PDA

View Full Version : need n00b snowboard advice

Gadgetboy
02-06-2007, 12:42 AM
I've only gone like 5 times, but I picked it up pretty quickly probably because I used to skateboard a lot when I was younger. Now I'm looking to buy my first board. I was looking into getting a package deal from boardzone.com, and was wondering if this would be a decent setup for someone like me. I have no idea what's good or what I need in a board, so I just chose one based on graphic, and figured I'd just adjust my style to the style of the board. But here are my options:

Lamar Intrigue <- this is the one I was going to go with
Lamar Ultra
Lamar Cruiser

Lamar Matrix boots
LTD LT30 bindings

And this package is $350. Is this an ok deal? Anybody have any input as to whether this is a decent package?

Fado
02-06-2007, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Gadgetboy
I've only gone like 5 times, but I picked it up pretty quickly probably because I used to skateboard a lot when I was younger. Now I'm looking to buy my first board. I was looking into getting a package deal from boardzone.com, and was wondering if this would be a decent setup for someone like me. I have no idea what's good or what I need in a board, so I just chose one based on graphic, and figured I'd just adjust my style to the style of the board. But here are my options:

Lamar Intrigue &lt;- this is the one I was going to go with
Lamar Ultra
Lamar Cruiser

Lamar Matrix boots
LTD LT30 bindings

And this package is $350. Is this an ok deal? Anybody have any input as to whether this is a decent package?

As an experienced rider, let me tell you that nothing sucks more than riding with shitty gear. Set yourself a little higher budget, and if you can try to get your parents to score you some new gear. In my eyes, $500 min on board, around $300 on boots, and $300 on bindings will get you a boot/binding/board setup that should last you for years. Burton makes some good priced, stylish gear. If you need any help, I ride just about every day at the olympic park, and every weekend hiking backcountry at sunshine. Id be glad to take a newbie to C.o.p to show you the ropes with the crew.

Good luck with boarding man.

marko polo
02-06-2007, 12:50 AM
cant complain for $350. hell my boots alone cost more than youre package. Just make sure its the right size. if i can remember right anyhthing under youre nose and above chin in length is the proper size.

Gadgetboy
02-06-2007, 12:53 AM
I'm not exactly 16 anymore, so asking my parents for dough for snowboard gear isn't really one of my options. Is this actually shitty gear though? I've just been riding rented equipment, so is this like a lateral move? Or even a bit of an upgrade? I don't go very often (maybe a couple times a year), so I don't really want to spend that much on something I won't use very often. I just figured since this is pretty cheap, I'll be better off than renting everytime I go.

marko polo
02-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Fado

As an experienced rider, let me tell you that nothing sucks more than riding with shitty gear. Set yourself a little higher budget, and if you can try to get your parents to score you some new gear. In my eyes, $500 min on board, around $300 on boots, and $300 on bindings will get you a boot/binding/board setup that should last you for years. Burton makes some good priced, stylish gear. If you need any help, I ride just about every day at the olympic park, and every weekend hiking backcountry at sunshine. Id be glad to take a newbie to C.o.p to show you the ropes with the crew.

Good luck with boarding man.

i dunno man, if its his first board going cheap isnt a bad idea. i first started out on a cheaper setup something similair to what youre looking at and it did the trick for me.

FungusMonkey
02-06-2007, 01:00 AM
It will work, but Lamar isnt that good. You would want to upgrade soon enough. Good bindings is a must though, nothing worse then being at the top of the mountain and having one snap or a strap falling off.

DarkDream
02-06-2007, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by marko polo

i dunno man, if its his first board going cheap isnt a bad idea. i first started out on a cheaper setup something similair to what youre looking at and it did the trick for me.

^^werd

The most important thing is to MAKE SURE they are your size

Isaiah
02-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Here's my advice as a 2nd year rider:

I have a Lamar board and it's been great. When you're new, you may accidentally hit rough patches which can grind up your board pretty good. I spent $about $400 all together and my gear has served me well for my 2 first seasons.

I initially bought regular bindings but I didn't like having to sit down before every run to strap in (as a new rider, you'll spend enough time on your ass as is) so I swapped them out for some Flow bindings which are terrific.

The Flow bindings have a harness which you basically step into, and then a clip on the back that you just pull up to lock them in as opposed to regular bindings that have the two straps. I'm always the first one to actually get on the hill while the guys are still strapping in.

The bindings were about $120 on sale.

Gadgetboy
02-06-2007, 01:12 AM
yea, I've read Lamar isn't that good, but is someone of my skill level going to notice an inferior product? And is this setup going to be better than rented equipment? That's pretty much my main concern here. If not, then I'd be satisfied with renting for a while until I'm ready to commit to spending more on snowboard gear.

