PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1 is no longer full synthetic?

Xtrema
02-11-2007, 01:18 AM
According to Wikipedia:

Controversy
In 2006, the results of a gas chromatography test on Mobil 1 5w-30 EP were posted by an industry expert on the popular motor oil discussion website BITOG. It showed the oil to be primarily composed of a less expensive, Group III hydroprocessed mineral oil. Until this time, Mobil 1 was believed to be a true synthetic, utilizing a Group IV (PAO) basestock. The release of this information has led to a backlash against ExxonMobil's lubricant products in the automotive community. Ironically, in 1999, Mobil fought Castrol's change in formulation to a Group III basestock in motor oils being marketed as fully synthetic. Mobil claimed that Castrol was decieving their customer base, while degrading their products. The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus eventually ruled that Castrol could continue to market their Syntec line as a fully synthetic motor oil. ExxonMobil currently refuses to comment on the primary basestock of their Mobil 1 series of oils.

Is that why Walmart is selling them for $25 for 4 litres?

gpomp
02-11-2007, 03:22 AM
this has been discussed before.

old&slow
02-11-2007, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
this has been discussed before.

So what was the out come?

A2VR6
02-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by old&slow

So what was the out come?

Mobil 1 isnt a group IV synthetic anymore... thats the outcome.

Whitetiger
02-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Still a lot better than convential motor oils though.

The Cosworth
02-11-2007, 06:56 PM
I hear GTX is starting to get really good? anyone,

I still dont like that they are allowed to call it full synthetic even if its not (processed oil is not synthetic).

Misrepresentation i think

ryder_23
02-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris

Huh? whats gtx? Castrol GTX??? cause they have syntec as their synthetic line.

DonJuan
02-11-2007, 11:15 PM
OK so whats the oil to use now?

A2VR6
02-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by brendankharris

Castrol GTX was always been good for a non-synthetic oil...

Anyways, back on topic. Good oils I would say would be stuff like Amsoil, Redline, LubroMoly, Motul.

danlowteg
02-12-2007, 12:42 AM
lubromoly is all that i use. best oil for the money :thumbsup:

A2VR6
02-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by danlowteg
lubromoly is all that i use. best oil for the money :thumbsup:

how much do you pay and where?

Carlo
02-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Anyone use motul?...its 100% synthetic

replayboy
02-12-2007, 11:22 AM
MOTUL 8100 ESTER BASE=PIMP SHIT

BoS_DC2
02-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by replayboy
MOTUL 8100 ESTER BASE=PIMP SHIT

How much are Motul and Lubromoly?

replayboy
02-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by BoS_DC2

How much are Motul and Lubromoly?

THE 8100 ESTER IS ABOUT $17.00/LITRE

silver_gs-R
02-12-2007, 07:14 PM
I use Mobil1 5W30, but my next oil change I will probably be switching over to Acura 5W30 RDX Turbo Oil...

90_Shelby
02-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Davenport sells Motul. PRICEY SHIT!!!! It's high roller Oil.:bigpimp:

euro_racer
02-12-2007, 08:04 PM
is it true that synthetic oils like mobil1 are not good for turbocharged engines? i just bought a 4.4l of mobil1 but after looking frough other forums i saw that some people say it is not good and even the dealer does not recomend it, but then some people say it does not make a difference and you can use it and it is better than regular....what do you guys think?

infamous
02-12-2007, 08:19 PM
does anyone know how good royal purple is? i've heard good things, but i'm between it and redline.....any suggestions?

ercchry
02-12-2007, 08:35 PM
i used redline when i had the 240sx thought it was good stuff but when it costs you $60 to do your own oil change you have to wonder if its worth it

rc2002
02-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Motul is good stuff.

I used Mobil 1 for years then I switched over to just normal whatever's on sale oil in my daily driver and haven't noticed any difference whatsoever.

