PDA

View Full Version : How much do "YOU" tip the pizza delivery man/woman?

CaseoftheEX
02-20-2007, 08:25 PM
I know pizza delivery aint the easiest or best income job, so I give 20-25% min. If its snowing out or freezing, I give a bit more.

max_boost
02-20-2007, 08:35 PM
It depends.

% rule doesn't apply when the bill is small. $15 bill, I'll still leave $5. $5 is just the norm for me.

Also depends whether a delivery charge has been added.
Also depends how fast they get here.
Also depends what the weather is like outside.

It just depends.

I'm just waiting for someone to post, I don't tip, it's the drivers job to drop off my order, if he doesn't like it, get another job rant. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Audio_Rookie
02-20-2007, 08:37 PM
ya depends on the bill if its like 15.xx I will give him a 20 and he keeps the rest.

pizza delivery usually a 5$ tip...ish.

Kona9
02-20-2007, 08:40 PM
DITTO

TrevorK
02-20-2007, 09:13 PM
For pizza I usually just give the guy $2-3. So I guess that's 10-15% then....

redline_13000
02-20-2007, 09:16 PM
usually 5-10bux

jdm_eg6
02-20-2007, 09:16 PM
depends, after being at fiores 4 times and gettin shit service my tips have plummeted. but usually 20-25%

Dayclone
02-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Depends on the server...

If the lady or guy is giving me attitude right away they get 3 bucks, and it gets deducted from there.... So if you continue to give me attitude your going to end up with no tips.

other than that double the GST hehe I'm a cheapo, cause I like to save my money to put into car mods and the fiance...

Steve

Whitetiger
02-20-2007, 09:55 PM
:rofl:

silver_gs-R
02-20-2007, 09:56 PM
5-10 bux.

01RedDX
02-20-2007, 10:02 PM

5hift
02-20-2007, 10:14 PM
^^

well you are asking beyond... lowballing and being cheap is the norm

Crymson
02-20-2007, 10:46 PM
I'll round to the nearest 5, but if that's is less than 1$, i'll toss in a toonie.

So minimum 2$, maximum 5$

topmade
02-20-2007, 11:06 PM
15 to 20% normally and will adjust lower / higher depending on service at a restaurant. Delivery $5 normally. I did chinese delivery for a while and would say $3-$5 is normal. Some other people will give you $5-$10 that balance off for the cheap bastards that give you less then $1. The odd guy will give you $10+ up to $20. I always remember the cheap bastards and good tippers and would prioritize the deliveries according to how much tip I would expect to get.

And for the delivery charges, all places charge this, some places are built in and others are added. It's a mind thing, people automatically give smaller tips because they see the delivery charge on the bills. I've done both for a while and trust me, you make more $$$ when people can't see the delivery charge.

Dayclone
02-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Haha my buddy one time ordered chinese and it was like $10, and he gave the delivery guy a $100 bill and told him to keep it LOL!!! tipped him $90 bucks... dude that's insane....

pyar__deewane
02-21-2007, 12:04 AM
^^ :rofl:

did he do it knowingly...or was he :nut:

msommers
02-21-2007, 12:12 AM
If it arrives within 5-10 minutes of when it's supposed to, and it's still hot, 15% rounded up to the nearest whole number.

If it's late and it's cold, no tip. Harsh but fair. Panago is only 10 minutes away from my house, no excuse as far as I'm concerned for a cold pizza.

adam c
02-21-2007, 12:16 AM
well they have a delivery charge, plus sometimes i use debit and thats another charge.. so i give them like 2.50.. that makes around $5-6

ianmcc
02-21-2007, 10:21 AM
I round up-$27.45->$30. I add more if it is within the time window I was promised, more if it was real fast. I know almost all companies add a delivery charge which goes to the driver IIRC. Nothing if it's late or I get any attitude.

sputnik
02-21-2007, 10:53 AM
$3-5 as long as the pizza is hot and arrives around the time they said it would.

TrevorK
02-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Wow, I guess it's you guys that are keeping pizza delivery from being the lucrative job it once was.

If everyone tipped $2/deliver the pizza boy would make over $15/hour as the ones I know get $2-3/delivery from the restaurant. All they would need to do is 4 deliveries per hour, which is nothing at all.

natejj
02-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Never more then 3 bucks. Minimum 1 buck.

phreezee
02-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Depends on if I'm already getting dinged a delivery charge or not. Usually $5 though.

