PDA

View Full Version : Winter freezing

WWJAI
02-14-2007, 02:42 AM
As of lately due to the cold weather, it seems as parts of my car have been freezing up and just wanted to hear about your guy's experience as well.

So far due to the cold weather my passenger side door lock has froze and I can't open the passenger side door with the key (no power locks) and just today when I went to fill up for gas, it seems as though my gas door latch from inside the car has froze as well so I can't fill up gas and I'm in need of some pretty soon.

sketchysarah
02-14-2007, 06:16 AM
I haven't experienced any freezing as of yet, but I do give all the hinges and locks a dose of silicone spray. I was tired of my driver's door being stiff when opening and closing it. I don't know if that's what saved me, but it's preventive maintenance that my dad taught me. Although my power windows are uber slow, I forgot to buy some more spray to lube the rubber seals and it's just too cold outside to worry about it. I've avoided drive-thru's so I don't stress out the window motors or regulator and the last thing I don't want is for my windows to come out of their tracks. I don't have underground parking at my apartment, so I don't like to do car stuff when it's this freaken cold out. lol

~I guess you'll have to hang out in a heated wash bay at Hughes or where ever to unfreeze your fuel door latch. Good luck and I hope you don't run out of gas. ;)

88CRX
02-14-2007, 07:11 AM
My gas cap was frozen shut last night :thumbsdow

However its my own fault since I washed it a couple days ago.

EG_Civic
02-14-2007, 07:28 AM
freakin door locks were frozen.. i'd say its pretty crazy

WWJAI
02-14-2007, 07:51 AM
All my freezing is due to my own fault as well since I washed the car as well. Well this morning when i got up the latch was finally pulling but the gas cap door wasn't opening (was frozen) so i had to try and pry it open with my fingers...after a few tries and no success, i just tried pulling the latch a few more times and the door finally popped open...off to get some gas now.:thumbsup:

luv2xler8
02-14-2007, 08:05 AM
never had one problem yet with my truck..... except the batteries crapped out on me

Fado
02-14-2007, 09:27 AM
I havn't really had any issues, even with a carwash almost every day this week, except for my trunk freezing up once, but a little tug and it popped up. :dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
02-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Fado
I havn't really had any issues, even with a carwash almost every day this week, except for my trunk freezing up once, but a little tug and it popped up. :dunno:

I've never had a single problem either, and I wash my car any time there is salt on it. I do have heated doorlock though :D

EnRich
02-14-2007, 10:28 AM
If you guys are having problems opening your car doors. I used to use this trick. I would heat the key with a lighter, and stick it into the lock... It'll take a couple attempts, but it'll always work if your stranded somewhere.

88CRX
02-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by EnRich
If you guys are having problems opening your car doors. I used to use this trick. I would heat the key with a lighter, and stick it into the lock... It'll take a couple attempts, but it'll always work if your stranded somewhere.

My old car’s door locks used to freeze all the time. All I ever did was keep it lubed up real good. Spray a bunch of WD40 in there after a car wash and I was good to go. Also wipe down the rubber seals on the doors with some WD40 kept them from freezing up.

dino_martini
02-14-2007, 01:05 PM
drivers side rear door froze today...but other then that im ok.

sr20dets13
02-14-2007, 01:08 PM
my passenger window is frozen..my defrost doset work so i gotta tilt all my vents towards the winsheild to defrost it:rofl: ...thers so much snow packed in my front fenders it went all the way into the door jams and it makes an anoying ass sound when u open the door..:drama:

SCHIDER23
02-14-2007, 01:14 PM
washer fluid frozed up on me, but I'll have to admit it was my fault I put in summer washer fluid by mistake and don't have a heated place for it :drool: waiting fro the chinook to come tonight lol :poosie:

sr20dets13
02-14-2007, 01:16 PM
^^ another thing i forgot to mention..my window sprayer thingys (lol no clue wat the name is) dont work anymore:(

GTS Jeff
02-14-2007, 01:17 PM
LOL if your car is freezing up, stop washing it and leaving it outside. I will wash my car, but the car wash is the last stop I make before driving back to my heated parkade.

cleancivic
02-14-2007, 01:22 PM
thank the lord for a heated garage!:bigpimp:

sr20dets13
02-14-2007, 01:24 PM
i dont even wash my car in winter!

cleancivic
02-14-2007, 01:25 PM
thats so bad for a car...all that salt build-up is going to eat away your car:banghead:

sr20dets13
02-14-2007, 01:26 PM
lol i tried to cancle that post but it was too late..yea i wanted to say i dont wash my car in this weather ie -30 lol..way too cold..
but when it gets warmer even if there is snow on the ground i will wash my car.

WWJAI
02-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by cleancivic
thats so bad for a car...all that salt build-up is going to eat away your car:banghead:

:werd: I try to wash mine around once a week all year round.

cleancivic
02-14-2007, 01:29 PM
im lucky...bowness car wash is across the street from my work...i sometimes just drop a loonie in and do it everyday after work...would you say its overdoing it?:dunno:

WWJAI
02-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by cleancivic
im lucky...bowness car wash is across the street from my work...i sometimes just drop a loonie in a doing it everyday after work...would you say its overdoing it?:dunno:

If your just using water with the loonie I don't think that hurt it..but if your using soap always..then i'm not to sure.

cleancivic
02-14-2007, 01:35 PM
nope just a quick rinse...it all she needs once in a bit