BoS_DC2
02-13-2007, 04:46 AM
I just bought some Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 4.7L Jug for $24.99 at CT. Was it worth it and is Pennzoil any good?

Mangina
02-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by BoS_DC2
I just bought some Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 4.7L Jug for $24.99 at CT. Was it worth it and is Pennzoil any good?

It's not a true synthetic either, but it is a really good oil.

googe
02-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by euro_racer
is it true that synthetic oils like mobil1 are not good for turbocharged engines?

no

euro_racer
02-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by googe

no

no, as in its not true, or its not a good thing? :nut:

Redlyne_mr2
02-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Mobil 1 is garbage...best non synthetic is gtx..best off the shelf synthetic is the syntec...best track oil...royal purple or motul.

R!zz0
02-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan
OK so whats the oil to use now?

I use castrol 0W-30 100% synthetic thats made in germany. I seriously think it's better then M1

sneek
02-14-2007, 07:02 PM
LOL people are nuts for the green stuff!

I haven't tried it yet, but I bought 6L of it. I think I will flip it on ebay. I would like to try amsoil, but I don't like the fact that i can't find the API "starburst" anywhere. Not API certified means it's not going into my car!!

My lawnmower runs PP and I think its a pretty good oil! I might just use it for my next oil change.

Oh yea... M1 0W-20 FTW if you can find it. It is fully synthetic, but I can't find it anywhere.

sneek
02-14-2007, 07:05 PM
from another forum:http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18631

I got into this discussion a few weeks ago on a Powerstroke Diesel site.

Mobil has in fact changed Mobil1 but it still is a true PAO. I called and spoke with a senior Mobil chemist and verified this. Mobil is also aware "of some oil guy on the internet's" claims otherwise. They have been fielding many calls regarding this supposed changed to Group III.

(By the way, the guys in Stuttgart at Porsche still think it is a PAO. How dumb do you think they are?):)

googe
02-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Mobil 1 is garbage...best non synthetic is gtx..best off the shelf synthetic is the syntec...best track oil...royal purple or motul.

do you have any basis for these claims?

i dont know why people get into brand arguments over oil, its not like anyone ever has any idea what theyre talking about or has a background in chemistry and did any tests on this kind of thing. and you certainly better not say it "feels better" :)

Redlyne_mr2
02-15-2007, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by googe

do you have any basis for these claims?

i dont know why people get into brand arguments over oil, its not like anyone ever has any idea what theyre talking about or has a background in chemistry and did any tests on this kind of thing. and you certainly better not say it "feels better" :)
At the track after a fresh oil change the mobil would be dirty as hell, on the streets after a recent oil change the mobile would be dirty as hell after a few hundred K. Switched to Castrol and never had that issue again. Once I got some decent oil in the car it stayed clean all day long while still being abused at the track. Oil temps would get high but never any serious drops in oil pressure from it breaking down or anything. Its obviously impossible to truly determine an oils performance unless you test 2 exact vehicles under the same circumstances and pull their rod bearings to examine the wear. Mobil 1 has just never sat well with me...the stuff you get at Porsche however is a totally different oil and kicks ass but it costs.

DonJuan
03-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Where do you get royal purple? I'm thinking of going with the pennzoil platinum or the syntec. If and only if Mobil 1 is no longer a full synthetic.

A2VR6
03-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Where do you get royal purple? I'm thinking of going with the pennzoil platinum or the syntec. If and only if Mobil 1 is no longer a full synthetic.

Mopac sells it.

Alpine Autowerks
03-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
At the track after a fresh oil change the mobil would be dirty as hell, on the streets after a recent oil change the mobile would be dirty as hell after a few hundred K.

Switched to Castrol and never had that issue again. Once I got some decent oil in the car it stayed clean all day long while still being abused at the track.

Oil temps would get high but never any serious drops in oil pressure from it breaking down or anything.

.the stuff you get at Porsche however is a totally different oil and kicks ass but it costs.

