PDA

View Full Version : How should i launch?

88CRX
05-24-2003, 11:39 PM
I am going to be racing at the track next friday and was just wondering how exactly do you launch? crx with a zc on all season tires...... should i just rev it up to 3k and complete let the clutch out or do i have to feather it out?

Thanks.......

92 Teg-B18A
05-24-2003, 11:51 PM
hmm, it's kinda hard to be told how to launch. It depends on the conditions etc.
Just practice till your launch is smooth :)

88CRX
05-24-2003, 11:54 PM
but can i simply let off the clutch all at once? or will that do damage?

Speed_Dreams
05-25-2003, 12:17 AM
You can just dump the clutch at 3k RPM and then you might just break the tires loose and thus being a shitty launch. you could rev it 2 3K and then feather it out making sure your tires get traction then giver.

If you dump the clutch at 3k it COULD snap your CV shaft or various other important parts to make you go

eur0
05-25-2003, 03:30 AM
3k?? Id go higher personally, id go at about 5000, depending on the traction of ur tires, you really need to get honda motors in higher rpms to get a good launch, 3000 wont do much for you...You can try but i doubt you will get the same results

boi-alien
05-25-2003, 04:31 AM
i usually launch at about 4-5, then feather

4wheeldrift
05-25-2003, 11:12 AM
When the transmission explodes as soon as you dump the clutch, you are launching hard enough ;)

Mckenzie
05-25-2003, 11:17 AM
Yeah hondas need to be launched a bit higher to get into their power band.

The other day I launched at about 5k and rode the clutch.... it took off fast but when I got to the end of the street all I could smell was burnt clutch.

So by riding the clutch, you can get better launches with little or no wheel spin, but you also risk burning the clutch out and warping your flywheel.

But by just dumping the clutch, you will most likely just spin your tires, or if you launch at too low rpms, you will just bog down. you have to find a happy medium between dumping the clutch and riding it out a bit for the best launch.

You also put alot of stress on your engine mounts when putting the car under immediate acceleration.

StrokeD z
05-25-2003, 12:50 PM
unless you have a 13sec car i dont know why you would feather it...if you pop the clutch at 3 grand your car is going to bogg out man

AutodreamMarvin
05-25-2003, 01:00 PM
depending on conditions.
5k and somewhat feather the clutch if the track is sticky. or 3-4k depending on how cold it is.
rule of thumb. NEVER DUMP the clutch. only if you like wheel hop. you can pull that off on a 3k launch but 5k with feather will be better. i'll be there next week so i can probably help you out.
just look for a maroon civic.

three.eighteen.
05-25-2003, 03:35 PM
i found the best results is like you rev up to optimum launch rpm (i dont drive a honda) and let it out hard but stay on it and modulate/feather out the last several millimeters of the pedal...

88CRX
05-25-2003, 04:26 PM
ya... ill be there in my red crx so feel free to stop by and say hi and maybe we can race :thumbsup:

4wheeldrift
05-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by StrokeD z
unless you have a 13sec car i dont know why you would feather it...if you pop the clutch at 3 grand your car is going to bogg out man It's called mechanical empathy. Some of us find replacing clutches twice a year expensive.

CRXguy
05-25-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by tbk49
3k?? Id go higher personally, id go at about 5000, depending on the traction of ur tires, you really need to get honda motors in higher rpms to get a good launch, 3000 wont do much for you...You can try but i doubt you will get the same results

5k? Are you kidding? If I did that, I'd kill my tires.

I usually hold the revs at 3k, let the clutch out quickly, and I'll spin for like a second then it hooks up. You can also hold the revs at about 4500, slowly feather out the clutch, and once you feel the car lurch ahead, let it all out and gas it at the same time. Almost as quick an as AWD car. :D

RiCE-DaDDy
05-26-2003, 12:54 AM
definately some kind of clutch manipulation other than dumping it unless its AWD, but car clutches arent meant for that

GTS Jeff
05-26-2003, 02:05 AM
i think i need to work on my launches. for some reason, i bog even if i dump the clutch from 5k. it basically chirps then bogs. i have a brand new clutch but super sticky tires as well. and im RWD! wtf!

gpomp
05-26-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
i think i need to work on my launches. for some reason, i bog even if i dump the clutch from 5k. it basically chirps then bogs. i have a brand new clutch but super sticky tires as well. and im RWD! wtf!
You suck at launches. I beat you off the line in a FWD while bogging my car.

Ben
05-26-2003, 10:14 AM
heh heh heh, Its all about clutch manipulation...I can launch my car rather well.

tegdream
05-26-2003, 10:39 AM
whats bogging

Ben
05-26-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by tegdream
whats bogging

its when your car falls out of its powerband, and so it has to creep back into it...kinda like how if you were to start in 3rd gear instead of 1st.

GTS Jeff
05-26-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

You suck at launches. I beat you off the line in a FWD while bogging my car. we were even off the line u putz.

three.eighteen.
05-26-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

dump + feather...just plain dumping it is for neanderthals...and try launching from 6...or just redline and dump it...if you still bog...then you for sure either need a new clutch or more practice driving

dsm69
05-26-2003, 06:01 PM
Make lots of runs of fri with different launches (adjust your tire psi, rpm clutch dumps etc..) and see how it effects your 60ft times and youll learn the best way to launch! THANK GOD FOR AWD:poosie: