PDA

View Full Version : Any stereo recommendations?

nagooro
02-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Car audio is not my expertise and im going to soundsaround and a few other places tomorrow to look for subs, an amp, and a car deck. Does anyone have any advice on brands/models to go for?
So far for subs im leaning towards pheonix golds. (2 10")

Thanks

WWJAI
02-19-2007, 11:53 PM
Alpine for the deck.

jdm_jspec
02-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Alpine for the deck for sure, best audio quality, also clarion
subs go for those pheonix golds, their good.
or even go boston acoustics or JL. high end alpines also.
get a good quality amp too. good power.

hifiguy
02-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Since most equipment these days are pretty good I will let you know what did not work well for me, Sony and JVC and any unfamiliar branded decks are probably not recommended. Our cold temperature cause havoc on their performance and generally crap decks skip easily with our wonderful pot hole roads. I have had success with the typical pioneer, panasonic, alpine, denon, eclipse, clarion and kenwood products for decks. Amps are the same, stick to tried and true brands like rockford, phoenix gold, JL audio, Orion, MTX, Alpine, and Kenwood. The first few brands are equipment developed from the US and were highend products which in the past decade have become more mainstream and will deliver consistent performance and quality. I would suggest similar branded subs as well. I found the typical japanese electronic giants have useable subwoofers, however, for more extreme performance the higher end american brands tend to deliver more bang for the buck. You generally get what you pay for. For most of the US branded products though they are all mass produce in china now so I can't say the quality will be identical as before with older electronics, however, Ive used and heard some of the current products and they still perform.

If I was on a budget and new to carstereo, I'd go with alpine deck, JL amps and subs, which ever seperate mid tweeter combination of speaker sounded good with my music and could handle the volume I like to listen to.

I have some used amps and subs for sale too so if you don't find anything in your price range new that fits the bill or want more performance with out the cost, PM me.

If you have deep pockets and want high end sound checkout audio concepts, I'm a big fan of Focal speakers and subs. Boston Acoustics pro series is good for speakers too.

Good luck with the shopping, don't forget to bring music you like to hear and always listen to it first before buying.