PDA

View Full Version : The Best Entry Level Job for the Money?

5hift
02-19-2007, 01:56 PM
I know on Beyond, everyone seems to be looking for a job, without wanting to put in any work of their own... this is not the case. I just wanted some input as I'm sure I'll hear about something not listed in calgaryjobshop or similar.

I have been looking for a entry-level type job that I can work close to full time hours while I only take part time classes at UofC this semester. I dont mind having to do labour or hard work, the main things I'm looking for is a job in Calgary that allows me to:
-sleep in my own bed at night/no late nights
- that has some flexibility in scehduling, while letting me work full-time or close to it in hours.
-pays at least $15/hr.

So far from what I've been looking jobs fitting in that catagory that appeal to me either tend to be courier type jobs(FedEx, etc) or Secuirty type jobs. I dont mind either of these from what I know about them now, but if anyone has any input I'd appricaite it. Right now the most appealing to me is FedEx part time, making local delieveries and pickup in Calgary.

I've done the call center thing, and while the money was great, coming home stressed out every night and dreading going to work every morning was not worth it. Any info on these jobs mentioned or anything else I've overlooked would be appricaited.

thrasher22
02-20-2007, 10:11 PM
City of calgary landscaping, you make close to or at least $15, you're outside all day, friday's off and its generally not that hard work. I've never personally worked for them, but most of my friends have and really liked it, I'd be applying if I didn't have a co-op this summer.

And I agree, call centers FTL

5hift
02-20-2007, 10:30 PM
^^
Thanks for the info

Has anyone here worked as a delivery person for Fed-Ex or similar?

jay42w8
02-21-2007, 12:42 AM
your best bet is anything unionized...

Mr_John
02-21-2007, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by 5hift
^^
Thanks for the info

Friends work at FedEx here in Calgary and dont mind it. They never complain or have anything bad to say about the job so I'm assuming its good.

dennisaur
02-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by 5hift
^^

i got a buddy who works for ICS Canada and he's got no complaints about it except for when the roads suck but that's more of the city's fault than the job's haha