PDA

View Full Version : anybody else getting a million rock chips today

85regal
02-15-2007, 12:47 PM
wow, can the city put down any more gravel on the streets?? I'm not getting it too bad but i'm in a truck and i know i'm hitting cars with rocks all over the place.

max_boost
02-15-2007, 12:49 PM
I'll be captain obvious and say it's expected since we are in the middle of winter. :nut: :dunno:

Fado
02-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Ill be Captain Logical, and say that the amount of rocks on some of the roads are a little extensive. They are making like 10 passes on the same roads, and thanks to that I need another windshield this spring, and the front of my car repainted. :thumbsup: Sweeet!

max_boost
02-15-2007, 12:55 PM
^^^

Get 3M/ricochet for your car and AMI glass insurance for your windshield.

TeamBestBud
02-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Rather have a few rock chips here and there than slide into a pole and fuck up my car.

Fado
02-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
^^^

Get 3M/ricochet for your car and AMI glass insurance for your windshield.

I for whatever reason didnt opt for 3M when I bought my car from the dealership (even though I had it on my other cars) because I didnt want it to affect the reflection off of the paint like it did with the others, although now Im regretting it with the swiss cheese bumper im getting on my 06 Honda. Im going to look into the AMI though, thanks man:) .

88CRX
02-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Don't follow people close :dunno:

I have a couple rock chips and a mint windsheild and I drive it everyday.

edit - knock on wood.

Fado
02-15-2007, 01:02 PM
We should just have a Mandatory Snow Tire law so that those of us who actually prepare for winter with proper tires (mmm Q rated) dont have to worry about getting rear ended by some dumb broads grand prix with shit all seasons AND so the city doesnt have to create gravel roads with all the rocks they dump on em so that that dumb broad can drive to work.

max_boost
02-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Snow Tires being Tax Deductible FTW! haha

TeamBestBud
02-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Fado
We should just have a Mandatory Snow Tire law so that those of us who actually prepare for winter with proper tires (mmm Q rated) dont have to worry about getting rear ended by some dumb broads grand prix with shit all seasons AND so the city doesnt have to create gravel roads with all the rocks they dump on em so that that dumb broad can drive to work.

:werd: Id support that ( Kumho KW19's FTW) but I think we already went over this in another thread.

lilmira
02-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Rear mudguard helps a bit and should be mandatory on new vehicles. For lifted trucks, they need even bigger mudguards.

hussein
02-15-2007, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by max_boost

:love: I agreeeeeee.

_wrx_
02-15-2007, 01:46 PM
if any one needs windshield repair let me know!

cressida_pimpin
02-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by _wrx_
if any one needs windshield repair let me know!

how about a new windshield?

Dren
02-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Don't follow people close

STAY back...ya...driving on crowchild. people are just chaning lanes soo much...sooo many rocks..

adam c
02-15-2007, 02:25 PM
theres too many rocks in some places and not enough in others.. in my neighbor hood i feel like im offroading its BS.. and my fucking drivers side mirror is cracked thanks to some fuck head in a truck pinning his accelerator on a patch of ice and then hitting a bunch of rocks

Hash_man
02-15-2007, 02:31 PM

Lol seriously?... is it a company car or something?... KW19s FTMFW!!!

And yes, there are waaaay too many rocks on some roads. On some roads, yes it can be expected, but its just nuts out there today... sounds like my car is being shot by a machine gun hahah.:cry:

BigMass
02-15-2007, 02:34 PM
they should clean up the roads twice a year. Once about 1/2 way through winter during a long chinook period like... now.. and again at the start of spring.

And people wouldnt need to always change lanes if people werent driving 50km/h on Crowchild.

TeamBestBud
02-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Ok dude. I take back what I said. I just got home and holy hell it was like driving through a gravel playground. There are SOOOO many rocks on the road its not even funny:thumbsdow

rc2002
02-15-2007, 05:47 PM
First everyone bitches that they're not plowing and sanding. Now people are bitching because there is gravel.

The gravel seems to be a lot bigger than usual. But what do you expect? This is Calgary.

Hash_man
02-15-2007, 05:57 PM
^^^ I know to usually expect quite a bit of gravel each spring, but this year just seems waaaay worse than usual.

Tik-Tok
02-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man
^^^ I know to usually expect quite a bit of gravel each spring, but this year just seems waaaay worse than usual.

