PDA

View Full Version : Black Ice Warning Thread?

Shoebox//Racer
02-12-2007, 02:45 PM
After a long commute home at 1:00 in the afternoon, being witness to 3 accidents and probably 6 or 7 very near misses due to black ice I'm wondering if maybe we should start a weekly thread about black ice spottings on major traffic areas? Maybe its a super cheesy idea, but anyways...

Mine for today is:

The ramp from Crowchild South to Glenmore East right at the apex of the turn, both lanes are sheets of ice. I was travelling at about 20km and was sliding outward at that speed. It looks like there isnt any ice and all the snow has been pushed to the side, but its pretty nasty there.

Good luck on the drive home people!

BigMass
02-12-2007, 02:49 PM
most bridges are bad. Crowchild over Bow Trail is very bad.

RX_EVOLV
02-12-2007, 03:01 PM
yep the Crowchild bridge over Bowtrail is pretty bad. I was going ~ 40km/hr this morning when all of a sudden I started going sideway a little bit ( and DSC didnt kick in). Pretty nerve wrecking especially when during rush hour w/ a huge truck beside you

clem24
02-12-2007, 03:33 PM
How about we start a "get some winter tires thread".

max_boost
02-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
yep the Crowchild bright over Bowtrail is pretty bad. I was going ~ 40km/hr this morning when all of a sudden I started going sideway a little bit ( and DSC didnt kick in). Pretty nerve wrecking especially when during rush hour w/ a huge truck beside you DSC FTW

Originally posted by clem24
How about we start a "get some winter tires thread". lol :werd:

Get some nice soft Q rated winter tires and you'll be worried about others, not you. ;)

BigMass
02-12-2007, 03:44 PM
How about we start a "get some winter tires thread".

oh, ain't you clever :rolleyes:

max_boost
02-12-2007, 03:46 PM
To stay on topic. the bridge on Glenmore East/West bound (over the bow) between Heritage Drive & 18th ST SE is one bad spot. Seems like there has been an accident every morning for the past week.

adam c
02-12-2007, 04:17 PM
i have winter tires and driving my mom home from the hospital i slid half way through an intersection Westbound 16th, close to NAPA.. probably slid a good 40 feet. ABS was going nuts

teggypimp95
02-12-2007, 04:28 PM
IS this thread serious? Its been snowing for days. Everywhere is icey. All the roads have snow and ice on them . All bridges will be iceyer than normal. SO put winter tires on if you have them and if you dont be careful anyways. Leave more time, break sooner. There, now there is no need for the rest of this thread lol :closed:

mroseneder
02-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Uh. Everywhere. Is teh suck in a 2WD company vehicle. Boo.

adam c
02-12-2007, 04:32 PM
oh and i was only going about 30 if that

sr20dets13
02-12-2007, 04:43 PM
yea winter tires dosent mean that you got winters your set and wont crash no matter what lol..i have winters with looots of tread and my cars still all over the place lol but i guess rwd does play a part in this

Isaiah
02-12-2007, 04:47 PM
I agree that winter tires don't make that much of a difference in black ice. I have them on my car and still slid ~20" when I was going <10 kph.

Anton
02-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by sr20dets13
yea winter tires dosent mean that you got winters your set and wont crash no matter what lol..i have winters with looots of tread and my cars still all over the place lol but i guess rwd does play a part in this

Actually it's the winter tires that make people feel like they can do anything in the ice and end up in the ditch because they go too fast. /stereotype

Now this being said, it goes both ways. The people with all-season tires slide around and the people with winter tires slide around as well (I'm not even saying summers cause if someone drives on summers in this weather across town, they are brain dead). I just hate how people say that if you have winter tires then you will never slide around or slip on the ice...

silver_gs-R
02-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Anton

Actually it's the winter tires that make people feel like they can do anything in the ice and end up in the ditch because they go too fast. /stereotype

Now this being said, it goes both ways. The people with all-season tires slide around and the people with winter tires slide around as well (I'm not even saying summers cause if someone drives on summers in this weather across town, they are brain dead). I just hate how people say that if you have winter tires then you will never slide around or slip on the ice...

I completely agree, I have Michelin X-Ice on my car, which is considered a very very good winter tire..... yes no doubt it is an amazing tire, but I sitll have to be very careful when coming to an intersection, or on off ramps....etc....

blah...blah...blah...

how fucking hard is it, SLOW the fuck down...

I dont care if everyone on deerfoot passes me, but I wanna get home in one peice...

Please becareful guys!!!

FishPoo
02-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Mmmmm black ice everywhere.

Even when you least expect it, just leave a lot more space, approach intersections slowly, and don't rush anywhere especially for lights ... just take your sweet ass time getting home safe and sound.

barbarian
02-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Going up Crowchild Tr going North, just south of the Stadium, and the SUV in front of me starts to fishtail a bit. Driver panics, locks up the brakes, and spins out into the wall on the right. Driver was fine, but the vehicle was wrecked.

kaput
02-12-2007, 10:49 PM

black_radiation
02-12-2007, 11:02 PM
4WD W/ 38 X 12.50 all terrains FTW lol, best winter tires ive ever had but i agree with anton about because you have good tires/bigger vehicle you are invincible on the ice, SO not true... i see guys with big trucks like mine just racin down deerfoot, and all i can think is, wow i wonder how long it is till i see his ass in the ditch.

gpomp
02-12-2007, 11:14 PM
my winter tires are useless when it comes to ice. i don't underatnd how people in their 1989 cutlass supreme's blow by me in this weather.

lilmira
02-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Instead of riding on the over-polished section of the road, sometimes I move a little bit to the right or left to ride on loose snow.

