PDA

View Full Version : Good liquor to get as a thank you present?

TrevorK
02-14-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm not much of a drinker, so I'm completely out of my realm.

I want to get the owner of the company I work PT for a bottle of something "nice" as a thank you gift for a special occasion.

Now, I don't know much - I don't even know whether to get him a wine or a more hard liquor. So far I've found Crown Royal Special Reserve:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Royal

Which seems to get really good reviews online as a step up from the normal Crown Royal.

I was hoping to spend $60-70 for a bottle of something, I'm not even sure that is enough for something considered "good" by actual drinkers.

What do you guys recommend? And if it's out of the price range, how much?

JRSC00LUDE
02-14-2007, 08:18 PM
For that price you can get a nice bottle of port which I think is a good choice.

jdmakkord
02-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Pick up a bottle of port or icewine. Hell, if he's a drinker, grab a nice bottle of scotch.

EK 2.0
02-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Pick up a bottle of port or icewine. Hell, if he's a drinker, grab a nice bottle of scotch.

Listen to this man...he KNOWS his Alcohol...

CasperWho
02-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Grey Goose Vodka

jdmakkord
02-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by CasperWho
Grey Goose Vodka

If they actually drink vodka, otherwise listening to rappers is useless.:rofl:

HyperZell
02-14-2007, 08:46 PM
I was going to say Dom, but that's a little over the price range. The best gift will come after knowing what he likes to drink, but if you can't figure that out, stick with a safe bet, like really good ice wine.

s--dime
02-14-2007, 10:25 PM

+1 Port of Ice Wine is a good safe bet. DO NOT get him scotch unless you know he is a drinker or enjoys scotch it can send the wrong message.

black_2.5RS
02-14-2007, 10:32 PM
For a gift exchange, I once got a really good bottle of Port paired with a nice blue cheese. It freakin' rocked.

Both you can get in Kensington. I highly recommend Kensington Wine Market and the Cheese place beside it.

im2fst4u
02-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Best bottle of Icewine is a 1999 RIESLING from the Inniskillin Winery. (Canadian)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gondi Stylez
02-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Pick up a bottle of port or icewine.

:werd: was thinking the same!

Originally posted by im2fst4u
Best bottle of Icewine is a 1999 RIESLING from the Inniskillin Winery. (Canadian)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

YES! i had some last night and let me tell you....

riesling is by far (imho) the best grape for icewine!

Mixalot27
02-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Personally if it was me I would like a nice cognac. But it all comes down to personal preference. I personally don't care for ice wine but a lot of ppl love it. Anyway you can find out what this guys drinking preferences are?

another idea might be cigars if he enjoys that type of thing. Or maybe even a combo of the two. I know I would find a nice bottle of rum and a couple choice cigars a pretty good present.

DowntownCowboy
02-15-2007, 05:25 PM
If you have no idea what the guy drinks, I think port or ice wine aren't safe choices as many people don't like either.

Grey Goose is a safer bet, as is a nice bottle of red. The cheese idea is a good one. Try the Kensington Wine Market and get a few types of cheese from next door. Pickup some bread at the bakery inbetween if you think he'll eat it right away.

Some more unique liquors for over $50 would be Absinthe or Chartreuse or a quality tequila (NOT Cuervo!).

I have nothing against Crown though :)

TeamBestBud
02-15-2007, 05:33 PM
And I have nothing against a Texas of Crown

TrevorK
02-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys - I'm gonna do some asking around and see what he likes.

It's been around 5 years since I was at one of his parties, so I forget what he likes to drink but I might be able to find someone who remembers.

If not, it looks like Ice Wine might be the best bet then. Which brands should I look for? The "riesling" - is that just the type of grape used by many different ice wines?

jdmakkord
02-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by TrevorK
Thanks guys - I'm gonna do some asking around and see what he likes.

It's been around 5 years since I was at one of his parties, so I forget what he likes to drink but I might be able to find someone who remembers.

If not, it looks like Ice Wine might be the best bet then. Which brands should I look for? The "riesling" - is that just the type of grape used by many different ice wines?

Summerhill, iniskillin, henry of pelham, mission hill....these are all quality winemakers that product great icewines.