PDA

View Full Version : so I just hit a parked car.

Audio_Rookie
02-04-2007, 11:18 PM
True story. Was driving around town when a narrow part in the road came up and the truck heading the opposite direction was in the middle of the road...exact middle.

both cant fit through, I tap the brakes to try and let him pass and then move....but I end up skidding.....slightly to the right and forward, enough for him to get through....but enough to hit any parked cars ahead if it keeps skidding. pumping brakes, nothing, im just barely touching the brakes yet skidding.

I try and go right onto the sidewalk and up someones steep yard.....nope...keep going forward...

Well I realized im not gonna be able to move it or stop it.....so I see a honda up ahead and I realize im gonna hit it.

truck drives by (in the middle of the road) just as I make contact.

I rear end him, and his car just basically jumps ontop of my hood, his rear tires off the ground, and his bumper on my hood (I drive a fiero).

nock the door, he calls the cops yada yada.....they say hes lucky its not a hit and run and to fill out a forum at office when ready.

get a tow truck to try and unstuck us, he lifts the guys honda, I drive out. His car is a 84 honda, rust bucket and the bumper was ready to fall off before I hit him.

The tow truck guy tell the honda guy that he would be lucky if I gave him a couple hundred for the damages now. Tow guy only charged 40$ :) The guy says he is gonna get it checked for frame damage.

My car now has a big hole where the headlight was.....and some big ass dents and gouges on the hood. There are these steel hooks under the honda that just fucking reaped my car.

I am just wondering.....what are the odds of frame damage from a 10km/hr collision? especially considering I rolled under his car.

Trying not to go through insurance, both cars run and drive still.....didnt touch his gas tanks or suspension.

His car realy looks untouched, and mine looks like trailer trash now.

frame damage probable? I wold think not but wondering.

Technically it is my fault I hit him so I will take responsibility of my actions as I didn't get info on the truck in the middle of the road.

Thanks guys.

gofastmerc
02-04-2007, 11:23 PM
I really don't think it would matter if had "frame" damage or not. If the car is only worth $400, replacing the bumper can cost twice that. Basicly, you just bought that car, if he wants to try to get some cash from it.

Let him get some estimates worth 2K, then offer him $400, and he can keep his car. If he wantd to go through insurance, he will get $400, and lose his car, because they will write it off.

Hoey
02-04-2007, 11:26 PM
That sucks dude..

Normally frame damage would not happen at 10kph BUT...

Considering his car is an 84 honda thats rusted to shit, the frame is probably rusted to shit aswell, which means it wouldnt take much to break/bend it. IMHO it is a 50/50... On a normal car, no way in hell at 10kph, but you never know with a shitty frame.

thrasher22
02-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Of course there is no 100% way of knowing without looking, but I'd say there is pretty much no way you could have damaged his frame.
Its pretty easy to destroy hoods and headlights, they don't pack enough punch on their own though to bend someone's frame. I've had 2 accidents really similar to what you described (apperently I didn't actually learn how to drive until after high school... :rolleyes: ).

Hoey
02-04-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by gofastmerc
I really don't think it would matter if had "frame" damage or not. If the car is only worth $400, replacing the bumper can cost twice that. Basicly, you just bought that car, if he wants to try to get some cash from it.

Let him get some estimates worth 2K, then offer him $400, and he can keep his car. If he wantd to go through insurance, he will get $400, and lose his car, because they will write it off.

But yeah this is what really gonna happen, its not gonna matter if it has frame damage.

DC2Legend
02-04-2007, 11:29 PM
wow unlucky break, i would hate it if that ugly POS honda owner tries to pull as much money out of ur pockets just cause his car was damaged, which isnt worth fixing.

And even if u had info on the truck, it wouldnt matter, cause even if he did drive in the middle, it doesnt make a different that all the fault is at u. even tho he may have caused ur accident (somewhat)

whiskas
02-04-2007, 11:30 PM
If you rolled under his car there probably won't be, especially at 10km/h

Don't pump your brakes when you're in that situation. I'm assuming your car doesn't have ABS in which case you gently apply your brakes, the moment you feel the car skidding release the brake gently (fully if it's really bad) until the wheels regain traction and repeat the process again.

In very bad situations a car without ABS will stop quicker than a car with ABS.

Audio_Rookie
02-04-2007, 11:35 PM
86 fiero, without abs, summer tires and no weight on the front tires, I let go of the breaks and tried to gently steer both directions...nothing.

I have driven this car through hell and been ok, This was just a bad situation where I first expected the truck to move but he didn't and I did not have enough space to slow down the car enough to regain control.

by pumping I meant touch brakes, let go and try to get tires rolling, touch brakes again ect...

rc2002
02-04-2007, 11:50 PM
What was that truck driver doing driving in the middle of the road anyway? You should've hit him instead. At least that way the fault would be 50/50.

3G
02-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Dunno about 84 honda civics but once i had a accident similar to urs, i smoked a full size van from behind and my car got under it, i had broken headlight, dented hood and fender and all it needed was the bumper to be straightened and I was goin 50-60

Chester
02-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Someone smoked my car on thursday night and left. Now I need a new bumper:whipped:

Annoyingrob
02-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Chester
Someone smoked my car on thursday night and left. Now I need a new bumper:whipped:
Welcome to the club. :whipped:

Audio_Rookie
02-05-2007, 07:43 PM
still no call from the guy. The wait is killing me, its hard to sleep at night. I just want him to call me and tell me the damage (or lack there of).

Eric G.

Audio_Rookie
02-08-2007, 06:52 PM
350$ was what he was quited, I ran to his house and just paid him...im glad he didnt rip me off and say there was frame damage.