Impreza
02-06-2007, 01:13 AM
I got a forum recon package for $599, forum recon boots + board + binding. Well, I actually upgraded to thirty-two boots so I paid a bit more, but for $599, you really can't go wrong! It is really decent gear without spending over a grand. I used it this past weekend and no regrets watsoever! Just remember, don't cheap out on boots!!!

Gadgetboy
02-06-2007, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Impreza
I got a forum recon package for $599, forum recon boots + board + binding. Well, I actually upgraded to thirty-two boots so I paid a bit more, but for $599, you really can't go wrong! It is really decent gear without spending over a grand. I used it this past weekend and no regrets watsoever! Just remember, don't cheap out on boots!!! Actually I was just looking at that too. $600 is a little more than I'd like to spend, but if its worth it to spend the extra $250 (wow almost double) then I'd consider looking into this as well.

marko polo
02-06-2007, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah
Here's my advice as a 2nd year rider:

I have a Lamar board and it's been great. When you're new, you may accidentally hit rough patches which can grind up your board pretty good. I spent $about $400 all together and my gear has served me well for my 2 first seasons.

I initially bought regular bindings but I didn't like having to sit down before every run to strap in (as a new rider, you'll spend enough time on your ass as is) so I swapped them out for some Flow bindings which are terrific.

The Flow bindings have a harness which you basically step into, and then a clip on the back that you just pull up to lock them in as opposed to regular bindings that have the two straps. I'm always the first one to actually get on the hill while the guys are still strapping in.

The bindings were about $120 on sale.

werd, buying good bindings are key. if anyhting on your e board is going to break its gonna be youre bindings. my first setup i got when i was young i got cheap bindings and had to replace them the next season.

my first pair of good bindings were a pair of burton customs that i got like 5 years ago and I still use them to this very day. the think is though good bindings are definatley not cheap. prolly looking at around 200 for a good pair.

Isaiah
02-06-2007, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Gadgetboy
yea, I've read Lamar isn't that good, but is someone of my skill level going to notice an inferior product? And is this setup going to be better than rented equipment? That's pretty much my main concern here. If not, then I'd be satisfied with renting for a while until I'm ready to commit to spending more on snowboard gear.

With regard to renting, I would definitely say don't. Get your own equipment because it will encourage you to get out more frequently and the more you go, the better you'll get. Around the 6th or 7th time is when you really hit the steep learning curve and you notice yourself getting exponentially better. I would say you're much better off doing it with your own equipment where you can actually start getting a feel for it and get comfortable.

Hash_man
02-06-2007, 01:45 AM
I think thats not a bad way to start. Lamar stuff isn't great, but some of my friends have used it, and it seems to last quite a while. And most rental equipment sucks and gets abused really badly, but that setup is probably somewhat comparable to most rentals.

Also, IMO what most people are saying about bindings being most important is definately wrong. If you are going to spend more money on the setup, definately put it into boots. There is nothing worse than having your feet start to kill or be really cold half way through the day, almost any rider that I know would tell you that.

I would definately go to a store that carries the boots you are thinking of and try them on, and wear them around the store for a while and make sure nothing is uncomfortable (ie: pressure points, etc.)

I have been riding for like 7 yrs, started out with a kind of shitty setup, and as I got more into the sport I have upgraded equipment, no point in spending a shitload of money on something you just started. Besides, once you have the basic setup you can always just replace one component as you see fit.

Gadgetboy
02-06-2007, 01:51 AM
alright thanks for the input everyone. Now a final question.

the Forum Recon package (Forum Recon boots, bindings and board) for $615
vs
the Lamar package (Lamar Matrix boots, LTD LT30 bindings, Lamar Intrigue board) for $350 taking price into consideration.

Isaiah
02-06-2007, 01:57 AM
For a starter package, I would say go with the Lamar package and then upgrade one component at a time as you wear them out or your skill level improves. I would probably upgrade the board last.

ONS
02-06-2007, 02:30 AM
Personally when I was starting, I went with the slightly more expensive setup (I plain liked it more) and ended it riding it for the past 7 years. If I went with a cheap(er) setup, I surely would have replaced all of it after a few years. However, you said that you likely won't be riding very much, so justifying dropping lots of cash right away doesn't make much sense. Lamar does make decent stuff, so if you want a starter board that will last you a couple years until you are ready for something better, its probably a good bet. As people mentioned, be cautious about the boots you are buying. Try to get something with a moldable insole. Really sore feet will ruin any great powder day. Plus, your boots will last a long time. Good luck!

