PDA

View Full Version : One More SUV question...

teggypimp95
02-14-2007, 09:56 AM
I had another question for you guys who know a thing or 2 about suvs.

I enjoy driving standard the best as do most of you. Is it the same when buying an suv? if it comes in standard go for it? or is there any reasons you would want auto instead? just a thought thanks.

SuPhistiKatEd
02-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Find a ton of "rocking" in a manual suv. It's not like driving a car. That's my opinion.

khtm
02-14-2007, 10:07 AM
You don't "drive" an SUV. You sit in it, sip your mocha latte, talk on your cell phone, and cut people off.

Hopefully that answers your question. :thumbsup:

im2fst4u
02-14-2007, 10:07 AM
I have a 97 Pathfinder and its a 5 speed and he ^^ is right, you do get lots of rocking. Having said that, I find it better for gas mileage. Kind of a pain in the ass around town and the power from a 5 speed to a manual seems different (auto seems to have more power). But as soon as you get it off road you will appreciate the manual tranny over the automatic.

hjr
02-14-2007, 10:13 AM
standard trannies in trucks/suv's are not all that great. not in the least. the bigger the vehicle, the worse the trans will likely be. That said you dont have to avoid them like the plague, but in general auto's are a more comfortable nicer riding choice

Envitro
02-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Go for the automatic in an SUV. Really, there's no other choice.

rony_espana
02-14-2007, 10:21 AM
:werd: I've had both standard and auto suv's, auto is definately better!

teggypimp95
02-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Sounds good, im thinking of a 2000-2002 xterra v6. so i dident know to get manual or auto. How much gas millage differnce would there be?

SuPhistiKatEd
02-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Don't think it really matters which tranny you buy. That era of Xterra's are notorious for poor gas mileage. It's a good, reliable engine as well...but waaay underpowered for a vehicle of that size.

Used to own a 1999.5 Pathfinder. Liked driving it around the city, but found it a pain to drive on the highway (which is where I do alot of my driving).

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice vehicle, but it has its issues.

dj_rice
02-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by khtm
You don't "drive" an SUV. You sit in it, sip your mocha latte, talk on your cell phone, and cut people off.

Hopefully that answers your question. :thumbsup:

:werd: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: but take out sip your mocha latte and add sip on your bubbletea for me since I'm asian

calgarys13
02-14-2007, 07:40 PM
i have a 1990 pathfinder and i love the manual, no big deal in traffic...

HRD2PLZ
02-14-2007, 07:46 PM
I think it depends on the SUV. I have driven an automatic Xterra and a manual Xterra. I much preferred the manual. But again, I only drove them for 30 mins or so... I wasn't stuck with it all the time. Something like an Xterra, I always thought would have sold better in a manual transmission :dunno:

CappyMcSlappy
02-15-2007, 07:01 AM
I think it definitely depends on the SUV. Some can have smoother rides depending on which option plus a different number of gears - the dodge nitro (same class as xterra) for example has a 6 speed manual and a 5 speed auto which are good options, not sure about the xterra. I like manual myself but thats just personal preference, I feel like I get a little bit better gas mileage and I prefer the control. Anyway, it sounds like a really good excuse to keep going back for test drives to me :D

Kona9
02-15-2007, 08:16 AM
I had an 05 Nissan Frontier LE, and now have an 06 X-Terra Off Road. The Frontier being Auto, and the X being 6 speed manual.

Exact same engine, I prefer the manual. Pretty smoot and have had 0 issues.

hussein
02-15-2007, 12:59 PM
I have an auto pathfinder, it's pretty fun.

But I think that it would be more of a personal choice.

Masked Bandit
02-15-2007, 03:21 PM
If you do more city driving then hardcore offroading...go with the automatic. It will also help at resale time.