PDA

View Full Version : im new. . .so have some patience. . .hehe

SeRb
05-25-2003, 11:37 AM
:dunno:
i read some post about a guy asking how to launch when he goes to race. . .

and some people were talkin about dumping the clutch and feathering it etc. . .

well i just got my license a short while ago, and i haven't had the chance to try driving a car with a manual tranny. . .

my car is auto.

can someone explain to me what you mean by that?

lammer
05-25-2003, 11:43 AM
i think by dropping it - is by like just letting go of your foot so the clutch springs up right away and you gas it.
im not expertee on the manual driving either so im just guessing here
and
by feathering it is like realeasing the clutch slowly until you start to feel the car shake? then when the light turns green you drop it and gas.

just a guess.

ConVict
05-25-2003, 01:28 PM
Alright...
In a manual you have a clutch that engages the engine to the tranny, and disengages it when you push it in. When you dump it, you are revving your engine nice and high with the clutch pushed in, you let go of it as fast as possible. Thus making your tires start off nice and quick. usually resulting in burning out because the tires wont have enough traction.
Feathering is revving your engine high, but realeasing the clutch slowly so you still accelerate quickly but you dont lose traction on the tires. The more you let go of the clutch the more power from the engine gets to the ground. So you are just trying to get the fastest launch possible with out lossing the grip on your tires.

both have down falls and both are bad for your car.

SeRb
05-25-2003, 01:33 PM
thanks for clearing things up

fast95pony
05-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by ConVict
both have down falls and both are bad for your car.

Dumping the clutch can ruin the muffler bearings.

Ben
05-25-2003, 04:36 PM
A feathered launch is like threshold braking. In threshold braking, you are decellerating just shy of the point of lock up, in a feathered launch you are manipulating clutch pressure, thus regulating the amount of driveline power transfer from your motor to the drive axles, keeping the tires JUST shy of the point of traction loss (power going to the gripping/accelerating of your car)..

Dropping the clutch, thats just wheel spin in most cases, makes lots of smoke, but not as energy efficient. Every car is different, you have to find the point of which your car makes the most power without wheelspin, and you can just feel it. It pulls so cleanly.