PDA

View Full Version : parking lot accident

civiclvr
02-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Hey all,
my car was just involved in an accident in a parking lot with the gf driving it.. guy backed out without looking into my rear quarter panel and spun her a bit after just droppping me off back at work after a lunch date. a co-worker say it through the office window, i didn't.
i'm a little in shock.. my poor car is all dented and the door won't open properly (pass. side) and she's in shock too.. (neither of us ever been in an accident)
i don't know what my next step is. I have all the guys info (number, lisence, policy number and company)
what do i do next?
thanks
Paul:(

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Call your insurance company and report it, then tell them what happened, answer any questions and follow and instuctions. I would probably file a police report as well.

lilmira
02-07-2007, 03:40 PM
I hope you have some pictures of the damage on both cars at the scene. No words describe better than pictures.

File an accident report right away regardless. The longer you wait, the less you remember.

Contact your insurance agent if you decide to go through them.

Get an estimate and start calling body shops in town. You might have to live with the damage for a while as a lot of them are probably booked solid.

Masked Bandit
02-07-2007, 04:09 PM
If he was the one moving from the parked position then he is completely at-fault. Call your insurance broker.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Unless you have several witnesses, most insurance companies will call it 50/50 anyways..

civiclvr
02-07-2007, 04:16 PM
I took picture of my car with the shitty camera phone.. he hit my car with his right rear corner and has no damage (other than a couple scuffs) his car (a jetta 96-ish. i think) has a big back bumper and my puny little EF quarter panel didn't stand a chance (hell it's not reinforced at all)
gf is taking the car to the police now to file a report
my poor car.. it's things like this that make me wonder if i should be even trying to build a nice car :( i'm pretty down about this
I've been looking at the bodyshops list and i'll try a few on there.. might as well support a beyond sponsor

Masked Bandit
02-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Unless you have several witnesses, most insurance companies will call it 50/50 anyways..

Not so.

If one party is leaving a parked position, they are at-fault. If BOTH parties are leaving a parked position, then it's 50/50.

civiclvr
02-07-2007, 04:26 PM
I have a couple witnesses ( a favourite pastime of the engineers at this office is to watch the mess that is our parking lot (One Executive Place if anyone knows it) so about 3 engineers and a drafter were watching it happen.. then they came and got me

guy backed out without looking into drive aisle

shock is being replaced by being PISSED off:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

lilmira
02-07-2007, 04:35 PM
If you can get all the witnesses to file reports about the accident too then you will be in a very good position.

Mr_ET
02-07-2007, 04:35 PM
I was hit in the front driver fender in a parking lot a few years ago. I was waiting for someone to drive by and this moron was coming out of an outside ATM machine lane. He had a big f150 and I had a little tercel. I wasn't moving so it was entirely his fault. We both drove to a police station and filled a report and he agreed that he was at fault so I had no trouble with my insurance company.

If you have something from him somewhere saying he is at fault you are fine. If the pictures clearly prove he is at fault then no problem. If, when you file the police report, he says he is at fault then no problem also! If he refuses to say he was at fault and there is no way of proving it from the pictures, it's your word against his and it will go 50/50. Just hope this guy is not an ass!

Pics of bodywork and finished product would be cool and I feel your pain I have an EF too.

Kona9
02-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by civiclvr
.. it's things like this that make me wonder if i should be even trying to build a nice car :( i'm pretty down about this
I've been looking at the bodyshops list and i'll try a few on there.. might as well support a beyond sponsor

Hey man sorry to hear about this. Don't let it stop you from modding your car. It's just like not wanting to live because something may happen. Anything can happen anywhere. Don't let it get you down.

There has been alot of talk about Screamin' Paintworks. try them on for size. Ask EK2.0 for first hand experience with them.

Good luck with it all!