PDA

View Full Version : Civic DX (EG) VS Corolla GT-S (AE86)

gpomp
05-26-2003, 01:51 AM
Ran into a red Corolla GT-S tonight. I heard it has a JDM redtop engine? I raced him once from a roll and twice from a standstill. I was pretty disapointed cuz I started to pull away pretty hard by the beginning of second gear. Don't those redtops have ~140hp in a car that's like 2000lbs? Hrm... :dunno:

James
05-26-2003, 02:53 AM
haha, so Jeff's back in town.....already getting owned and i havnt even raced him yet! :rofl:

Cueman
05-26-2003, 07:27 AM
86's are slow.

Stock smallport 4ag's might have 130hp if they're lucky, the largeport is maybe 10hp less. Either way... there is absolutely no difference between the JDM 16 valves and the 16 valves we got here. In Japan they are run using MAP, here AFM.

86 weighs around 2400-2500 stock...

GTS Jeff
05-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Cueman
86's are slow.

Stock smallport 4ag's might have 130hp if they're lucky, the largeport is maybe 10hp less. Either way... there is absolutely no difference between the JDM 16 valves and the 16 valves we got here. In Japan they are run using MAP, here AFM.

86 weighs around 2400-2500 stock... dont be offended when i correct u.

usdm bluetop - 112hp
jdm bluetop - 130hp
usdm redtop - 120hp
jdm redtop - 140hp

---i have a jdm redtop running off a usdm bluetop ecu. im guessing the hp is somewhere around 125...

hatch curb weight - 2400lbs
coupe curb weight - 2300lbs
my cars curb weight with me in it - 2350lbs

Originally posted by James
haha, so Jeff's back in town.....already getting owned and i havnt even raced him yet! :rofl: hey fuck u!! punk, u better race me before u sell your car!

heh, anyway...duncans car is FAST!! that bastard refused to even tell me he was boosting again until -after- we raced...as soon i heard WWWHHHHHHHRRRRRR-psssshhhtt it was all over for me. but then again, i need to work on my launches...

sml
05-26-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

So, you weight 50lbs??? haha! jk. So, what did you gut? Rear seats and passenger seats too?

heh, anyway...duncans car is FAST!! that bastard refused to even tell me he was boosting again until -after- we raced...as soon i heard WWWHHHHHHHRRRRRR-psssshhhtt it was all over for me. but then again, i need to work on my launches...

nono... all his turbo stuff got stolen by some jackass on this forum. He wanted to scare people away by installing a ricer BOV synthesiser!!! It's all pyschological dude... you just lost to a stock dx!!! :rofl:

Cueman
05-26-2003, 05:37 PM
dont be offended when i correct u.

usdm bluetop - 112hp
jdm bluetop - 130hp
usdm redtop - 120hp
jdm redtop - 140hp

---i have a jdm redtop running off a usdm bluetop ecu. im guessing the hp is somewhere around 125...

Red Top and Blue Top is really a misnomer. Early Red Tops still featured the large ports and TVIS of the blue top. Later Red tops, had smaller intake ports, higher compression ratio, and scrapped TVIS. These are the motors that are rated near 140hp, though I'm very skeptical that any make that much power.

Internally, the motors from Japan are identical to those in American cars. The only reason they would make more power, is from conversion to MAF. I've never bothered to convert to MAF, but friends who have, see neglibible gain on the dyno. Difference in Japanese ratings can perhaps be attributed to method of measurement, or padding from Toyota. :werd:

My two coupes weighed 2410lbs and 1980lbs.

Still... whether or not I'm right about numbers is irrelevant. The AE86 still lost to an EG Civic DX... it is slow.

Q
AE86Hater

Redlyne_mr2
05-26-2003, 06:12 PM
Yah but Jeff can't drive, when he drove my 86 he stalled in 4 or 5 times!:D

twincharged86
05-26-2003, 11:17 PM
hey jeff,
let me drive your car . . .

Ben
05-26-2003, 11:21 PM
I'll race ya Jeff :P

thich
05-26-2003, 11:27 PM
The AE86 still lost to an EG Civic DX... it is slow.

the civic had a turbo didn't it?

