PDA

View Full Version : trade in car question

indep
02-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Hi,
i've been trying to sell my car for a while now with no luck so now i am thinking of trading it in at a dealership, i wanted to ask you guys, i have a 2003 mitsubishi eclipse right now that's worth around 15,000 and i wanted to buy a 3000 to 5000 dollars car so i wanted to know if i went in and told them that would they give me teh difference of the trade back ? is that something dealerships do, like return me the difference of the trade if they bought my car at 13,000 and i bought a car at 3,000, they'd give me back 10,000 ?

Thanks,

Dayclone
02-16-2007, 11:26 AM
They can do that, but keep in mind their going to rip you off on your car, and buy it for A LOT less... and you might not even be happy about it, but it's your loss. Just warning you never trade in your car... from my own experience.

Just hang in there, and keep trying to sell your car put in bargain finder, and like autotrader.

Steve

QuasarCav
If you can sell a car on the open market for 10K the dealership will give you 5. A lot of people do not beleive this but that is how they make money.

I would trade in as a last resort only, the lowballers on Beyond usually give you a better price.

teggypimp95
Yeah the only problem is, if ur car is worth 15, they will only give you 10 for it and then they will sell it for 15. But if your trading in for a cheaper car. They should give you cash back. Most do. PLus you dont have to pay gst when you trade.

Weapon_R
02-16-2007, 11:28 AM
You'll get badly lowballed, because it has to be really worthwhile for them.

Isaiah
02-16-2007, 11:46 AM
As everyone else has said, if you're having problems selling your car, drop the price by about $1000 and/or offer a buyer incentive.

If you trade it in at a dealership, you will leave feeling violated.

sketchysarah
02-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Definitely.. someone out there in the general public will pay you more for your car than the dealership ever will.

The dealership has also inflated the value of the car you wish to trade down for. It's a no-win situation. Sell privately. :thumbsup: