PDA

View Full Version : al-Qaeda threat to attack Alberta

89coupe
02-14-2007, 05:20 PM
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/War_Terror/2007/02/14/3617747-sun.html

Provincial officials say they’re taking seriously an al-Qaeda threat to attack Alberta’s petroleum infrastructure but have not raised any threat level.

A spokesman for the Alberta Energy and Utilities Board (EUB) said today they were alerted last week of statements on an Arabian-peninsula-based terrorist website encouraging attacks on oil installations in Canada, Mexico and Venezuela to disrupt the U.S. economy.

Premier Ed Stelmach said he learned of the e-posting on Tuesday but added security agencies already had the issue well in hand.

And he downplayed the magnitude of the threat.

“It’s not one that has alarmed anybody in terms of a serious threat...there will be threats ongoing especially with what’s going on in the Middle East,” he said.

‘I feel very secure and so should all Albertans.”

Nonetheless, Stelmach urged Albertans to keep a close eye out for any suspicious activity.

“If something’s happening in their community that seems odd, please report it to the local police,” said the premier.

EUB spokesman Darin Barter echoed Stelmach’s call forvigilance but said no moves have been made to increase the threat level or alter long-standing security plans.

“It’s more of a heightened awareness and alert — it’s a heightened sensitivity to what’s going on,” he said.

Barter said security authorities are convinced the website statements are from genuine terrorists.

“We’re taking it as a threat made against Alberta.”

A thorough security strategy for the oilpatch has been in place since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, with companies playing a key role in the plan.

If pipelines are attacked and damaged, remote sensors will shut down the flow, said Barter.

What’s dubbed critical infrastructure, such as refineries and other structures, he said, are protected by police, intelligence and company security.

“They’re very well protected — the intelligence agency we have allows us to be very pro-active,” said Barter.

A year ago, an unsuccessful assault was launched against the world’s largest oil processing facility at Abqaiq, Saudi Arabia.

A statement on the al-Qaida Voice of Holy War e-magazine said “it is necessary to hit oil interests in all regions which serve the United States, not just in the Middle East.”

It also referred to the Abqaiq attack.

Super_Geo
02-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Fuck let's hope the terrorists don't get a hold of AccuMap (which is ridiculously easy to do)... I can only imagine how badly they can fuck up shit with an exact map of every oil/gas/water pipeline in Alberta.

l8braker
02-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Fuck let's hope the terrorists don't get a hold of AccuMap (which is ridiculously easy to do)... I can only imagine how badly they can fuck up shit with an exact map of every oil/gas/water pipeline in Alberta.

:rofl: Had to laugh at the Accumap line. So fucking true. I'm waiting for something to pop up on our internal site about this.

This whole thing would be pretty easy to pull off considering how many home grown Canadian terrorist creeps we have walking our streets.

wainr
02-14-2007, 06:19 PM
...waiting for the usual people to say this is some conspiracy by harper or some shit... :rolleyes:

rbau493
02-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by wainr
...waiting for the usual people to say this is some conspiracy by harper or some shit... :rolleyes:

But when the usual people that say shit like that actually have something happen directly to them it will be funny as to how they change their tune.

drew_goring
02-14-2007, 06:47 PM
ROFL...The security at the sites in Fort Mac are a joke...kinda scary really because the terrorists could just waltz in there with whatever...

Redlyne_mr2
02-14-2007, 06:51 PM
At least the premier is taking a realistic approach instead of setting up some gay ass homeland security sytem with colors and shit.

Toma
02-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Well WTF did you expect would happen by being such vocal supporters of the real terrorists (Bush)... lol

There was a time that when you travelled, you were safe as a Canadian... so safe, tha American's sewed maple leafs on their clothing....

Oh well.... :dunno:

l8braker
02-14-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Toma
There was a time that when you travelled, you were safe as a Canadian...

We're still safe while we travel, just mind your peas and cues and don't act stupid.

Toma
02-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by l8braker

We're still safe while we travel, just mind your peas and cues and don't act stupid.
hahahahahaha.... travel much?? lol

JRSC00LUDE
02-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by l8braker

But not as safe as it used to be that much is for sure.....the old leaf doesn't carry the same clout overseas that it used too. And yes, like it or not, by alligning ourselves with the U.S. (whether you think it's right or wrong is irrelevant) we have made ourselves just as much as a target. The only argument I make on that is that we'd likely be a target regardless of policy as the main issue seems to be western civilization as a whole.

