PDA

View Full Version : some advice

db1
02-13-2007, 09:27 PM
hey all i would really like your help..
im picking up a system for my teg, and i was wondering what a good setup would be?
i was thinking about a 12" JL W3, with a 800 watt amp?
any opinions?

97'Scort
02-14-2007, 10:21 AM
That would pound loud, if that's what you want. Lots of Dynamat if you don't want distortion.

If you want clean rather than just loud, you might want to consider a 10" with 400W (assuming you're with the 10W3v3).

It's up to you!

JRSC00LUDE
02-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Personally, I'd put some real good quality mids and tweets up front powered with their own amp and two 6x9's and two 10's in the back powered off another amp if you want good clear sound all the way around.

If you just want to be a high-school kid that shakes car windows at red lights and stop signs then stick with your 800 watt powered 12 inch idea I guess.

SWX
02-14-2007, 12:00 PM
That cat i would do a big 4ch. components up front and a 12", maybe a 10" depending on the music you like. But no 6x9's, nothing in the back at all for speakers.

JRSC00LUDE
02-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by SWX
That cat i would do a big 4ch. components up front and a 12", maybe a 10" depending on the music you like. But no 6x9's, nothing in the back at all for speakers.

I just like the 6x9's for a bit of rear filler so it's not all bass but too each his own!

hoamic11
02-14-2007, 12:33 PM
what's you budget like?

stevo 27
02-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
a high-school kid that shakes car windows at red lights and stop signs
awww who doesnt love that :D :rofl:
and you forgot about settin off every car alarm in the parking lot
:angel:

SWX
02-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

I just like the 6x9's for a bit of rear filler so it's not all bass but too each his own!

SO when you go to a concert is there another band playing behind you also?

ex1z7
02-24-2007, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by SWX

SO when you go to a concert is there another band playing behind you also?

No but theres not just a large ass sub speaker off the amps the guitars and bass and shit are connected to.. Theres a variety of speakers.

Pure bass = gay. Sub's, tweeters, mid's, all play a roll in sound quality,.. Theres more to music than just BFFFFFFFFTTTT BFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT

SWX
02-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by ex1z7

No but theres not just a large ass sub speaker off the amps the guitars and bass and shit are connected to.. Theres a variety of speakers.

Pure bass = gay. Sub's, tweeters, mid's, all play a roll in sound quality,.. Theres more to music than just BFFFFFFFFTTTT BFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT
The point i'm trying to make is that when you listen to live music all the sound should be comeing from infront of you.
As for my system i have over 600 RMS bi-amped on the front end, so i am quiet a where of haveing more than BFFFTTTT BFTTTTTTTTTTT. But thanks for reminding me.:thumbsup:

Annoyingrob
02-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
If you want clean rather than just loud, you might want to consider a 10" with 400W (assuming you're with the 10W3v3).
Subwoofer diameter has nothing to do with "clarity", you're just talking out your ass.

Two subs with an identical motor will sound the same, just the larger cone will be more efficient.

Edit: If you don't believe me, I'll show you my two midrange 18s at home with a 98db sensitivity.

ex1z7
02-25-2007, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by SWX

The point i'm trying to make is that when you listen to live music all the sound should be comeing from infront of you.
As for my system i have over 600 RMS bi-amped on the front end, so i am quiet a where of haveing more than BFFFTTTT BFTTTTTTTTTTT. But thanks for reminding me.:thumbsup:

Uh.. No man, the acoustics of the area you're enclosed in plays a huge part in what you're listening to actually sounds like. In a park in front of a band on a stage sounds like ass, in an auditorium with speakers in a few key places and the overall design of the room, with sound deadening here and there.. Makes the music sound the way it's meant to, not the way it does down in a parking lot.

I'm not sure if you are 'quiet a where of haveing' more than just bass, are you sure you really know what music is meant to sound like? You can't get the range that music is meant to have from just a large sub and some mids up front, on a 500 dollar budget back in high school maybe, when pure rattling bass was cool.. Doing it right is worth it man.

SWX
02-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by ex1z7

Uh.. No man, the acoustics of the area you're enclosed in plays a huge part in what you're listening to actually sounds like. In a park in front of a band on a stage sounds like ass, in an auditorium with speakers in a few key places and the overall design of the room, with sound deadening here and there.. Makes the music sound the way it's meant to, not the way it does down in a parking lot.

