PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for a First Bike?

s--dime
02-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Hi im going to be purchasing my first motorbike this spring. I have taken training and received my license not that long ago. Iam going to be purchasing a 2k6 gsxr600 and I got some insurance quotes (im just getting basic) and it was only $305 for the entire year...does that sound right? I checked around at a few other places and they were all about the same. I lost my license a while back for a DUI and just got it back in September and I informed them of that and they told me it really does not effect my rates on a motorbike much? Is this true?

cmodem
02-09-2007, 01:17 AM
ummm 305 for a 600...

are you sure you are getting full insurance?? that is public liability, comprehensive, and collision?

i would think the dui would cause your premiums to go up but it probably doesn't affect just liability coverage that much on a motorcycle. You should be taking a huge hit in collision though.

which companies are you trying? damn if you are getting 305 for full coverage i'll go there i'm paying 300 for liability only lol on my 1000.

cmodem
02-09-2007, 01:19 AM
sorry i'm stupid you said just basic... lol

TurboMedic
02-09-2007, 02:15 PM
collision would about double that.........I pay about $600 for theft plpd and comprehensive......theft and collision were about the same with my quotes. I chose theft over collision because crotch rockets are disposable. If I crash it, my bad, but really I'm only out <10G's, so lesson learned....But if someone steals it, I want my money back!!! I think its more likely in my hands to be stolen than crashed, I'm not that crazy.....but whatever suits you..... Having full coverage for myself would have been about $900/year.

PM Masked Bandit.....he will hook you up with insurance, great guy to deal with!

Supa Dexta
02-09-2007, 07:33 PM
wtf.. I always hate hearing about guys with shit records getting cheap rates.. True its only basic but still, I've had my bike lisence 8yrs now, no tickets..etc and I pay 1100 for everything but vandilism and with that it would be like 1600 or so..

:guns:

kevie88
02-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
wtf.. I always hate hearing about guys with shit records getting cheap rates.. True its only basic but still, I've had my bike lisence 8yrs now, no tickets..etc and I pay 1100 for everything but vandilism and with that it would be like 1600 or so..

:guns:

Time to look for a new insurance company methinks! State farm has great cheap bike rates (the company I'm with) But I think they want you to transfer everything to you before they insure you on a sportbike. Probably not a great deal for the average person..

Supa Dexta
02-09-2007, 10:19 PM
I dunno, its actually masked bandit who I'm with, hes been good to deal with.. And at the time I called almost 20 places... One was slightly cheaper, but hell to deal with even for a quote, so I passed on them... :dunno:

The Cosworth
02-09-2007, 10:23 PM
I call :bullshit: on the rates, not saying your full of it. there is no way, I have had my license 3 years with no problems and my insurance is 650.

also for a first bike a 600 is a big bike so take 'er easy on it and I would get full coverage for sure, you WILL crash or lay it down or drop it, or learn the hard way where not to park, drive and wish you had it then

Supa Dexta
02-09-2007, 10:33 PM
I wish I was lying.. haha. But i just renewed the beginning of feb, and it was 1080 or so.. I pay cash, all at once, no tickets/claims.. And as I've mentioned just about the 8yr mark with my bike lisence, although I didn't have a biek the entire time. 05 r6 and I use a price of 9k to base the value on it... I'm not sure if it has something to do with not havng continuous coverage since I was 16 or what, I doubt I could find the paper work for past insurance companies I've been with since it was back in NS and I have no idea where that stuff would be nowadays.. so who knows,

bandit!!!....haha

The Cosworth
02-09-2007, 10:35 PM
I wish I was lying.. haha. But i just renewed the beginning of feb, and it was 1080 or so.. I pay cash, all at once, no tickets/claims.. And as I've mentioned just about the 8yr mark with my bike lisence, although I didn't have a biek the entire time. 05 r6 and I use a price of 9k to base the value on it... I'm not sure if it has something to do with not havng continuous coverage since I was 16 or what, I doubt I could find the paper work for past insurance companies I've been with since it was back in NS and I have no idea where that stuff would be nowadays.. so who knows,

bandit!!!....haha

no no sorry, not calling :bullshit: on you... I was more saying to the OP that I doubt that is what he would be paying..