Toma
02-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

But not as safe as it used to be that much is for sure.....the old leaf doesn't carry the same clout overseas that it used too. And yes, like it or not, by alligning ourselves with the U.S. (whether you think it's right or wrong is irrelevant) we have made ourselves just as much as a target. The only argument I make on that is that we'd likely be a target regardless of policy as the main issue seems to be western civilization as a whole.
Well except for your last statement... as a guy that has been travelling for 20 +years.... I agree....

JRSC00LUDE
02-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Well, if we agreed on absolutely everything then we'd have nothing to talk about! :D

Palmiros
02-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Just got off the phone with my dad. He's away workin in the oil&gas industry. To be quite honest this is a pretty scary thought. Not only is the security weak (as someone said above) but imagine the proportions of such a thing.
If something like this were to happen (knock on wood and hope it doesn't) the effects would be DEVASTATING. Stupid US.

TrevorK
02-14-2007, 07:41 PM
If something ever did happen I truly feel sorry for the ethnic population - because with all of the rednecks in this province it would be very likely there will be many racist acts committed against them / their religious places.

bamboo403
02-14-2007, 07:48 PM
are you guys kidding me?
your all taking that seriously?

Palmiros
02-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by bamboo403
are you guys kidding me?
your all taking that seriously?

Give me one valid reason why we shouldn't take this seriously.

jay42w8
02-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by TrevorK
If something ever did happen I truly feel sorry for the ethnic population - because with all of the rednecks in this province it would be very likely there will be many racist acts committed against them / their religious places.

lol...this is very true...good thing Im chinese

wainr
02-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Well WTF did you expect would happen by being such vocal supporters of the real terrorists (Bush)... lol

There was a time that when you travelled, you were safe as a Canadian... so safe, tha American's sewed maple leafs on their clothing....

Oh well.... :dunno:

What I expected.. yes we have it coming.. :thumbsdow

Justifying terrorism one post at a time.

:thumbsup:

Like these groups are actually fighting for thier people.. give me a break. They have thier own agenda that is no more noble than Bush's crusade.. but as they are not American you can justify thier actions.. you are such a hypocrite.

barbarian
02-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Round up all the terrorist sympathizers.

adam c
02-14-2007, 10:51 PM
ah great.. here comes times of the cold war where everyone turned on their neighbors and shit

Toma
02-14-2007, 11:11 PM

What I expected.. yes we have it coming.. :thumbsdow

Justifying terrorism one post at a time.

:thumbsup:

I fuckin resent that!! I will NEVER condone any terrorist actions commited by the US :poosie:

doublepostwhore
02-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Where Can I buy some white paint, and a rusted ford pickup?

eblend
02-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Man this is interesting. I work at the EUB and do installs of AccuMap almost every day in one way or another on employee PCs. I have no idea what it all does, but its a very basic install haha. Anyways, this is scary stuff, its kinda cool to see people around here know of AccuMap, i thought it was just some stuff EUB uses which is just as useless as the rest of the software they have haha

bspot
02-14-2007, 11:58 PM
I support/maintain AccuMap for a couple thousand people myself... hehe. The first AccuMap post cracked me up.

Anyways, nothing to worry about. Hippies have been going after oil and gas infrastructure for a long time.

MrPid
02-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Time to invest the Heritage Trust Fund into some nukes and rope...;)

adam c
02-15-2007, 12:06 AM
story is on the news right now

Hakkola
02-15-2007, 12:40 AM

I fuckin resent that!! I will NEVER condone any terrorist actions commited by the US :poosie:

It's just ok for everyone else. I knew you were going to post in this thread, hell, I almost guessed it word for word.

The reason we are on this list is because we sell oil to the United States.

Should we stop trade with them altogether?

I just got back from Europe, I found I got a lot of respect being Canadian, a lot more respect than the American guys. :thumbsup:

wainr
02-15-2007, 12:50 AM

Yes.. we know this..

Terrorist actions by anyone else is cool. :thumbsup:

wainr
02-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

It's just ok for everyone else. I knew you were going to post in this thread, hell, I almost guessed it word for word.