death_rabbits
02-06-2007, 02:59 AM
i'd say just wait until next season. around september all the snowboard shops will be selling off their last season's gear for cheap. i got my k2 satellite board for like $130 doing that a year ago (and at the exact same time they were selling for over 200 on ebay), and k2's actually some pretty good shit for the money. for the whole package, burton boots, and k2 bindings and board i think it was around $400-500

ercchry
02-06-2007, 03:30 AM
ok so i've been riding for over 11 years now and i have had many different boots, bindings, and boards all have been different anything from sport check specials to top of the line shit from the source

what i have found from all this is that the only thing that is important is that you are not in pain from either pressure points due to shitty boot/bindings or the cold weather outside, this is all that really matters

for buying a deck, unless you are competing or something it really doesnt matter as long as you have some good wax(dependent on the weather for the type of wax) and the deck is in good shape and not to stiff and not to flexable

for example i have owned a few very expensive high end decks and destroyed them in as little as half a season and right now i am back on a sport check special (i think it cost me like 70 bucks) and i am still able to rip it up pretty good sure the edge cant stay stable at high speed the same as the others have but for a fraction of the cost and the fact that i have only made it out about 10 times this year i dont really care

and for buying specials a great time is at the end of the season and before the next one, most of the main shops in town have sales where you can get about 50% off at those times

buh_buh
02-06-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm looking for a new snowboard too, and I'd go with the Forum setup over the Lamar.

Mr.Buffy
02-07-2007, 07:33 PM
If you don't go with the package from Boardzone, you could check out the Source. You can get some good deals for some '06 gear. I picked up last year's Burton Boxers boots for 50% off (got more because I knew the guy). You'd probably want to try on some boots locally to see which brand fits you the best. Wear thicker socks, go near the end of the day. Make sure your toes are barely or just touching the ends, heel doesn't lift a significant amount. The boot will break-in and loosen up. Some Burton boots come with the J-Bars that you can put in for additional heel support.

If you do break up the package, keep in mind that Burton boards are not the 4x4 binding insert pattern. Burton has their own 3D pattern. If you buy Burton bindings, they'll come with the pattern for both a Burton and non-Burton board. If you buy a Burton board with a non-Burton binding, make sure you get the 3 hole compatible binding, which shouldn't be a problem.

Don't forget a helmet too! Lost a friend due to a snowboarding accident with no helmet.

Mr.Buffy
02-07-2007, 07:39 PM
And like some guys have been saying, if you can afford it, spend a bit more. I have only been riding one season before this one, but you'll find that you progress quite quick. I found myself replacing some lower end stuff not too long after...but with the board, not as much as an issue...

Crymson
02-07-2007, 08:01 PM
I rented all last year when I was learning. I had my own boots, but i got crappy rentals at the mountains.

This year i picked up a Burton Custom X, and some Flow Amp5 bindings. It's made a world of difference having good stuff, that you're used to time and time again.

rc2002
02-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Burton Custom is versatile and find it to be good all around but not particular good at any one thing. It's a good board and it should easily last you a few seasons.

You get what you pay for with gear. Make sure you get comfortable boots and bindings since you'll be in them all day.

trieuth
02-12-2007, 10:55 PM
for the size of the board, its not all about the length of it, its about your weight.

if the board is rated for someone who's 190 and you are 160. the board is gonna be so stiff its just gonna toss you around.

you should to get a board thats meant for your weight

ercchry
02-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by trieuth
for the size of the board, its not all about the length of it, its about your weight.

if the board is rated for someone who's 190 and you are 160. the board is gonna be so stiff its just gonna toss you around.

you should to get a board thats meant for your weight

umm.. k

i would say that the width is important and also the length and the amount of flex is up to the rider

if a board is tossing you around its probably the riders fault not the board

yohan4ws
02-14-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm a new rider as of Dec 9th this season..

I got used gear and new boots... Burton Ruler boots, quickest tightening ever.. I love em! I was told "dont buy cheap boots" and that my roommate spent much time throughout the day adjusting both his bindings and boots, i didnt want that to be me and know how sore feet impact a day from new skates in hockey..

My feet did get sore, but that was cleared up by adjusting my stance... you'll want to play with that a bit. My front foot is about 16 degrees and back foot is about 5-7 out .. That's where I finally got comfortable.

I have a D Walsh Forum Board with Burton Mission bindings with toe clips ... boots were new $289 and other gear was $300 ..

I spent double what I wanted, but thats because of the boots. Now I obsess about going all the time .... take the advice, get good boots n bindings.

As for learning, COP is ok early in the day before its crowded ... but do the rocking back and fort left foot forward, right foot forward facing the bottom of the hill to get your balance on your heels (or toes) .. but alternate and do both, then start going back and forth .. New boarders WILL fall on ass a lot and WILL fall on hands/elbows a lot, wipe out on your head a couple times (helmet manditory in my opinion) but its part of the learning process.. was about my 3rd time out I learned how to fall and dont have horrid straight on the tailbone falls.

