PDA

View Full Version : Random Phone call saying I've won a Carribean Cruise!!!

Hakkola
02-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Haha, I was just sitting here, doing some school work, when I get a phone call...

"Congratulations, you've just won a cruise to the carribean, to claim your prize press 9 on the key pad, press 9 now."

So I did what any sane person would do and hung up the phone, did a search and turns out it is a scam just like I thought. I guess it's been happening all over the world, kind of strange....

http://www.cyberhq.nl/2005/07/26/free-caribbean-cruise.html

Anyone else get one of these phone calls?

turbolaser
02-12-2007, 02:49 PM
yea once you press 9 it allows them to male long distance cals on your bill or something

Datsun-Fever
02-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Yea my friend talked to them like a Frenchman and they asked how old he was, he said 41 then they hung up on him hahaha how do they expect to scam people!!!??

kaishen
02-12-2007, 03:08 PM
http://howtoprankatelemarketer.ytmnd.com/

this is funny =)

canadian_hustla
02-12-2007, 03:20 PM
they called me up as well, i just hung up

becareful!

GQBalla
02-12-2007, 05:36 PM
lol that prank is funny ahahha

dj_rice
02-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah I got that one too, and I asked them how it is possible that I won when I never entered anything and their reply was YOU JUST WON.

haunt
02-12-2007, 06:04 PM
I've gotten this call twice now. First time, I was a little curious, so I pressed 9. The call transferred and the conversation went like this...
Telemarketer: Yea?
Me: I was called about a cruise?
Telemarketer: ok, are you 25 or over sir?
Me: no I'm not.
Telemarketer: Well than you arent eligible. *click*
Me: son of a bitch... hello?

Thought to myself... what the shit just happened? Then I spent the next couple minutes thinking of what Id say to the sob if I got the call again.
At the end of the month I checked the phone bill to see if there were any weird long-distance calls charged. Nothing out of the ordinary, so I shrugged it off.
A couple months later, I got the call. Waited a bit to see if itd transfer me by itself and then just pressed nine...
SAME telemarketer: Carribean prize claim office
Me: I FUCKED YOUR MOTHER! ... *click*
oh sweet redemption.

Still a bit curious about how the scam (if its not just a prank) works though...

GenerationX
02-12-2007, 06:24 PM
someone should press some other number.
and if they say to claim ur prize
be like
ur a retard, i pressed 5

alloroc
02-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Telemarketers are told they should always stay on the line as long as they can ...

Use this script for a guideline.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~egbg/english/counterscript.pdf

Basically as soon as you ask one question you are no in control of the conversation... its fun.

The end of the scrip where you have to fill in some stuff is BS but otherwise its worthwhile.

dino_martini
02-12-2007, 07:46 PM
yeah I get them all the time. Hang up.

I figure its from when you go to the boat show or the home show or what ever and you enter into the contests at certains booth's. :dunno:

HHURICANE1
02-12-2007, 07:52 PM
They are trying to get businesses with multi-line phones to press 9 so they can get an outside line. As far as I know it won't work on a home line. They gain access to your phone and call long distance and rack up huge bills. I get these at home all the time too.

tictactoe2004
02-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Haha, I was just sitting here, doing some school work, when I get a phone call...

"Congratulations, you've just won a cruise to the carribean, to claim your prize press 9 on the key pad, press 9 now."

So I did what any sane person would do and hung up the phone, did a search and turns out it is a scam just like I thought. I guess it's been happening all over the world, kind of strange....

http://www.cyberhq.nl/2005/07/26/free-caribbean-cruise.html

Anyone else get one of these phone calls?

every time I wait for someone to pick up, I just get hung up on... I think I might be blacklisted from telemarketers or something for the hell i've put them through for all those years...

Oh well, we'll see if those anoying fuckers call back, damnit I have to start recording these calls.

Ok - off topic, easiest way to record home phone conversations?