PDA

View Full Version : replacing glass and headlights on import

japancar
02-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Anyone having issues replacing glass/headlights for their JDM import?

I hear the BC gov is getting strict on the inspectors now, and inspectors have to send in photos of what they are trying to register.

mojoman
02-20-2007, 08:30 PM
you are correct. I'm having my jdm crx inspected right now. it is more strict than a normal inspection and the inspector does have to send pictures in. my glass has all the right markings and am just waiting to here about the headlights. hopefully the first inspection will be done and I will give you an update. is taking a little longer than normal cause the new regs only came out feb. 2 and this is the first one my inspector has done with them.

calgarys13
02-20-2007, 10:37 PM
need DOT lights to pas OOP in alberta now..so lots of problems for me

3G
02-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Yeah I saw a Skyline at the auction, Im guessing it didnt pass inspection, said some shit about the glass not being approved

japancar
02-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by 3G
Yeah I saw a Skyline at the auction, Im guessing it didnt pass inspection, said some shit about the glass not being approved

Others are telling me that the glass can be changed.

The Cosworth
02-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Is this just on JDM vehicles or is it for any OOP vehicles

finboy
02-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris

i'd say jdm only because the government doesn't like young folks having cars with power :D

mx73someday
02-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris

The Alberta Government is sending inspectors to mechanics and showing them how imported Japanese vehicles fail some of the requirements of the OOP manual. While all vehicles have to follow what the OOP manual specifies, they are only apparently scrutinizing imported Japanese vehicles as they often don't comply when they are first imported.

While I agree with these efforts and I believe that all imported vehicles should be complied, there is a huge concern regarding the requirement for lamps in the OOP manual and how North American vehicles are not scrutinized for this unfair requirement:

http://www.importconcern.ca/misc/oop_lamps_1.jpg

It says that any lamp should be rejected if it does not display a DOT/SAE marking. This affects more than just imported 15 year old Japanese cars. Many new european cars including Mercedes Benz, Smart and Volvo (and possibly many more) have ECE standard lights that sometimes have no markings or only the ECE marking. Technically they should be failing these vehicles as well at OOP inspections in Alberta.

This OOP manual requirement for DOT/SAE markings exceeds the provincial equipment regulation requirements for lamps:

http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/Regs/2002_322.cfm?frm_isbn=0779717090

In Part 1, Vehicle Lamps, section 4.3 it says:

"A lamp or replacement lamp on a vehicle complies with this section if it meets the manufacturer’s specification for the vehicle it is incorporated in or attached to"

This means that original factory JIS or ECE standard lights comply with the Traffic Safety Act, so they are legal for road use, contrary to what the OOP manual would have you believe. The only other item I could find in the Alberta Traffic Safety Act that would be an issue for imported Japanese vehicles is that the lights cannot be aimed at oncoming traffic.

Other than the headlight issue, the typical things that need to be replaced justifiably in Alberta are daytime running lights (on vehicle's manufactured after Dec 1989), amber side markers mounted at front, red side markers mounted at rear and high mount brake light (if not equipped after something like 1987...can't remember exactly).

mojoman
02-27-2007, 09:28 PM
I went in to check on the OOP for my car today 91 JDM CRX. This is for an inspection in B.C. for anyone who is interested. These are the thing that have to be fixed
1. tires must be replaced because there is no load rating on the side if the tires.
2. Head lights replaced, no DOT markings, note 90/91 civic/crx lights will bolt into a JDM but the JDM only run one bulb where as the DOT run two bulbs so you need to rewire it for two bulbs, which is quite simple.
3. Must have a neutral switch, this car did not come with a neutral switch here or Japan, but DOT says it has to have one.
4. Must have day time running lights. They were hooked up but would not let the car shut off when park lights were on, so I will have to find a differnt place to hook them up. How they found out the car wouldn't shut off with park lights on I will never know.
There were a few things like CV boots on the axles ripped, not enough non slip coating on pedals, but nothing big like replacing glass (must have AS1 or AS2 or a few other as numbers to pass).
Alot of the stuff a guy can do himself, but I don't have a garage and don't feel like freezing my ass off in the drive way. B.C. is getting very anal about JDM inspections. Two DOT guys came to the shop to oversee the inspection. The shop needs to email pics of all this to the head inspection yahoo here before the can give the car a new serial number (japan has 10#, B.C wants 17#).
Hope this will help anyone who is thinking of importing a car, there were other things but the car had them so it wasn't a problem.

ca18det240sx
02-27-2007, 09:41 PM
:bullshit:

Pretty soon theyre going to have such a stranglehold that you wont be able to get jdm cars anymore. Import them while you can, because in the future, i see only bad things for the importation of jdm cars. If they implement the 25 year rule....wtf are you going to import then.....

sucks ass, was hoping on bringing over r33 one day

soloracer
02-27-2007, 10:32 PM
I say more power to them. Keep the right hand drive JDM stuff where it belongs - in Japan. I think they should make all right hand drive vehicles illegal. There is no way that having a right hand drive vehicle on the road is as safe as having a left hand drive car. If you own or are looking to buy a right hand drive car be aware that sooner or later one will be involved in a big wreck and that the odds are that is all the government is waiting for to restict them even further. So that cheap import may not be as cheap as you thought.