Pee_Sack
02-21-2007, 11:41 AM
I have done pizza delivery for multiple places

Panago-->Pizza Hut-->Boston Pizza

Keep in mind this is Fort McMurray when I tell you how much I made at each one.

Panago was only 2 or 3 shifts cuz I got the job at Pizza Hut and they paid more and I was averaging $60-100 on a weeknight. $100-$150 for a weekend.

I got $2.50 per delivery I took plus tips.

Pizza hut was for 8 months, but I got a job at a computer shop(what I wanted to do after school anyways)

I was still in school when I started this job so I worked Thursday, Friday, Saturday nights from 5-12. These were busy nights, I made $3.50 per delivery plus tips. On average for these 3 days I would make $600.

Boston Pizza was my most recent and I did this job for 4 months. I would work 3-4 days/week as a second job. I would make $600-800. I would make $10/hour plus tips.

Out of all 3 my easiest and best paying was Boston Pizza, I also got the best tips there.

It's funny because up here you know who works out at site making $50+/hour due to the size of there house and cars in the driveway. Also you know who is married and both people work jobs in town by the house and lack of cars. It is always the ones that have smaller houses less money that tip better. It seems the more you make the more stingy you are.

After doing this and realizing most of the time its not the delivery guys fault at why it is late(60% of the time its the cooks, 20% of the time its bad traffic/hard to find house/no porch lights on and 20% of the time it is just because the driver was lazy or stupid) I always tip good. Also it is like at a bar if you tip good you will get your drinks faster then another table. If you tip me good next time you order yours will be the first one I drop off.

On average I was happy with a $5 tip, a lot of people did $2-3 and some did $10+. I myself will tip in the $10+ range.

Originally posted by TrevorK

If everyone tipped $2/deliver the pizza boy would make over $15/hour as the ones I know get $2-3/delivery from the restaurant. All they would need to do is 4 deliveries per hour, which is nothing at all.

Ok but keep in mind for the 6-10 hours we worked 2-3 of them we will maybe get 1 or 2 deliveries. That is why Boston Pizza was the best for me cuz they still paid by the hour. Also factor in gas, I would burn up >1/2 tank of gas in a 8 hour shift. That is another $30 that I hafta pay. A lot more maintenance on the car, more frequent oil changes. On average I would make around $10-15/hour when its all worked out after expenses and stuff.

Also at the end of the night, I would give the girls that worked take-out counter 15% of what I made in tips that night cuz they are the ones that organize all my deliveries for me and hand them out. I keep them happy they make my job easier.

89coupe
02-21-2007, 11:43 AM
$5

old&slow
02-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Pee_Sack
I have done pizza delivery for multiple places

Panago-->Pizza Hut-->Boston Pizza

Keep in mind this is Fort McMurray when I tell you how much I made at each one.

Panago was only 2 or 3 shifts cuz I got the job at Pizza Hut and they paid more and I was averaging $60-100 on a weeknight. $100-$150 for a weekend.

I got $2.50 per delivery I took plus tips.

Pizza hut was for 8 months, but I got a job at a computer shop(what I wanted to do after school anyways)

I was still in school when I started this job so I worked Thursday, Friday, Saturday nights from 5-12. These were busy nights, I made $3.50 per delivery plus tips. On average for these 3 days I would make $600.

Boston Pizza was my most recent and I did this job for 4 months. I would work 3-4 days/week as a second job. I would make $600-800. I would make $10/hour plus tips.

Out of all 3 my easiest and best paying was Boston Pizza, I also got the best tips there.

It's funny because up here you know who works out at site making $50+/hour due to the size of there house and cars in the driveway. Also you know who is married and both people work jobs in town by the house and lack of cars. It is always the ones that have smaller houses less money that tip better. It seems the more you make the more stingy you are.

After doing this and realizing most of the time its not the delivery guys fault at why it is late(60% of the time its the cooks, 20% of the time its bad traffic/hard to find house/no porch lights on and 20% of the time it is just because the driver was lazy or stupid) I always tip good. Also it is like at a bar if you tip good you will get your drinks faster then another table. If you tip me good next time you order yours will be the first one I drop off.

On average I was happy with a $5 tip, a lot of people did $2-3 and some did $10+. I myself will tip in the $10+ range.