Even masked Bandit got me the best rate at just under 500 for a 1000CC with 3 yrs experience and the first major deduction off (21)

Masked Bandit
02-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by s--dime
Hi im going to be purchasing my first motorbike this spring. I have taken training and received my license not that long ago. Iam going to be purchasing a 2k6 gsxr600 and I got some insurance quotes (im just getting basic) and it was only $305 for the entire year...does that sound right? I checked around at a few other places and they were all about the same. I lost my license a while back for a DUI and just got it back in September and I informed them of that and they told me it really does not effect my rates on a motorbike much? Is this true?

When was your DUI conviction?

If it was within the past three years then that quote (through Nordic) is wrong. You are about $150 short.

If your conviction was more than than three years ago then that number is correct....for PLPD only.

Running a newish bike with a fresh license and PLPD? Bad idea.

Masked Bandit
02-09-2007, 11:34 PM

bandit!!!....haha

Unfortunately the extra paperwork wouldn't make a difference. With Nordic (the company that insures most of the sportbikes), they only have two real ratings....zero and one. Zero is for the new riders and people with a fresh accident and one is for everyone else. Once you have hit 25 and at least a one rating then there is nowhere else to go.

Sorry mang....

Kobe
02-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Mmmm maybe my broker will be able to get me a cheaper price for my insurance... ;) ;)

s--dime
02-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Iam the OP. My DUI was 18 months ago, The quote was just for plpd and I was a Zero on the license scale, the quote is also through state farm.

Grip172
02-12-2007, 10:02 PM
i got my first bike, a k5 gsxr 600. basic insurance came to just over $600/year with masked bandit. i got a quote for full insurance it comes to roughly 1200/year

$305 for your quote seems impossible

ricefarmer
02-12-2007, 10:24 PM
nope, that quote is about right, i pay less than $600 for full coverage on my new bike, Insurance companies go by engine size....
back when i had my zx6 i paid less than $300/yr for just plpd and i was only 16 with no bike training:dunno:

sounds like you guys are all getting raped

mroseneder
02-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Clean record, no collisions, no demerits.

2005 883 Sportster - $1119 full coverage
2007 ZX10 - $1649 full coverage

Both of those are shopped rates. I was quoted $3100 on the 10.

24 y/o white male, driver training, class 6 for three years, bike training.

EDIT: Get full coverage for your first bike. The new 600s are like my old ZX9... 125 horsepower and very fast. YOU WILL CRASH IT. Everyone does... It'll fall over, get knocked over and get dropped. It'll happen. Get full coverage. Cheaper in the long run.

Phlav
02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
yeah that price sounds about right. I've been paying $250/year for quite a few years now on my 2k3 R1 for just plpd.

Kobe
02-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by ricefarmer
nope, that quote is about right, i pay less than $600 for full coverage on my new bike, Insurance companies go by engine size....
back when i had my zx6 i paid less than $300/yr for just plpd and i was only 16 with no bike training:dunno:

sounds like you guys are all getting raped

Sounds like you might have my old broker lol
She quoted me for like 650/y for full insurance, i paid, then 2 months later calls, and tells me they dont insurance sport bikes..

you might want to look into that full coverage charge, unless your 21+

TurboMedic
02-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by ricefarmer

Thats why I like my 750.....more boot and same insurance bracket! Gonna suck when they release a bunch of 800cc's in the next few years.....

Cowtown_Raider
02-13-2007, 09:10 AM
I remember paying $300/year back in the day for my 95 ZX-6R. I was paying about $1000/year in the summer with Western General Insurance, but switched to President's Choice Insurance when I got a new car. I shopped around and PC was the cheapest I could find. Now I pay $839/year including plpd, collision, and comprehensive coverage. No accidents, tickets, or demerits. Mind you, I'm a bit older than 24 :rolleyes: