that "other people are guilty of it too" bullshit, because seriously, no one is quite as bad as you are. I don't claim to know everything, but I sure know to keep my mouth shut when I don't know what's going on, which is something you should work at.

And no, I'm not gonna "take it to PMz y0" because hopefully all this public exposure will provide you with the impetus to stop screwing around with the n00bs with your pseudo-advice-garbage posts. There's always hope, right? :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
02-05-2007, 09:21 AM

Wahwahwah, no one is seeking out your posts. I happen to browse Beyond a lot, and I happen to notice that all the advice you give leads people down the wrong paths. Don't give me that "other people are guilty of it too" bullshit, because seriously, no one is quite as bad as you are. I don't claim to know everything, but I sure know to keep my mouth shut when I don't know what's going on, which is something you should work at.

And no, I'm not gonna "take it to PMz y0" because hopefully all this public exposure will provide you with the impetus to stop screwing around with the n00bs with your pseudo-advice-garbage posts. There's always hope, right? :thumbsup:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You didn't even address 90% of my post, like where you threw words into my mouth, or where I didn't even tell the original poster to do the things you criticized me about, or where he didn't say he has made his box yet but has only drafted plans, but you somehow read that I told him to seal the box he already made up? hahaha. Is it more of your selective reading or do you just know I'm right? If something doesn't conform to what you think, its wrong in every way right? Guess so. You take my posts, use them as a base, add your own words into the mix and then try make me look bad, however everyone can see what I actually wrote versus what you accuse me of, so you just end up making a fool of yourself. Keep it up, I have no problem with it.

Your post is pure BS in every way, especially the part where I have never once, in any post, led anyone down the right path. Stop wasting my time. You said you keep your mouth shut when you don't know whats going on so why don't you? Just because you think something is wrong doesn't make it wrong.

Anyways, argueing on an internet forum is pathetic to begin with, and pretty much the lowest form of argueing. I really need to stop myself from getting sucked in all the time. Obviously this has been a massive waste of time on both of our behalf because it clearly isn't doing any good, isn't going to ever change anything and will probably never end, which is pretty sad.

GTS Jeff
02-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by hjr

Originally posted by SWX
If the box is vented then YEAH it more than likely has to change.

Originally posted by Phat_Tercel_YO!

Hey Mark, notice all the people calling you stupid?

Mitsu3000gt
02-05-2007, 07:30 PM

Hey Mark, notice all the people calling you stupid?

Hey Jeff, not once did I mention anything about his box (haha). One again, my whole post ignored or more likely, unread. I suggesed an image dynamics sub and a 0.7 cu/ft sealed enclosure totally seperate to the box that he hasn't even built yet, and the sub that he hasn't even bought yet (at least at the time of my original posts, i dont know about now). This is three times now you haven't actually read what I posted to the OP, and havent read the OP's post.

SWX and hjr's posts are directed towards the OP, and not myself. You need to READ. If they were directed to me they make no sense because I never mentioned the things they are talking about, the OP did. I didn't even mention the word "box" (which is what they are talking about) until after their posts.

Phat tercel's post assumed I wanted him to just seal up his JL box he hasn't even made yet, which is not the case, as I clearly specified a ID sub reccomendation. If he was talking about the ID sub, sealed is reccomended by Image Dynamics themselves as I suggested. Additionally, he assumed the box was already made, but if you read the OP's posts, he has merely drafted up the plans and not built anything yet.

Graham AM also did not totally disagree with me, as he said that mandatoy ported enclosures are very rare and sealed ones are much more common. He did a nice job of clarifying my generalization, and in no way did I think he was calling me an idiot, nor do I think that was his intention.

It appears you have made a fool of yourself yet again. Simply reading will save you some embaressment in the future. I'm just trying to help you out.