I'm not sure if you are 'quiet a where of haveing' more than just bass, are you sure you really know what music is meant to sound like? You can't get the range that music is meant to have from just a large sub and some mids up front, on a 500 dollar budget back in high school maybe, when pure rattling bass was cool.. Doing it right is worth it man.
Really is that why all the IASCA winning cars have 6x9's in them? Funny but i thought they spent all that time and money to get the speakers in the front was for a GOOD reason, i guess i was wrong. Besides chances are the reason that an out door concert sounds like ass is not because all the speakers are in front it's because the sound system is crap, and your in an open space. Also i didn't once say anything about the listening area, if the sound is good in an auditorium it's because they have spent some money on good gear.
And yes you can get great sound from as little as 5 speakers in a car, if there place right with good power on them.

wrxer1
02-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Some of the most expensive AND best sounding systems i've installed had components in the front, no rears and a small well powered sub or 2.

Including my own system as well.

Accord_tunerx
02-26-2007, 12:19 AM
i got 2JL 10" with 800wat amp...with type s speakers..all way around sounds not bad in a hatch...clean bass for sure:thumbsup:

Jonathan@TCS
03-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Most of the better systems I have built consist of a good set of components up front, and a sub or two in the back. If set up properly, you won't even notice that you don't have speakers behind you. As for the JL sub, it depends what you are looking to accomplish. It certainly wouldn't be in my top 10 recommendations.

Hi-Psi
03-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Jonathan@TCS
Most of the better systems I have built consist of a good set of components up front, and a sub or two in the back. If set up properly, you won't even notice that you don't have speakers behind you. As for the JL sub, it depends what you are looking to accomplish. It certainly wouldn't be in my top 10 recommendations.

This is very true! When I did my system, I just amplified a set of components in the front and used two subs in the back.

Sounded amazing!

Jay

97'Scort
03-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob

Subwoofer diameter has nothing to do with "clarity", you're just talking out your ass.

Two subs with an identical motor will sound the same, just the larger cone will be more efficient.

Edit: If you don't believe me, I'll show you my two midrange 18s at home with a 98db sensitivity.

Subwoofer size does have a lot to do with the range of frequencies produced. The diameter of the cone is roughly equivalent to the lowest wavelength of sound able to be produced. The larger your woofer, the lower the frequency able to be produced.

A 10" woofer will be able to reproduce mid-to-high bass tones slightly better than a 12" woofer, which will give you more low end boom. When I talk about a clean response, I'm thinking of a woofer tuned to handle everything you're bound to hear from a bass guitar, not just the low-end thump of a rap bass kick.

Now, of course, we can go on all day about enclosures; I'm sure you've got two excellent 18's at home, but you've also got the room to put them in a proper bandpass or infinitely baffled system. If you're willing to pay the bucks, you can get some very great and very well-tuned woofers that have a fantastic dynamic range. Sometimes that's not the case with your car, and indeed in this guy's case.

So yes, diameter does affect the type of sound the sub will produce. Sometimes smaller is better if you want a crisper response.

Annoyingrob
03-02-2007, 05:33 PM
So you're saying a 12" speaker will not be able to handle that? The differences in frequency response between two equivalent model drivers, be it a 10", and 12" driver should only be a few hz, which will not affect the upper range of the subwoofer. Most subwoofers can play well into the midrange. A typical lowpass crossover on a subwoofer set to 80hz is well below the frequency range the speaker is able to reproduce. An equivalent 10", and 12" speaker will be able to play your "mid-to-high" bass tones equally as well. The major differences in sound quality between the two would be a slightly muted low-end on the smaller cone because of a (slightly) higher resonant frequency due to the smaller moving mass.

If you want an example, let's look at the 10W3, and 12W3 you mentioned earlier. They have resonant frequencies of 28, and 24hz respectively. In a typical car audio environment, you may have an enclosure tuned to maybe 30hz at the absolute lowest for these speakers, more likely higher, around 34. Your speakers will be playing well enough above their respective frequencies to still maintain somewhat linear. Both speakers should be able to play equally linear within 30-80hz. The larger one however will do it with a greater sensitivity.

97'Scort
03-05-2007, 02:57 PM
True true. You got me. :rolleyes: Just trying to point out that there is indeed a response difference in size; my explanation even seems a bit convoluted to me. Truce?