Ok but keep in mind for the 6-10 hours we worked 2-3 of them we will maybe get 1 or 2 deliveries. That is why Boston Pizza was the best for me cuz they still paid by the hour. Also factor in gas, I would burn up >1/2 tank of gas in a 8 hour shift. That is another $30 that I hafta pay. A lot more maintenance on the car, more frequent oil changes. On average I would make around $10-15/hour when its all worked out after expenses and stuff.

Also at the end of the night, I would give the girls that worked take-out counter 15% of what I made in tips that night cuz they are the ones that organize all my deliveries for me and hand them out. I keep them happy they make my job easier.

You just got to love a well thought out post!

hjr
02-21-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't tip, it's the drivers job to drop off my order, if he doesn't like it, get another job

msommers
02-21-2007, 12:50 PM
I myself will tip in the $10+ range.

So you're telling me if you order two pizzas ~25 bucks, you'd give someone 35 and keep the change? That's like 40% tip! For that I better be getting my dick sucked

Originally posted by hjr
I don't tip, it's the drivers job to drop off my order, if he doesn't like it, get another job
So you never tip at restaurants either? It's their job to bring you food too.

Which actually brings up a good point. Why is the food industry surrounded with tipping as the norm but the guy pumping gas would be lucky as hell to get a tip and certainly doesn't expect it. If you think about it, full service gas stations and restaurants both factor in the cost of the food + labour and yet the food guy gets all the tips.

Then there is the bar. Don't even get me started on bartenders who snarl at you when you give them a 0.50 tip on a $6 dollar beer, I HATE YOU NO MATTER HOW HOT YOU ARE:guns: The 3 seconds it took for you to open my beer doesn't warrant you getting 2 dollars from me, especially after I've been waiting for 5 minutes already and cost of that beer is already 3 times more than what I'd pay at the liquor store.

Sharpie
02-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Depends I usually will just round up, so usually anywhere from $3-$10..

iblizzard
02-21-2007, 01:07 PM
I've worked for Panago up in crowfoot as an assistant manager/driver for about 3 years now, so I figure I might put my input. :)

Originally posted by max_boost
Also depends whether a delivery charge has been added.

I know that most places charge delivery fees, but that delivery fee doesn't actually go to the driver. For example, Panago used to have free delivery until about 1.5 years ago when it jumped up to $1. I had many customers ask me why it went up and where that money was going. My honest answer to them was that it went directly into the pocket of the owner as none of the drivers (or any of the staff) was seeing any of it, and it wasn't being put back into the store. We just recently upped the delivery charge to $2, and again, the drivers/staff doesn't see any of it, and the store is no better because of it. (Our operating costs also aren't any higher.)

I get asked a lot at the door if there is a delivery fee already added onto the bill. I tell them that there is, but I'm always thinking in my head that I know I won't be getting a tip when they ask that, since a lot of people assume that money goes to the driver.

Now saying that, we do get paid per delivery, of course. Hourly wage drivers at Panago make $1/delivery (and $2/delivery for extremely far deliveries), and our contract drivers make $2.75/delivery.

Tips range from $2-$5 usually, averaging out to about $3.30, so even if we get stiffed, it's still paying quite well.

I always tip delivery drivers quite high now that I've been one. Minimum of $5.

Originally posted by msommers
If it arrives within 5-10 minutes of when it's supposed to, and it's still hot, 15% rounded up to the nearest whole number.

If it's late and it's cold, no tip. Harsh but fair. Panago is only 10 minutes away from my house, no excuse as far as I'm concerned for a cold pizza.

Being that I work at Panago, I feel I should defend this a bit. I deal with customers on the phone every single day that are complaining that they have a late delivery, and that they are only a 10 minute drive from the store. Well, that would be a perfectly good reason to be angry if it was in fact as easy as a 10 minute drive. When I leave the store (since we're very understaffed, just like everyone else in Calgary), I am usually taking 3 or 4 deliveries with me. I have to deliver them in the fastest order possible with the oldest order first. I also have to deal with traffic (which can take up to 15 minutes just to get OUT of Crowfoot on a Friday or Saturday), bad roads, and problems at the door (customers not having money ready, not having enough money, not having lights on or a visible house number).

I think if there's a problem with the order, don't take it out on the driver. Call the store directly and talk to a manager. Tell them about the problem (late, cold pizza, whatever) and we'll fix it for you (credit or a new pizza).

