PDA

View Full Version : KTM suspension work in Calgary

ktm400
02-05-2007, 08:39 PM
What's up folks, this is my first post in this forum. As the title says, I am looking for someone to upgrade the suspension on my 2001 KTM 400sx. I want to give someone my forks and shock absorber, tell them my height, weight, and how I ride, and for them to do the rest for me. I have friends who have had this done and say it makes a whole world of difference. Does anybody have any recommendations in the Calgary area? Any help would be appreciated.

eclipse00
02-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Now that RMR is gone the best place is revoluzione
Ken is the guy that you want to talk to and he does kick ass work. I think that he should be able to work on your KTM as well.

craigcd
02-05-2007, 08:56 PM
You wanna talk with Chris Bonneau from Pro Action Suspension. He can get everything set up for you but be prepared to pay for it, suspension work is pricey.

I would take a look at www.ktmtalk.com and see if you cant get it set up by your self. Service your suspension all the way around(ie change fluid/seals) set rear sag, and read up on suspension set up.

If not call Chris i know he has been out of the country getting some treatment. If he cant help you (got very sick this summer) he will guide you in the right direction.

A good local website to check out is www.rockymountaindirtriders.com

Craig

ktm400
02-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I've been on ktmtalk, but I don't think that I want to mess with everything. I'm alright doing my fork seals, but obviously a technician will have to recharge my shock absorber. My friends paid around $800 for a full setup, is this pretty accurate to what I would pay?

craigcd
02-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by ktm400
Thanks for the help guys. I've been on ktmtalk, but I don't think that I want to mess with everything. I'm alright doing my fork seals, but obviously a technician will have to recharge my shock absorber. My friends paid around $800 for a full setup, is this pretty accurate to what I would pay?

Yaa i would say thats about right depending on the set up. Honestly it isnt that hard to set it up your self. If you take some time to learn you can save some money. I wouldnt be having my suspension set up professionaly unless i was racing professionaly. Which im not.

I know alot of really good riders and they all dial in there own suspension basically from reading up and trial and error. You really have nothing to lose by trying yourself before taking it to be done.

Where are you planning on riding? What do your friends ride? Are you racing?

Craig

ktm400
02-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Yaa i would say thats about right depending on the set up. Honestly it isnt that hard to set it up your self. If you take some time to learn you can save some money. I wouldnt be having my suspension set up professionaly unless i was racing professionaly. Which im not.

I am looking for more than a simple calibration. I don't exactly know what I would need to tune the bike for my weight, (185lbs) other than new springs in the forks. I have tried a lot of different settings on my bike, none of which offer the strength that I desire. I usually ride the trails, but I would like to have suspension good enough to hit the track more often. I have been to the track a few times, and the suspension really held me back.

The friends who have had their suspension professionally done ride the following: 2001 CR250, 2003 YZ250F (engine completely done up), 2006 YZ250, and a 2003 CR250. The guy who worked on theirs is a close friend of one of the mentioned bike owners. Everyone, with exception to the close friend, paid full price. I would go through this guy, but he doesn't work on WP suspension.

I know that I do not need this done, but I think I will go this route anyways.