PDA

View Full Version : Skidding

redart
02-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Post your skid stories!

Freezing rain = ice roads what a joke trying to get to work. Yesterday I was on the Whitemud Freeway along with another car beside me both of us were skidding downhill. You know you have no control when you hear that terrible skidding sound. The other vehicle beside me spun a 180 and stopped, and I was still trying to keep control manuevering my steering wheel here and there. Thank God the cars behind us did not crash into both of us.
Both of us were safe but both shocked.

Today, again, I'm going downhill but on another road, starting to brake for a yellow light and then I start skidding, this time I spin a 360. No control this time, happened so fast yet it felt like slow motion at the same time. Again, thank God no cars were directly behind me or beside me this time, so there weren't any collisions.

Seriously I am freaked out at these roads. How about some sand heh??

khtm
02-06-2007, 11:41 AM
How about better tires heh??

teggypimp95
02-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Or driver .....lol jk

Isaiah
02-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by khtm
How about better tires heh??

:rofl:

tictactoe2004
02-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Im glad you live in edmonton and I live in calgary.

The only time thats ever happened to me was when I was a young punk and doing something stupid.

marko polo
02-06-2007, 12:09 PM
i got a story. some punk kid detroyed 50 yards of my fence and fucked his truck up because he was going to fast on an icy road in springbank.

Kona9
02-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by redart
Post your skid stories!

EDMONTON!!!!!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl:

In reality though it happened to me this morning. I Live in the Westhills area. Coming down a hill towards an intersection with still a ways to go before the light. (300 metres or so) Brakes were not jammed on, yet only slightly for slowing. Truck started to slide. I blipped the gas while in neutral and popped it into first. Did a small compression slide while holding the wheel straight and no gas. Straight as an arrow I coasted in first with minor braking to the intersection.

Its a brand new truck so the tires are fine. Not a bad driver myself I might add! ;)

edit: 6:30 am. No traffic. Roads were shit this morning due to yesterdays melt and overnight lows.

DarkDream
02-06-2007, 12:11 PM
lol, I was at edmonton yesterday just for a day.....and the roads were HORRIBLE all day!!

Does Edmonton ever shovel there snow???

magicmario
02-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Some dumbass was infront of me and slows down and starts doing a u-turn in the middle of the road. I slam on my brakes and skid. He didnt notice me until he was about half trough his turn. He finally sees that i am going to hit him. I manage to turn enough and avoid him by mere inches. I was pissed what a idiot:banghead:

Annoyingrob
02-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
Its a brand new truck so the tires are fine.
Just because it's a new truck doesn't mean the tires are fine. I would highly suggest you ditch the "all season" (no season) tires that came on it, and get some good winter tires. For the safety of everyone on the road.

alloroc
02-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by magicmario
Some dumbass was infront of me and slows down and starts doing a u-turn in the middle of the road. I slam on my brakes and skid. He didnt notice me until he was about half trough his turn. He finally sees that i am going to hit him. I manage to turn enough and avoid him by mere inches. I was pissed what a idiot:banghead:

I'm not saying what he did was right ... but you realize if you did hit him anywhere in the rear 1/3 of his car it would have been your fault - for either speeding due to the road conditions or following too close. How was it he was able to slow down and remain in control and you not?

CasperWho
02-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by DarkDream
lol, I was at edmonton yesterday just for a day.....and the roads were HORRIBLE all day!!

Does Edmonton ever shovel there snow???

No, they plow. Just like every other major city. :D

Supa Dexta
02-06-2007, 05:39 PM
There is some pretty damn icey spots in edmonton right now... I have decent snow tires on it, but they flat out suck on ice, I don't know if its just the sentra, but I get lock ups REALLLLY easy (slow speeds, "threshold braking"..etc.. lots of winter driving under my belt.... And even taking off I get slip now and then, just this morning I was pulling onto a street, with a bit of an incline, hardly any, but to get going was nuts, car would hardy move, 1st, 2nd..etc no revs at all it just wouldnt catch up... everyones got it spun up to a fine mirror finish...

meh... Atleast I'm right side up heading down the highway as opposed to the others off in the ditch...

fast95pony
02-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Post your skid stories!

Today, again, I'm going downhill but on another road, starting to brake for a yellow light and then I start skidding in my underwear , this time I spin a 360. No control this time, happened so fast yet it felt like slow motion at the same time.

BlackArcher101
02-06-2007, 10:02 PM

That's odd. I had no problems at all driving around Edmonton yesterday and today.

Either you need better tires or more experience. Nokian FTW! :thumbsup:

schocker
02-06-2007, 10:21 PM
I skidded on some black ice after work last week, i was turning onto the one road and started sliding straight towards the medain, but i pulled out of it.

Euro_Trash
02-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

That's odd. I had no problems at all driving around Edmonton yesterday and today.

Either you need better tires or more experience. Nokian FTW! :thumbsup:

Exactly, I drive Edmonton roads everyday and don't find them all that bad. They are icy but not any different than any other year

Kona9
02-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob

Just because it's a new truck doesn't mean the tires are fine. I would highly suggest you ditch the "all season" (no season) tires that came on it, and get some good winter tires. For the safety of everyone on the road.

Thanks Pops!!:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Annoyingrob
For the safety of everyone on the road.

:rolleyes:

GTS Jeff
02-07-2007, 02:02 AM
Post your skid stories!

Freezing rain = ice roads what a joke trying to get to work. Yesterday I was on the Whitemud Freeway along with another car beside me both of us were skidding downhill. You know you have no control when you hear that terrible skidding sound. The other vehicle beside me spun a 180 and stopped, and I was still trying to keep control manuevering my steering wheel here and there. Thank God the cars behind us did not crash into both of us.
Both of us were safe but both shocked.

Today, again, I'm going downhill but on another road, starting to brake for a yellow light and then I start skidding, this time I spin a 360. No control this time, happened so fast yet it felt like slow motion at the same time. Again, thank God no cars were directly behind me or beside me this time, so there weren't any collisions.

You sound like a terrible driver.

hjr
02-07-2007, 10:41 AM
i had some serious FUN 2 days ago in etown. Im the hooligan that people see sliding on offramps and through corners

redart
02-08-2007, 03:13 PM
i was quite confident that this sort of thing would never happen to me as i've done a lot of driving in edmonton winters for over 10 years and have never skidded like this particular instance before. but there's always a first i guess. few icy patches from the freezing rain that you see a fair bit of vehicles skidding over. just be happy that you're safe and your vehicle is fine.

whiskas
02-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by hjr
i had some serious FUN 2 days ago in etown. Im the hooligan that people see sliding on offramps and through corners

By etown do you mean tokyo?

Mr_ET
02-08-2007, 03:28 PM
my guess is he drives around in the snow and ice on his poo poo all season tires that came with his civic in 2005.

All seasons are ok for summer but please but winter tires or you probably won't be so lucky next time and it will cost much more then a set of 4 decent winter tires...

hjr
02-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

By etown do you mean tokyo? i wish. there are only like 10 offramps in all of edmonton.

anyways --- hooliganism cannot happen with all seasons. winters FTW!!!

if you live east of vancouver, you probably need winters. thats just the ways it is.

people with out them always play down the difference between winters and all seasons. the majority of people who buy winters, will from then on always buy winters. thats the difference they make.