As Pee_Sack said, it's very very rarely the driver's fault that the pizza is late. And I don't feel they should be punished for it.

Tips are what make the job worthwhile. The delivery fee that I get paid only BARELY covers the cost of gas (at about 150-200km/night, 530km/tank, $50 to fill... it's pretty expensive).

My largest tip was $120, though. Delivered to a party up in Royal Oak, the bill was about $80 and he handed me two 100s and told me to keep it all.

(excuse the randomness of this post... I'm watching a movie while trying to organize my thoughts.. not working so well!)

88CRX
02-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Round up to the closest $5 :dunno:

Usually ends up being $5 or whatever we all have for change lying around.

BTW this is a :repost: x10 same shit is said everytime this thread comes around.

cj_1117
02-21-2007, 01:15 PM
It isin't easy for the delivery man to do the job so basically i give 30~ 50 % tips.

-QA-
02-21-2007, 01:24 PM
For delivery drivers mostly 5$ and if im dinning depends on the the attitude, food and service and how hot the hostess is :D

Isaiah
02-21-2007, 01:33 PM
I round up to the nearest $5 increment with a minimum of $2.00, in which case I'll give an extra toonie.

Eg: $24.50, I'll give him $27; $22.50, I'll give him $25.

CaseoftheEX
02-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by topmade
15 to 20% normally and will adjust lower / higher depending on service at a restaurant. Delivery $5 normally. I did chinese delivery for a while and would say $3-$5 is normal. Some other people will give you $5-$10 that balance off for the cheap bastards that give you less then $1. The odd guy will give you $10+ up to $20. I always remember the cheap bastards and good tippers and would prioritize the deliveries according to how much tip I would expect to get.

And for the delivery charges, all places charge this, some places are built in and others are added. It's a mind thing, people automatically give smaller tips because they see the delivery charge on the bills. I've done both for a while and trust me, you make more $$$ when people can't see the delivery charge.

From what I was told, rich people tend to cheap out more on tipping than the average joe.:dunno:

hjr
02-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by CaseoftheEX

From what I was told, rich people tend to cheap out more on tipping than the average joe.:dunno: how do you think they got rich

Weapon_R
02-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Round up to the nearest 5 unless its only a couple dollars, then round up to the next 5

CaseoftheEX
02-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by iblizzard
[B

My largest tip was $120, though. Delivered to a party up in Royal Oak, the bill was about $80 and he handed me two 100s and told me to keep it all.
[/B]
they were probably counterfeit lol. jokes

Anyways Ive always thought that the hardest thing for a delivery person to deal with is knowing the roads. I mean especially if you are doing deliveries across the entire city, i would imagine there will be times where ytou just have to pull out that map in crunch situations.

CaseoftheEX
02-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by hjr
how do you think they got rich lol:burnout:

kerry
02-21-2007, 03:58 PM
I usually tip quite well.. anywhere between $8-15 depending
on the bill.

$12.00 gets rounded up to $20
Unless they're giving me shit service. Then it goes from generous to absolutely nothing.

These guys need to make a living too.

ashee
02-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Usually double the tax plus a few dollars

Pee_Sack
02-21-2007, 04:54 PM

So you're telling me if you order two pizzas ~25 bucks, you'd give someone 35 and keep the change? That's like 40% tip! For that I better be getting my dick sucked

Well, to be fair I have done this a lot and when you get that good tip around $10 from one house it makes you feel good and you get put in a better mood. Anyone that has even done retail/serving will know how easily 1 or 2 rude people can ruin your mood, some thing with delivering. I know how good it made me feel when someone would give me a good tip, so why not pass on the feeling.

Which actually brings up a good point. Why is the food industry surrounded with tipping as the norm but the guy pumping gas would be lucky as hell to get a tip and certainly doesn't expect it. If you think about it, full service gas stations and restaurants both factor in the cost of the food + labour and yet the food guy gets all the tips.

If we had any full-serv pumps up here I would tip the guy, but I don't trust those kids, even when I do go out of town and there is a full serv place I get out and pump my own.

Then there is the bar. Don't even get me started on bartenders who snarl at you when you give them a 0.50 tip on a $6 dollar beer, I HATE YOU NO MATTER HOW HOT YOU ARE:guns: The 3 seconds it took for you to open my beer doesn't warrant you getting 2 dollars from me, especially after I've been waiting for 5 minutes already and cost of that beer is already 3 times more than what I'd pay at the liquor store.