The trick to learning :: don't quit.

For me, I felt a lot more safe going into hills that had a lot of powder, never hurts falling in 40cm of fresh snow straight on your ass.

that's my rant.... i'm no expert, but this is my experience... now i want to learn the terrain park!

ercchry
02-14-2007, 12:25 AM
^^^ if you go in the park remember dont sit in the way of anything and dont sit in blind areas (bottom of jumps)

MackDawg
02-14-2007, 01:33 AM
My advice to any one starting off, don't blow all your cash on the best board/ bindings cause it’s not going to make you any better.

One should consider how many times they go out, because to rent its $45 for every thing most the time right? Well if you only go out 5 times a year that’s $225.00 right, well if you bought a Forum package for $600 and only ride the thing 5 times. You save $225, but your still out $375 on the long run.

I do agree that any 1 should put the money up to buy a good set of boots, cause there’s nothing worse than your feet cramping up and being soar the next day.

There’s nothing wrong with Lamar boards, shit after my old Santa Cruz I bought a Kevin Jones pro board for $300 when the Bike shop was clearing out in 99. That board lasted me 3 seasons before moving on to Ride, Nitro, and now Lib Tech. I myself bought an expensive board because I ride every weekend and it’s not at C.O.P.

Case in point, you got to ask your self how often will you be going out a season and will buying the best be economical for the amount of riding you do compared to renting or buying something that wont break your wallet.

Masked Bandit
02-16-2007, 05:54 PM
If you are going to splurge on anything...spend the money on good boots.

boi-alien
02-19-2007, 12:54 AM
make sure you get good bindings the last thing you want are those things exploding on you while you're at the top of the hill. And get decent boots cause that's what your feet will be in all day. i cheaped out on boots when first started and they were so uncomfortable that it made riding not very fun.

mo_money2supe
02-19-2007, 01:54 AM
I'm not too familiar with owning my own equipment as this is my first year owning, but I've been renting and riding for the past 8 years, albeit I went no more than 4 times a year. I never thought I was that great at snowboarding that's why I never considered owning.

Anyway, after realizing that it's much cheaper to own than to rent, I bought some used Burton boots and bindings and only a cheap Sport-Chek special Firefly board, but boy, did I notice a HUGE difference compared to the rentals. Sure the board's cheaper than nearly everything I've rented before, but the upgraded boots/bindings makes a world of difference in the overall set-up.

As mentioned numerous times before, don't cheap out on the boots and bindings; IMO, they make a larger difference than boards in terms of price differences. Don't feel ashamed of buying used gear either, 'cause snowboard equipment doesn't hold its value, so with some searching, you can find some nice stuff for cheap that has only been used 2-3 times.

Speed_69
02-19-2007, 01:39 PM
I went snowboarding for my first time ever on saturday at c.o.p and i fell ALOT. It was very frustrating and paintful haha but i don't want to quit...so just wondering how long did it take everyone to get better and become decent at boarding?

Audio_Rookie
02-19-2007, 02:02 PM
about 10 full days for me.

Man did I ever wipe out alot.

And I didnt really start on the easiest hills either lol. I would start, and just as I got a little speed, wipe out....

then wake up at the bottom of the hill in total pain. Then go up and try it again.

Wiping out all day is the most tiring thing ive ever done lol.

mazda_maniac
02-19-2007, 02:17 PM
On the topic of noob snowboarding. I have a couple words to say, would you drive a ferrari with 14 inch steelies? Make sure all your gear is about the same level. As a beginner a softer board will be more forgiving. Although you can outgrow the beginner boards quite easily with skill in under 20 times. I'de say spend the extra cash and go a bit higher. The guys saying 300 bucks can get you a decent pair must by burton.... or thirty two.
You can get killer boots for between 200 or 300
Awesome bindings for around 200-300
Also an awesome board for under 500

I'de do the following, wait a couple weeks head out to banff for a good time and buy your shit at rude boys. Their end of the season blowouts are unreal. Those boys also know what would be best for you.

Isaiah
02-19-2007, 02:30 PM
After reading everything above, I still say stick to your budget. Don't feel pressured by a sales guy to get a $600 board or package which will include a decent board but otherwise shitty bindings and mediocre boots.

When I was shopping for my first equipment, I went to Abominable and the guy thought he was pretty slick. He asked me what my budget was, I told him ~$500 and he said, "You can't on the hill for that amount. I can get you a GREAT package for $800!"

I left, got my equipment somewhere else, and paid <$400. No complaints as of yet.