James
05-26-2003, 11:31 PM

hey fuck u!! punk, u better race me before u sell your car!

lol, you'll probably beat me, but i'll race anyway. so was the civic still turbo'd, has he repalced the parts already, :confused:.or was it a stock dx that you lost to:rofl:

Ben
05-26-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by thich

the civic had a turbo didn't it?

;)

GTS Jeff
05-27-2003, 01:21 AM
u know, reading your post really pisses me off. u know absolutely nothing about ae86s, yet u insist on pretending u do. so please, shut up while ure schooled.

Red Top and Blue Top is really a misnomer. Early Red Tops still featured the large ports and TVIS of the blue top. Later Red tops, had smaller intake ports, higher compression ratio, and scrapped TVIS. redtop and bluetop refer to generational changes of the cars that the 4ag was in, not the actual engine specs. as a matter of fact, there are 4 different kinds of bluetops and 2 different kinds of redtops.
These are the motors that are rated near 140hp, though I'm very skeptical that any make that much power. the toyota dyno department is a fuckload more credible than some "cueman" on a message board who talks out of his ass.
Internally, the motors from Japan are identical to those in American cars. The only reason they would make more power, is from conversion to MAF. actually, i made a mistake in my earlier post. the 88-89 usdm corollas were 120hp whereas the usdm 90-91 corollas are 140hp. it has nothing to do with usdm or jdm. in fact, AFM and MAP dont change power output at all. they both work well and if u knew anything, u would know that converting from an AFM setup to MAP wont help power delivery. the tiny AFM flap is hardly a restriction to airflow. and btw, MAF is a synonym for AFM. jdm 4ags use whats called MAP...not MAF.
My two coupes weighed 2410lbs and 1980lbs. good for u. my coupe is an 85 with no accessories, no a/c, and a partially stripped interior.
Still... whether or not I'm right about numbers is irrelevant. its relevant enough. ure wrong, therefore discredited, and therefore anything else u say is also discredited.
The AE86 still lost to an EG Civic DX... it is slow. cant u read? the civic is boosting 9 lbs.

AE86Hater dont hate on what u dont understand, hoe.

gpomp
05-27-2003, 01:25 AM
BTW, guy that stole my stuff... this race was LAST week.

GTS Jeff
05-27-2003, 01:26 AM
and for the record, duncans car is ghettoly boosted....and yes i know how to drive (well my launches still kinda suck), but no launch could save me anyway.

RiceCake
05-27-2003, 01:32 AM
Seeing boost again anytime soon Duncan?

Cueman
05-27-2003, 07:58 AM
hehe... ok my bad. Maybe it's only my AE86's that are slow. I lose to stockish EF Dx all the time.

MAF... typo... you'll see I used MAP in my first post.

Still... I was schooled, your right. I can't read. Now I'll shut up.

I've been humbled... what are the four different types of blue tops? as I know only of two.

GTS Jeff
05-27-2003, 10:56 AM
hehe... ok my bad. Maybe it's only my AE86's that are slow. I lose to stockish EF Dx all the time.

MAF... typo... you'll see I used MAP in my first post.

Still... I was schooled, your right. I can't read. Now I'll shut up.

I've been humbled... what are the four different types of blue tops? as I know only of two. hmm this isnt the reply i was expecting. then again, i usually only ever flame teen ricers who reply with "fuck u motherfucker ill kill u!"

anyway, i tihnk that there might be something wrong with your corollas man. even in stock form, my car could take on a dx without problems. ive heard that a bluetop can take on an si too. not cuz they make a lot of hp, but because of the crazy gearing in our cars.

hm 4 variations of bluetops...

84-85 jdm - 130hp, small con rods
86-87 jdm - 130hp, big con rods
85 usdm - 112hp, small con rods
86-87 usdm - 112hp, big con rods

not a huge difference haha. anyhoo, ill try to make it to the sunday meet...see u there

Cueman
05-27-2003, 05:24 PM
Well... I'm really just an ASS who loves old Toyota's and wants them all to himself. Forgive me for not sharing the love.