PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen Golf - 2 engines

SeRb
05-25-2003, 12:21 PM
:hitit: - i was at an autoshow a while ago. . .like 3 months back
and i came across a golf with 2 engines. . .how it works, i dunno, but i think i heard that they work simultaneously

he has one in the front, and one in the back behind the drivers seat

this guy hasn't lost a race yet i think. . .
i have a pic of it, but i couldnt get a closer pic of it because when i went there the batteries on my dig. cam ran out

hopefully the pic works

Ben
05-25-2003, 04:27 PM
did you physically see the second engine, cause the VR6 under the hood of that 2000lb car should be enough as it is!

I've seen one controlling the front wheels, and one controlling the rear, but in their stock form, 174x2 = alot of fuggin power in a little car.

VWhooligan
05-25-2003, 07:10 PM
that'd be nuts! over 300hp in old vw like that would decimate alot of other cars. and if it had AWD, yes plz!

Hipermax_d
05-26-2003, 12:06 AM
it would eat gas twice as much as before too

BarryBeach
05-26-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Hipermax_d
it would eat gas twice as much as before too

i think if the guy is crazy enough to put two engines in a car ... he ain't to worried about gas :D

but that is a nice ride.

Zephyr
05-26-2003, 12:15 AM
the car in my sig has two V8 passat engines a W16 engine... its a bugatti i think i spelled that right

James
05-26-2003, 12:16 AM
That car is from ontario or Quebec, and yes it does have TWO VR6's, the tranny setup is crazy, there was a feature spread on the car in a past issue of PAS, i'll see if i can find it, the Dash also has some crazy airbrushed art on it. wicked car.

Shaolin
05-26-2003, 12:17 AM
sorta like that Tibby with the 2 engines in SCC.. the thing was badass on the straights, but you turn with that thing at high speed and it's all over.

Ben
05-26-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr
the car in my sig has two V8 passat engines a W16 engine... its a bugatti i think i spelled that right

Its one big motor man.

W16 Engine

New technical elements in the W16 engine

The alloy-block W16 engine in the Bugatti EB 16-4 Veyron is innovative and totally unique. Two exceptionally narrow V8 cylinder blocks using the VR principle are combined at an included angle of 90 degrees. The resulting 16-cylinder engine can develop a mighty 736 kilowatts (1,001 brake horsepower) at 6,000 revolutions per minute. The W16 is installed as a mid-engine ahead of the rear axle, and measures only 710 millimetres in length and 767 millimeters in width.

Its W pattern is not only the key to these compact dimensions and the generous engine size and power output from such a compact unit; it also makes the engine exceptionally rigid.

Four turbochargers help to give this 7,993-cc engine a peak torque never before available in a passenger car: 1,250 newton-meters (922 lb/ft of torque). The temperature of the charge air is reduced by passing it through two water-cooled charge-air intercoolers located above the cylinder heads. No fewer than 64 valves admit the mixture to the cylinders and expel the exhaust gas; they are operated by roller cam followers from four chain-driven overhead camshafts with continuously variable valve timing.

The continuously variable electro-hydraulic camshaft control system is active in all operating conditions. For perfect coordination of the W16 engine, two independent computers per cylinder bank and a main control unit are used.
http://www.vwvortex.com/news/09_01/bugatti/05.jpg

James
05-26-2003, 12:27 AM
my bad, its a totally different mk2 with 2 VR6's! lol.this one in the mag is purple, different front end, wheels etc.., located in Toronto with over 400hp at the wheels! done by www.evolution-racing.com ..nice! :bigpimp:!!

itsnotaDUB
05-26-2003, 01:12 AM
id give it time and wait for a W12 when they come out, mmmmmmmmmm.. .cant wait

SeRb
05-26-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Ben
did you physically see the second engine, cause the VR6 under the hood of that 2000lb car should be enough as it is!

bro, just brighten ur screen as far as it will go. . .and u can see the thing behind the seat. . .
ive seen it but like i said, i dont know that much about cars to tell you how it all works

Originally posted by James
my bad, its a totally different mk2 with 2 VR6's! lol.this one in the mag is purple, different front end, wheels etc.., located in Toronto with over 400hp at the wheels! done by www.evolution-racing.com ..nice! :bigpimp:!!

yeah it is from toronto, my friend said he knows the guy, there was an autoshow near the airport up here like back in the winter. . .
i forget what it was called. . . extreme something i think. . .
went with my schools shop class

DUBBED
05-26-2003, 07:45 PM
i have a performance vw with a mk3 golf in it with two turboed vr6 engines in it.....

cocoabrova
05-26-2003, 08:44 PM
I think Dubsport in the UK was the first to do two turbo'd VR6's in an MKII, but the thing only ran like 12sec. in the 1320:dunno:

Ben
05-26-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
I think Dubsport in the UK was the first to do two turbo'd VR6's in an MKII, but the thing only ran like 12sec. in the 1320:dunno:

LOL, only...but yeah, for AWD one would think way faster. :dunno:

ecstasy_civic
05-27-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by James

im looking at the article in my sport compact canadian mag. its insane.:drool:

sin
05-27-2003, 12:09 AM
a smiley wouldnt do my drooling justice

hjr
05-27-2003, 11:08 AM
nice car alright. Im not sure about corners though. This beast would still have mad torque steer because of unlinked AWD. Great for 4wheel drifting and burnouts though.

J.D. McNugent
05-27-2003, 10:52 PM
ya I have seen a couple twin engine golfs in performace vw over the years, even in the MK1 which is amazing considering how small and light they are.... that baby blue MkIII that dub sport did, I dont think it was going for quarter mile times, they geared it to reach 200 miles an hour using the final, taller, gears out of the diesel gearbox...I didnt ever hear if it got there but I'm sure it came damn close!