Southbound Crowchild exit to 16th Ave east is usually pretty bad, a lot of people can't make it up the hill, even some of those invincible trucks.

M_K_3
02-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
i don't underatnd how people in their 1989 cutlass supreme's blow by me in this weather.

ah my friend its a simple answer, people dont care for there heavy peice of shit in this weather, there for they speed by you knowing if you hit them or they hit you they didnt lose nothing...

TegLover
02-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
most bridges are bad. Crowchild over Bow Trail is very bad.

Aleks
02-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
my winter tires are useless when it comes to ice. i don't underatnd how people in their 1989 cutlass supreme's blow by me in this weather.

Probably because you drive like a granny in the middle of summer, so when it snows out I could imagine the guy in the cutlass could probably get out and walk faster... :rofl: :angel:

Accord_tunerx
02-13-2007, 08:28 AM
shit becareful today damn i was just out driving to mac's to get a drink almost got hit twice!:eek:

joegrang
02-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Here is my 2 cents:

Crowchild to southbound Shag right after the bridge... all the way to market a great deal of loose unpacked snow.

Nufy
02-13-2007, 09:35 AM
You think its bad now.....

Wait until the Chinook hits on the weekend and all this snow if packed into a nice hard sheet of ice...

Maybe not Deerfoot but everything else is screwed...

Sure it melts during the day when its nice out, but when it dips below 0 again at night you might as well be on the track at COP.

ashee
02-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Crowchild north up that hill before the University Drive turn off until 32nd.

sputnik
02-13-2007, 02:37 PM
How about we start a &quot;get some winter tires thread&quot;.

A "dont tailgate" thread would help even more. Winter tires or not, you cant rear end someone if you are far enough behind the car in front of you.

clem24
02-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Winter tires help. They don't make you invincible. But they do dramatically decrease the amount of distance required for stopping. And that is where they make the most difference. If you couldn't stop, you were probably going too fast. It's all about being prepared. You wouldn't run onto a skating rink with your pair of dress shoes would you?

Of course, the *number 1* factor is driver error/inexperience. People following too close, going too fast, getting distracted (please put down your cell - I see too many people on deerfoot right in a huge storm and they're yaking away - is it really THAT important? or just pull over), or just PLAIN STOOOPID. One of the worst I saw was last night: a guy in a Stratus at the lights on 10th St. and Memorial. Maybe he was too cheap to buy a snow brush, but the ONLY part of the car with no snow was where his front wipers reached. So his rear window. COMPLETELY covered in a foot of snow. His side windows, even drivers and passenger front, COMPLETELY covered with snow. His whole freakin' car was COMPLETELY covered with snow. :banghead:

adam c
02-13-2007, 07:03 PM
eastbound mcknight bridge over 36 street in the left lane.. driving normally and then my back end just slid out and revs went up..

nasty ice

Altezza
02-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Centre Street bridge underpass is VERY bad even with winter tires.

Dayclone
02-13-2007, 07:43 PM
130th Intersection is sheer ice,

Southland and Fairmount Drive has ice,

also within the community of Douglas Dale, and Mackenzie,
At 4 way stops, and normal roads have ice, also some areas
are unpaved.

Steve

Slashin_
02-13-2007, 08:04 PM
St george DR NE.....(back road by zooparkinglot) the part parralel to 8ave bridge........around 200m of pure ice....i was stuck for a bit, saw a truck n a van spinnin on ice.....STUPID FUCKIN fan just kept give more gas and shot rocks every where....

crowchild to glenmore overpass is BAD!!!! i saw a car spun out in front of the car infront of me...braked...slipped fishtail right,left,right...counter-steerd......i was fucking scared but damn that was a good move i did....:thumbsup:

Lo)2enz0
02-13-2007, 08:45 PM
how about the whole freaking city. i am not looking for the drive home tonight. i know i will be fine, i am just worried about some crazy ass in a suv

msommers
02-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by mroseneder
Uh. Everywhere. Is teh suck in a 2WD company vehicle. Boo.

4WD is the winter is severely overrated. When you're stuck or at a stand still, it's great. But it seems whenever I'm driving, it doesn't make a difference which one you have if you know how to drive properly.

Quite frankly, it's most of the morons in the big 4x4 trucks and SUV's than need to learn how to drive and slow down a tad when they're fuckin pinnin' er' down the street. God these people drive me bonkers!

l8braker
02-13-2007, 09:02 PM
For pedestrians :rofl: The walkway underneath 9th Ave. across from the roadhouse has some deadly ice. I might run some salt over it tomorrow on the way in.

schocker
02-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
how about the whole freaking city. i am not looking for the drive home tonight. i know i will be fine, i am just worried about some crazy ass in a suv
very true. I have been sliding everywhere, time for new tires, this spare is killing me. People not knowing to accellerate slowly and just hammering the throttle creating more ice is also very nice.

The tally for today

Collision total (accurate to time of release) for Tuesday
February 13, 2007 is:

Injury: 22 (minor in nature)
Non-injury: 276

adam c
02-13-2007, 10:03 PM
i heard there was more then that. close to 350?

schocker
02-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by adam c
i heard there was more then that. close to 350?
Yah, I would think so, probably even more that are un reported. I only saw one today, right infront of the university, talon into back of accord at a red light:rofl: Slowest crash ever.