Redlyne_mr2
02-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by soloracer
I say more power to them. Keep the right hand drive JDM stuff where it belongs - in Japan. I think they should make all right hand drive vehicles illegal. There is no way that having a right hand drive vehicle on the road is as safe as having a left hand drive car. If you own or are looking to buy a right hand drive car be aware that sooner or later one will be involved in a big wreck and that the odds are that is all the government is waiting for to restict them even further. So that cheap import may not be as cheap as you thought.
Youre only saying this because youre a porsche guy...if jdm Porsches were rhd what side of the fence would you be on. btw want to trade your 968 for rhd toyota :D :)

calgarys13
02-28-2007, 12:47 AM
^have you driven one?most of these statement are totally based on claims of other people...once again...its not the cars fault its human error...if you have trouble with RHD don't get one..
whole countries like myanmar (burma) drive on the left hand side yet over 80% of the cars are RHD cars imported from japan...so 80% of the population drives on the wrong side EVERY DAMN DAY...so if they can figure it out why can't we...don't blame the cars blame the drivers

mojoman
02-28-2007, 03:43 PM
calgarys13 you are right. there are lots of people driving jdm 4runners and landcruisers. they are not getting in accidents because they are not driving like idiots. having drivin my car the only and I repeat only problem I can see with driving a rhd is passing a semi or suv on the highway. but then you just have to have enough sense to make sure it is clear or wait for a passing lane.

talonboi
02-28-2007, 11:43 PM
i just saw a RHD mail deilvery truck on barlow:D

Isaiah
02-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by talonboi
i just saw a RHD mail deilvery truck on barlow:D
Did you check the headlights?

calgarys13
03-01-2007, 09:31 AM
im more worried about getting taken out by soccer mom swerving in her escalade after spilling her starbucks all over her north face jacket than anyone being on the other side of the car....

japancar
03-03-2007, 06:18 PM
All the critics of rhd cars in Canada don't realize that its a few drivers who are causing the problem. Its like "guns don't kill people, its the people who use them".

In Japan, there are a very large number of lhd imports (German and North American). I've never heard a Japanese person say "we have to ban lhd imports because they're cheap or causing accidents".

It's all about the driver, not the car.

jhmed
03-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by mojoman
I went in to check on the OOP for my car today 91 JDM CRX. This is for an inspection in B.C. for anyone who is interested. These are the thing that have to be fixed
1. tires must be replaced because there is no load rating on the side if the tires.
2. Head lights replaced, no DOT markings, note 90/91 civic/crx lights will bolt into a JDM but the JDM only run one bulb where as the DOT run two bulbs so you need to rewire it for two bulbs, which is quite simple.
3. Must have a neutral switch, this car did not come with a neutral switch here or Japan, but DOT says it has to have one.
4. Must have day time running lights. They were hooked up but would not let the car shut off when park lights were on, so I will have to find a differnt place to hook them up. How they found out the car wouldn't shut off with park lights on I will never know.
There were a few things like CV boots on the axles ripped, not enough non slip coating on pedals, but nothing big like replacing glass (must have AS1 or AS2 or a few other as numbers to pass).
Alot of the stuff a guy can do himself, but I don't have a garage and don't feel like freezing my ass off in the drive way. B.C. is getting very anal about JDM inspections. Two DOT guys came to the shop to oversee the inspection. The shop needs to email pics of all this to the head inspection yahoo here before the can give the car a new serial number (japan has 10#, B.C wants 17#).
Hope this will help anyone who is thinking of importing a car, there were other things but the car had them so it wasn't a problem.

The tires may not be an issue anymore. Check if they are stamped JIS and have the load/speed rating and PSI marked on them. Refer to www.15years.ca there is a thread about JIS tires being authorized in the past couple days. Saves you some money.

mojoman
03-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the info. replacing the tires was not a problem since I had tires and rims to put on the car from my other crx. car is now certified and registared in B.C.
Just some thoughts for anyone buying a jdm car. go over the car with a fine tooth comb before you buy it. make sure things that will be difficult or expensive to replace are already done ie: glass as dot markings, headlights are dot or sae approved, there is a catalytic converter on the car, tires have all the right markings ie: load rating, max tire pressure, ect. must have daytime running lights hooked up and working. Have all the right paper work ie: japanese registration and translated copy, form 1, bill of sale from importer, copy of oop if it has been done. Alberta may be more forgiving with oop inspection, but in B.C. the are cracking done.
This next information comes from the shop that did my oop and I did not here it first hand so take it for what it is worth and this is B.C. only. He was in contact with the head dude in B.C. for the inpections since this was the first one they had done with the new regs. as of feb. 2/07. the dot guy told him that some asshole in kelowna was responsible for the tighting of regs. because he had been importing cars and having somebody sign off oop's without a proper inspection. He also told him that the would be recalling inspections done before feb. 2 to be reinspected with the new regs. he didn't say if it would be all jdm cars or just the ones done by this company in kelowna. remeber this is just what I was told and did not hear it first hand.
as for me I will be getting my car ready for when the snow melts.