I just got back from Europe, I found I got a lot of respect being Canadian, a lot more respect than the American guys. :thumbsup:

If Toma had his way we would be some psuedo communist state with 100 ft walls keeping us in and everyone else out. We would be bare foot, live in mud shacks and screw goats for entertainment. :thumbsup:

Dayclone
02-15-2007, 02:41 AM
I highly doubt they will do anything at all... It's all talk, but when we see it well here's WW3.

Steve

jmc
02-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

:dunno: Maybe for now, we should just warn the US we 'might' stop selling them oil...

Tik-Tok
02-15-2007, 10:06 AM
...waiting for the usual people to say this is some conspiracy by harper

no no no mannnnn, you've got it all wrong, it's all about Bush! He wants our oil, so he's gonna, like, blow up our pipelines, so he can send in US troops to protect "us" mannnnn! (also because he hates black people)

Mixalot27
02-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

no no no mannnnn, you've got it all wrong, it's all about Bush! He wants our oil, so he's gonna, like, blow up our pipelines, so he can send in US troops to protect "us" mannnnn! (also because he hates black people)

Yeah man. And then after that comes the issue of the Americo and the beginning of the New World Order. We are all doomed.

syeve
02-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Palmiros
If something like this were to happen (knock on wood and hope it doesn't) the effects would be DEVASTATING. Stupid US.

???How about stupid fags that are threatening us???

AndrewMZ3
02-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Jack Bauer will save us.

Xtrema
02-15-2007, 10:19 AM
We are one of many support pillars of US empire. Like it or not, everyone who do business is a support pillar.

Al Qaeda will attack all pillars to stop the war machine. It's that simple.

I only wish that Muslim community come out more vocal in denouncing these terrorism rants and continue to fight secs that have terrorist agendas.

In the public eye, they are not doing enough.

Tik-Tok
02-15-2007, 10:20 AM
^ Yeah, a little pre-emptive P.R. would go a long ways if an attack ever goes through.

Envitro
02-15-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm pretty sure that the terrorists wouldn't get very close to a major pipeline... The surrounding communities and towns are all white folks,and these guys would stand out like a motherfucker.

You forget that these country boys hunt for fun... :thumbsup:

Xtrema
02-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Envitro
I'm pretty sure that the terrorists wouldn't get very close to a major pipeline... The surrounding communities and towns are all white folks,and these guys would stand out like a motherfucker.

I don't know.

It's pretty easy to do. It's not like we have a guard on the pipeline every 100ft.

Mixalot27
02-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I don't know.

It's pretty easy to do. It's not like we have a guard on the pipeline every 100ft.

Exactly and also its pretty easy to go unnoticed inside a vehicle (tinted windows even) until you get to where you need to be to make your mission happen. I've also met a lot of ppl from the mid east who are relatively light skinned. Could be easily mistaken for latino or Italian, or even white.

That being said I don't think anything will happen here anytime soon. Only reason being that if they were going to do something here, I think they would rethink now that there is lots of media speculation. I think they most likely are intelligent enough to seek easier targets. They want their missions to succeed without getting pre-empted, the biggest bang for their buck so to say. So you mislead the media with one threat and carry out your action somewhere else. Seems like a pretty strait forward diversionary tactics to me.

toomuchb00st
02-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Your all worried like Alberta is the only place threatened by terriosts. There are terriosts everywhere in the world, anything can happen, anywhere, anyday, anytime. Whether it be Alberta, China, Germany, or London....

Mixalot27
02-15-2007, 10:47 AM
^^what makes you think I'm worried. Is it because I have made several tunnels underneath my house?. Or the fact that I have stashed away more canned food and water than would be needed to supply several small countries? Can you really blame me? After all I have been reading Toma's posts for the last few months and am now fairly certain the world in coming to an end. Fuk U all, I'm getting into my bomb shelter now. lol

Super_Geo
02-15-2007, 11:24 AM

Yeah, that is if they're not too busy fucking their cousins and filling in their coloring books...

Toms-SC
02-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Won't happen, empty threat

Tik-Tok
02-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Won't happen, empty threat

Yeah, but if it ever does happen, you'll now have everyone pointing fingers at Harper... "YOU WERE WARNED THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!! WHY DIDN'T YOU DO ANYTHING???"