Ryan all of those observations are telling you you need M1..it gets dirty because the natural cleaning action is picking up and suspending the crap other oil has left behind. make sure you are using a good filter (not fram) .

lower oil temp ..always a good thing .

I see engines open all the time ..you can tell the ones with M1 or other quality synthetic(Not Castrol or Amsoil) . they are clean with much less valve deposits, valve stem wear etc .. few engines I work on ever have bearing wear.

I use Lubromoly cuz it easier to get in 5w40 which covers 90% of the cars I work on

A2VR6
03-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks

Ryan all of those observations are telling you you need M1..it gets dirty because the natural cleaning action is picking up and suspending the crap other oil has left behind. make sure you are using a good filter (not fram) .

I see engines open all the time ..you can tell the ones with M1 or other quality synthetic(Not Castrol or Amsoil) . they are clean with much less valve deposits, valve stem wear etc .. few engines I work on ever have bearing wear.

I use Lubromoly cuz it easier to get in 5w40 which covers 90% of the cars I work on

why do you say not castrol or amsoil? do you find more deposits and wear with those?

DonJuan
03-03-2007, 08:37 PM
^ :werd: Partsource has a sale on Syntec, but I've always been partial to Mobil 1. But I will change if better oil can be had for less.

crewchaud
03-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Royal Purple all the way baby! :burnout:

gp36912
03-03-2007, 08:48 PM
um... ive been using m1 5w-50

Alpine Autowerks
03-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

why do you say not castrol or amsoil? do you find more deposits and wear with those?

yes

aeroes
03-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Do you guys know if its bad to use a synthetic oil in a new car? My car is less than 5000K.

Alpine Autowerks
03-04-2007, 11:30 AM
^ :werd: Partsource has a sale on Syntec, but I've always been partial to Mobil 1. But I will change if better oil can be had for less.

Syntec is a hydrocrack mineral oil ...it is NOT a synthetic

Originally posted by aeroes
Do you guys know if its bad to use a synthetic oil in a new car? My car is less than 5000K.

it is not bad to use a better motor oil

DonJuan
03-04-2007, 06:25 PM
But if you use a full synthetic oil during the breakin period on a new car, the rings wont seat correctly because it won't wear in... right?

hussein
03-04-2007, 06:45 PM
But if you use a full synthetic oil during the breakin period on a new car, the rings wont seat correctly because it won't wear in... right?

I don't really know, but I have heard/read that some higher end vehicles come stock with "synthetic" oil. I am pretty sure that if it was bad, they wouldn't ship with it. I don't know if this is true though, just thought I would throw it up.

When I got my path, I used the oil it came with for the first 5000km, but there after I used M1, mainly because I heard that too, but didn't really know if it was true.

So based on the posts in this thread, it is still a good idea to run M1, compared to other oils?

A2VR6
03-04-2007, 08:08 PM
honestly, in my opinion Mobil 1 moving from a group 4 PAO oil to a group 3 hydrocracked oil wont change much for the every day consumer... it's still a very very good oil. You wont notice much if any difference. I guess the real issue is if it's "worth it" to pay the same price as before.

Personally, Im still going to use mobil 1 when I run out of my supply of amsoil. Im not going to go and pay $17 a litre or whatever it is just because an oil is isnt a group IV or V synthetic anymroe.

94teg
03-04-2007, 11:21 PM
AMSoil for me, the first and leader

reeskm
03-05-2007, 02:28 AM
I just drive my 180SX on the street, and never drive it that hard. Ok, maybe I kick it up on the highway, but i barely ever hit redline.

So I don't get all this... I'm not a motor head but if the jug of 5w50 M1 'SuperSyn' I just bought says "sythetic motor oil" on the front, how is it not synthetic? Is it a blend? All oil should eventually hydrocrack. Synthetic just resists it better than conventional, right?

Redlyne_mr2
03-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks

Hmm good to hear from a pro, I assumed the nasty looking oil was because of breakdown from high temps.