It is way worse, I don't think they're even sifting the sand anymore to take out the rocks.

mk4jetta
02-15-2007, 06:04 PM
i had a car fling a rock at my driver side front window on deerfoot like 2 weeks ago and my window shaddered, only the tint was holding it in one piece.

Hakkola
02-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Yeah, it's rediculous! I commented on it today, I've never seen so much gravel on city roads before.

I'd be happy if they didn't salt or put down gravel at all. People need to buy winter tires.

A2VR6
02-15-2007, 06:13 PM
yea I never really realized there was so much gravel out there until today!!! Luckily I actually keep a huge ass following distance so I dont get pelted much by rocks... plus 3M FTW!

djayz
02-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Its because it kept snowing and they kept throwing rocks down everyday. Now that all the snow has started to melt from the roads they all came out of the hardened ice PLUS the city thought it would freeze again so they threw more rocks on.

I was out last night driving on memorial towards downtown and it was crazy...instead of water flying up behind my car there was rocks and lots of them.

They should clean the street atleast once its actually quite dangerous.

LuxCars
02-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by TeamBestBud
Rather have a few rock chips here and there than slide into a pole and fuck up my car.

yes but gravel(on its own when there is no snow around it) can be just as dangerous..
just like today, the snow on the roads is melted so all your driving on is purely gravel.

I find that even if i dont follow that closely i still get hit. iid have to be at least 4 cars back to not get hit...and when im 4 cars back, someone gets infront of me...ts so aggravating.

Lo)2enz0
02-15-2007, 06:51 PM
im for sure buying a cf hood this year. haven't looked at the damage yet though

WWJAI
02-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
People need to buy winter tires.

As much as I'd like too, I just don't have the money too. I run all seasons and I try to drive as safe as possible in the winters and so far so good. I don't see winter tires as a 'must' and at the same time, I feel some ppl with winter tires just drive like they own the road in the winter because they think their tires will stop properly in all conditions.

I really don't care about how much gravel they put on the road. I got tons of rock chips all over my hood and front bumper but driving my car in the winter, I should expect it.

If everyone's gonna complain about getting chips on their cars, they should have just bought a winter beater, but thats just my opinion.

Moe Man
02-15-2007, 11:33 PM
the shitty thing is, it wont get cleaned up untill june. seriously this spring we should do something about it. its like we all know it isnt going to snow in mid april, and if it does it doesnt last long.

oce169
02-16-2007, 04:01 PM
got rock chip this morning, and now become a crack. Any one know who can be fixing the crack?

anarchy
02-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by oce169
got rock chip this morning, and now become a crack. Any one know who can be fixing the crack?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if the chip becomes a crack, you can't fill it in anymore and you have to replace the windshield to get rid of it.

shynepho
02-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
First everyone bitches that they're not plowing and sanding. Now people are bitching because there is gravel.

The gravel seems to be a lot bigger than usual. But what do you expect? This is Calgary.

but when there were 150+ accidents daily in calgary, they didnt plow or throw gravel or do anything. Most of this gravel was thrown on city streets after it wasnt even slippery anymore

Hakkola
02-17-2007, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Moe Man
the shitty thing is, it wont get cleaned up untill june. seriously this spring we should do something about it. its like we all know it isnt going to snow in mid april, and if it does it doesnt last long.

I believe last year street cleaning began april 10th or so, my area was clean by april 14th. :dunno:

Disoblige
02-17-2007, 02:27 AM
Man, I drove yesterday and ever since I've bought my car, I've never had rock chips. Then I get two little ones going down Barlow. :( Plus the gay thing is that if you were about 10 meters behind a car you still get a dirt wash and sometimes rocks hurling at you.

Dayclone
02-17-2007, 02:45 AM
Well my windsheild is holding up good but seriously rocks flyin into my windshield isn't cool.

Steve

Deetz
02-17-2007, 09:10 AM
Yes. there are a lot of rocks out there now. I don't worry about it at all, thats what winter beaters are for :thumbsup:

silver_gs-R
02-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Ill be Captain Logical, and say that the amount of rocks on some of the roads are a little extensive. They are making like 10 passes on the same roads, and thanks to that I need another windshield this spring, and the front of my car repainted. :thumbsup: Sweeet!

I completely agree with Fado, they are making way too many passes on Deerfoot, maybe they should concentrate a bit on the smaller roads, and I really wish if they are going to throw rocks everywhere, at least make them small rocks, I mean jeasous the size of some of these things that have hit my car wow holy fuck.