PDA

View Full Version : where to go for used skis

nagooro
02-08-2007, 01:23 AM
Im planning on buying used skis + boots, so I can stop wasting money renting them. Anyone know of any good places to go to to buy cheap used skis and boots?

Thanks

Redlyne_mr2
02-08-2007, 01:27 AM
There is that sportswap place in town..however I find them to be a ripoff considering used skis are worthless IMO. Youre better off just buying a brand new set...check out the sportcheck in deerfoot mall, they always have cheap skis and packages for the entry level skier. Lots of sales should start happening now too. Sportsmart is anothe good option, they should have some super cheap packages right now.

Lex350
02-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Its the wrong time of the year to buy used skis. At the end of the season is the prefect time. Lots of selection and good prices.

WE got used sjis for the kids at Abominable Sports. I bought new at Sportscheck

Afrodeziak
02-08-2007, 10:29 AM
www.biglines.com forum

usedcalgary.com

craigslist.com

eBay has some really good deals too.

nuge77
02-08-2007, 10:33 AM
I agree with Mr2, used skis are such a gamble. If you do really want used skis you need to hit up the ski swap at the Max Bell Arena before the season starts and take someone knowledgeable with you. At this late point in the season all the decent used stock has already been picked over and if you don't spend a lot of time around skis it can be difficult/impossible to pick out some of the signs of wear/abuse.
I helped a friend pick out a pair of entry level skis last week and ended up with these ones from SportChek:
Atomic Senior 520 (http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do/asAdvertised?dispatch=style&styleId=30909).
It'll be pretty tough to find a better deal on a ski of this caliber for entry level.
As for boots, that's totally up you. Everyone's foot is a little different. Try out as many boots on as you possibly can for 10-20 minutes. You are looking for something snug without any pressure points. Boot liners will pack out so you don't want get something too big or you will be sliding around in them after they break in and cause blisters.
If you get a good salesperson they should tell you most this stuff anyway.