PDA

View Full Version : My vista

Supa Dexta
02-11-2007, 11:49 AM
I bought a computer at FS back in nov I think it was, at the time they had a deal to upgrade to vista for free when it was released.. However I don't think they took my address (but I can't remember for sure, as I knew I was planning on moving), and I've since moved to edmonton, so I'm curious how I go about getting it? Can I take my receipt to any FS and get a copy? Or will they think I'm trying to scam them for another copy and mine should have been mailed to me?

:dunno:

tictactoe2004
02-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I bought a computer at FS back in nov I think it was, at the time they had a deal to upgrade to vista for free when it was released.. However I don't think they took my address (but I can't remember for sure, as I knew I was planning on moving), and I've since moved to edmonton, so I'm curious how I go about getting it? Can I take my receipt to any FS and get a copy? Or will they think I'm trying to scam them for another copy and mine should have been mailed to me?

:dunno:

All the ones I know of have to be ordered from the system manufacturer like HP or Gateway... check the website of your brand of PC and you should be able to find the details.

TeamBestBud
02-11-2007, 12:00 PM
When I picked up a laptop for my aunt, the dude told me to go to futureshop.ca/vista, but I can't seem to find anything on there. The guy was being a dick however since I refused any help from him (I fucking hate pushy salesman with a passion).

wildrice
02-11-2007, 12:05 PM
i'm pretty sure you have to take your machine in the store for them to do the install for you. they don't give you a disc.
should be able to just bring in your receipt and desktop to any fs and they'll do the install.

1-Bar
02-11-2007, 12:18 PM
you will need to register your hardware with the manufacture. Then you have to contact them and send them proof of purchase w/ the serial # of the item you bought on the receipt.

They will mail you the disc for a s/h fee. You proceed to FS produce your receipt and copy of Vista and you get the installation for free. Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Supa Dexta
02-11-2007, 12:47 PM
ok, but but why would I need them to install it? I could cut them out can't I?

2BLUE
02-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Go to the website that ytoure computer is from.

Register the dam thing with youre address and what not.

I faxed my proof of purchase in.

6-8 weeks you'll get it.

I just registered my womans laptop 5mins ago...you'll get it in the mail.

Install it youreself.

Toshiba
Vendor Upgrade Web Site www.toshiba.ca/vistaupgrade
Phone # TBD
Fax # TBD
eMail Address TBD
Mail Address TBD

HP/Compaq
Vendor Upgrade Web Site www.hp.com/go/windowsvistaupgrade
Phone # TBD
Fax # TBD
eMail Address TBD
Mail Address TBD

Acer
Vendor Upgrade Web Site www.global.acer.com/support/winvista
Phone # 800-817-5602
Fax # 801-431-5616
eMail Address [email protected]
Mail Address Technical Upgrade Program
P.O. Box 1918
Orem, UT
84059-1918

eMachine/Gateway
Vendor Upgrade Web Site www.gateway.com/vista/express
or
www.emachines.com/vista/express
Phone # 801-222-4522
Fax # 801-431-4058
eMail Address [email protected]
Mail Address Vista Upgrade Program
P.O. Box 1918.
Orem, UT
84059-1918

Sony
Vendor Upgrade Web Site www.sony.ca/VAIOVISTA
Phone # 1-888-4SONYPC
Fax # TBD
eMail Address TBD
Mail Address TBD

You will need to complete a form to have their Windows Vista upgrade sent to them once Windows Vista launches in 2007.
To complete your upgrade, the hardware manufacturers will require the following information:
Proof of purchase (receipt) of system within the Oct 26th, 2006 - March 15th, 2007 duration. Copy needs to be mailed, faxed, or emailed (scanned copy as PDF).
Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity (COA). The COA is a label attached to the back of your PC or the bottom of your notebook.
Model number and serial number of your PC.

Si_FlyGuy
02-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I got a Sony notebook from Bestbuy in Dec. All I did was log onto the sony canada website, punch in some numbers from my laptop, and give them a mailing address..

Supa Dexta
02-11-2007, 01:09 PM
great, thanks guys...

:)

1-Bar
02-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
ok, but but why would I need them to install it? I could cut them out can't I?

yeap

fiveabi
02-11-2007, 03:18 PM
vista sux dood, watch out, major driver issues. just installed last night sux.

zieg
02-11-2007, 03:23 PM
^Agreed. I personally see no reason to upgrade at least until it's even remotely as secure as xp, and that isnt saying much. Anyhoo, if you can get it for free though, why not. :)

fiveabi
02-11-2007, 04:02 PM
mc in vista is gay.

Supa Dexta
02-11-2007, 05:16 PM
I may not even install it yet, but I should atleast get anything free they are willing to give me.. It can sit here for a while until things are up to speed, or whatever the outcome may be..

fiveabi
02-11-2007, 05:27 PM
true that i'd love a free copy of legit vista

ricosuave
02-11-2007, 06:33 PM
^

if anyone wants to sell theirs, pm me

1-Bar
02-12-2007, 12:29 AM
the free vista upgrades are made specifically for the requested model IIRC.....kinda like recovery disks