Additionally, what you have also missed after having 3 chances to read it is that the guy who said "are you retarded the box doesn't have to change etc. etc." wasn't talking to me because If you actually read my post, something you seem to never do, I made no mention whatsoever about a box at all. In fact I agreed with him in the next post or 2. I was reccomending a totally seperate setup, because at the time (and maybe still) he hadn't bought anything yet. The one comment I made to him was "you might want to use a sealed box with the ID sub". Again, I'm refering to the Image Dynamics I suggested, not for him to seal his box he hasn't even built yet. I dont understand why you keep bringing that up. I NEVER TOLD HIM TO DO ANYYTHING WITH HIS JL SUB, OR SEAL HIS JL SUB BOX. In fact, the only thing I ever said about his JL sub he is considering is that I have one and I think it sucks.

Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. You don't read ANYTHING and you keep bringing up the same things every time which don't even make sense. That must mean you have no defense for 90% of what I say, or agree with me, and that is understandable. Spend a minute reading the OP's post, then my posts, and you will see I never tell him to do anything to his JL sub/box. My only reccomendations were to try the ID sub setup in a sealed enclosure, which is reccomended by image dynamics for that sub.

Graham_A_M
02-09-2007, 12:01 AM

Graham AM also did not totally disagree with me, as he said that mandatoy ported enclosures are very rare and sealed ones are much more common. He did a nice job of clarifying my generalization, and in no way did I think he was calling me an idiot, nor do I think that was his intention.

I NEVER TOLD HIM TO DO ANYYTHING WITH HIS JL SUB, OR SEAL HIS JL SUB BOX. In fact, the only thing I ever said about his JL sub he is considering is that I have one and I think it sucks.

I wasn't calling Mitsu an idiot, about 98% of the advise in terms of Car audio is very mis-leading, I never assume a person is an idiot for not knowing some of the more complex side of things in terms of audio, since its .... UNBELIEVEABLY technical. Audio in every sense is a very complex science, basically a conglomerate of physics and its relationship with how the ear percieves sound... its pretty incredible really.
I can go on and on about 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th order harmonics and how the human ear percieves these, and what they all mean... (for example purposes) but that would be a gigantic post, and I dont have an hour or two to type it up.
But its pretty incredible when certain magnets and speaker cone choices affect types of "harmonic distortion".... and how the ear finds some levels & types/orders of this "Harmonic distortion" either pleasant/warm or harsh... (excluding any influence of the speaker/subwoofer boxes modifying characteristics)
Like I say, its uber-technical in the grand scheme of things
There are perhaps a very very small handfull of people in the world that know EVERYTHING about audio... most people know only a small amount.
And Mitsu is no exception.... (or is anybody else really)

The reason I quoted that part about the JL sub, is because that does a great job of explemplifying a line up of subs that NEED sealed enclosures... Almost ALL the JL subs that I've modeled over the years need sealed enclosures to provide the acoustic environment they NEED to perform at they're best. Some of the new ones may not, as I haven't designed boxes for them yet... but things probably haven't changed much.

Mitsu3000gt
02-09-2007, 01:30 PM

I wasn't calling Mitsu an idiot, about 98% of the advise in terms of Car audio is very mis-leading, I never assume a person is an idiot for not knowing some of the more complex side of things in terms of audio, since its .... UNBELIEVEABLY technical. Audio in every sense is a very complex science, basically a conglomerate of physics and its relationship with how the ear percieves sound... its pretty incredible really.
I can go on and on about 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th order harmonics and how the human ear percieves these, and what they all mean... (for example purposes) but that would be a gigantic post, and I dont have an hour or two to type it up.
But its pretty incredible when certain magnets and speaker cone choices affect types of "harmonic distortion".... and how the ear finds some levels & types/orders of this "Harmonic distortion" either pleasant/warm or harsh... (excluding any influence of the speaker/subwoofer boxes modifying characteristics)
Like I say, its uber-technical in the grand scheme of things
There are perhaps a very very small handfull of people in the world that know EVERYTHING about audio... most people know only a small amount.
And Mitsu is no exception.... (or is anybody else really)

The reason I quoted that part about the JL sub, is because that does a great job of explemplifying a line up of subs that NEED sealed enclosures... Almost ALL the JL subs that I've modeled over the years need sealed enclosures to provide the acoustic environment they NEED to perform at they're best. Some of the new ones may not, as I haven't designed boxes for them yet... but things probably haven't changed much.

Thank you.