TeamBestBud
02-15-2007, 12:44 PM

You act like all terrorists are brown, wear turbans and have long beards. There is some white sympathizers of these organizations and it wouldn't be hard for them to fit in and carry out these attacks.

I do, however, think an attack is very unlikely.

GTS Jeff
02-15-2007, 12:50 PM

You forget that these country boys hunt for fun... :thumbsup: Why make rednecks look even dumber than they already do with your post?

Xtrema
02-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by toomuchb00st
Your all worried like Alberta is the only place threatened by terriosts. There are terriosts everywhere in the world, anything can happen, anywhere, anyday, anytime. Whether it be Alberta, China, Germany, or London....

Because this was one of few quiet corners of the earth. Nobody know what Calgary, Edmonton and Alberta is before y2k.

hjr
02-15-2007, 04:48 PM
in the end its an economic terrorist act, which is hardly the same as a civilian terrorist act. Sure it costs a lot, it would be a huge problem, but be thankful the focus isnt skyscrapers or trains like it is in europe and the us.

that said, i am hesitant to put too mcuh faith in these claims. it seems like we were left out for so long that they decided that the might as well include us to get us allllll riled up like. Most terrorist activities are happening in iraq / afghanistan, and are mostly involved in training (though there are lots of incidences of 'terrorism'). The whole point of terrorism is to keep you scared and strike when you least expect it. this isnt the IRA. there are no warnings. new york didnt get a warning about the towers, madrid didnt get a warning about the trains, london didnt get a warning about the tube or buses. That is why i have little faith in these announcements. its just to make people scared. they dont tell you where they are gonna hit you, that would defeat the point.

Toms-SC
02-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yeah, but if it ever does happen, you'll now have everyone pointing fingers at Harper... "YOU WERE WARNED THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!! WHY DIDN'T YOU DO ANYTHING???"

Sadly this is true.

Toma
02-15-2007, 05:04 PM
AAAaaaahhh Pheweeeee. Its a load of unsabstantiated crap. If they scared ANYONE in Alberta with it, the pro Harper media has done its bidding well...... oooh ooooh... get the big bad terrorists Mr. Harper with your master, Mr. Bush :drool:

Scumbag. But alas, we are stuck with him for a bit.....

In terms of this WAR we are fighting, we need to get out and distance ourselves from the real cause of terror in this world today....

Envitro
02-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Why make rednecks look even dumber than they already do with your post?

Because it's fun, funny, and true.

I've spent a long time travelling out to the field, and being white myself, am shocked at the level of "redneck-ness" out there. It's horrible.

I don't care if you look white, have shaved your beard, took off the turban, or whatever. They'll spot ya! :drama:

yeah, there's always the chance that some asshole can go and do something, but no different than a bunch of drunken bored teenagers

krisopotamus
02-15-2007, 05:47 PM
I dislike using AccuMap but I need to all the time....

Anyways, the government or energy board or something has a map of all the pipelines in alberta on their site, I did a quick google earlier today and found it.

wainr
02-15-2007, 06:12 PM
AAAaaaahhh Pheweeeee. Its a load of unsabstantiated crap. If they scared ANYONE in Alberta with it, the pro Harper media has done its bidding well...... oooh ooooh... get the big bad terrorists Mr. Harper with your master, Mr. Bush :drool:

Scumbag. But alas, we are stuck with him for a bit.....

In terms of this WAR we are fighting, we need to get out and distance ourselves from the real cause of terror in this world today....

http://www.chabotcollege.edu/library/abby/broken%20record.jpg
http://ambassador.topcall.co.at/~ds/images/broken-record.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/dsanford/broken_record_r1_c1.jpg

http://xs512.xs.to/xs512/07071/headon01.jpg

Carfanman
02-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by barbarian
Round up all the terrorist sympathizers.

And shoot them.

Originally posted by TeamBestBud
There are some white sympathizers of these organizations

*ahem*Toma*ahem*

Super_Geo
02-16-2007, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Carfanman

And shoot them.

*ahem*Toma*ahem*

Are you fucking going to school yet or what?

ICEBERG
02-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Are you fucking going to school yet or what?

No, I think he is trying to find Toma and shoot him. :D

Toma
02-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by ICEBERG

No, I think he is trying to find Toma and shoot him. :D
PuRRRRfect ;)