PDA

View Full Version : Where to check if a car had rolled back KM?

DC2Legend
02-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Ive been looking at some cars lately, and some i find with unreasonable KM, and i wanted to check and make sure

i kno the fax report shows the accidents and stuff, but does it show the KM every time the car goes into shop for certain things? thanks

The Cosworth
02-04-2007, 10:49 PM
take VIN to registry and get it checked.

If you sell a car or get it re-registered that is why they want to know the KM's.

Its voluntary though so its not guaranteed

Slashin_
02-04-2007, 10:53 PM
ask/look for any dealership markings...ie couertsy,kia city,honda west...etc

then go the that specific dealer and see if they will tell you km.....u might ahve to prove the car is up for sell,might have to pay them.....but if they did all the serviceing you should know at what km got what replacement and when it got oil changed

DC2Legend
02-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Slashin_
ask/look for any dealership markings...ie couertsy,kia city,honda west...etc

then go the that specific dealer and see if they will tell you km.....u might ahve to prove the car is up for sell,might have to pay them.....but if they did all the serviceing you should know at what km got what replacement and when it got oil changed

so if you cant find out wat dealership it went to, its very hard to find out if the KM is accurate?

The Cosworth
02-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by DC2Legend

so if you cant find out wat dealership it went to, its very hard to find out if the KM is accurate?

wtf double post

The Cosworth
02-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by DC2Legend

yes, unless they were part of the voluntary mileage tracker through Alberta registries

Slashin_
02-04-2007, 11:10 PM
depend what year the car is.....if its fairly new 2000+ i sure u can find it.....cause new car needs to go thru dealership for warranties then that will tell u kms....or even recalls will tell u when they went in

DC2Legend
02-04-2007, 11:17 PM
u can kinda tell if the speedometer was rolled back itself, but if u find a new speedometer with a different millage, then u cant really kno, which is wat im worried about.

B20EF
02-04-2007, 11:47 PM
^^yah or they could've taken the cluster out when they owned the car and put it back in to sell it

craigcd
02-05-2007, 12:01 AM
I always check the screws that hold the cluster in.

If it was removed the screws often have paint rubbed off or you can tell they have been wrenched on. Not a fail safe method but helps out a bit.