I have a different view on this than you do. I am not tipping on the beer I got, I am tipping on the beer I will be getting next time. I always go to the same pub up here and the bartender knows me and always has a kokanee waiting for me when I go there, so of course she gets a good tip ~$2-3 per beer (Need change for pool tables :D) and I usually drink a few beers. If I go to a bar where it's packed and I have to wait 15 mins to get a kokanee and there are girls/friends of the bartenders getting server before me then I will not tip.

I am a very strong believer in the fact that you are not tipping on the service you just recieved you are tipping on the next service you will get. People in the service industry do remember returning customers who frequently don't tip well or tip very well and they will get priority over others.

max_boost
02-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Well said Pee_Sack! I agree with everything you said, I've been doing this whole restaurant thing coming up on 12 years. My gf says I over-tip but only those who have worked in the industry will understand why.

sneek
02-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Which place do you own or work at again? It was in the investments thread, but I can't find it.

turbotrip
02-21-2007, 06:55 PM
if ur not doubling the bill, ur not ballin like me

BALLINN!!! :D

The Cosworth
02-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by ianmcc
I round up-$27.45->$30. I add more if it is within the time window I was promised, more if it was real fast. I know almost all companies add a delivery charge which goes to the driver IIRC. Nothing if it's late or I get any attitude.

werd

exactly me

Pee_Sack
02-21-2007, 07:28 PM

The lateness usually isn't the drivers fault though and 90% of people think it is. Granted once in a while it will be thier fault most of the time it isn't. Most companies do add a delivery charge when an order is under a certain amount $10-$15. The drivers don't see a penny of that charge. Or when a company will add a delivery charge on any order, same thing drivers don't see a penny of that. As far as the attitude goes I agree, if the driver is some idiot and being an asshole at your door by all means don't tip him.

Audio_Rookie
02-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Most companies do add a delivery charge when an order is under a certain amount $10-$15. The drivers don't see a penny of that charge

I thought most delivery guys get a certain amount (like 2-3$) per delivery....dont you think that would be majority of the charge?

there only charging it so they can pay the delivery man.

CivicTunr
02-21-2007, 07:58 PM

haha i work at a full serve gas station, i dont mind not getting tipped, as long as the person is not an asshole and will have a conversation. if they are a dick, than they can clean their own windows. Most annoying is when someone gets less than 10$ in gas haha.

LiquidK
02-21-2007, 08:09 PM
some girl at boston pizza had the nerve to give me attitude after i didnt tip, it wasnt the food that was bad, just, mentally challenged people shouldnt be serving my god damn food.

otherwise atleast 5$ or 10%, whichever comes second

20% if the server is REALLY personable

Dren
02-21-2007, 08:25 PM

nicely put :thumbsup:

HuMz
02-21-2007, 08:32 PM

The lateness usually isn't the drivers fault though and 90% of people think it is. Granted once in a while it will be thier fault most of the time it isn't. Most companies do add a delivery charge when an order is under a certain amount $10-$15. The drivers don't see a penny of that charge. Or when a company will add a delivery charge on any order, same thing drivers don't see a penny of that. As far as the attitude goes I agree, if the driver is some idiot and being an asshole at your door by all means don't tip him.

Exactly, I did some delivery work part time through my buddies dad who owned the company doing local KFC's, Pizza hut etc....

95% of the time its not the drivers fault, sometimes you get 8 orders that print off right after the other, and because the times were set back or the call centre fell behind, then your stuck trying to deliever 8 orders within the next 45 min.

The only time its ever the drivers fault for being late is if your lost, which never happened unless it was a brand new area not on the map yet.

TRDTercelen1
02-21-2007, 08:55 PM
i used to deliver in kingston, and it always pissed me off when some people would give me 15 bucks when the meal came to 14.65 or something and then tell me i can keep the change...so when i order a pizza, depending on whose with me and ordering, unless the pizza is under 30 bucks they usually get 15-20 dollar tip...because i know that is going to be stuck in there head, and hey, its not really that hard to make up 15 bucks, better then spending it on pot or cigarettes i always say

dieselpower91
02-21-2007, 09:08 PM

I know that most places charge delivery fees, but that delivery fee doesn't actually go to the driver.

As Pee_Sack said, it's very very rarely the driver's fault that the pizza is late. And I don't feel they should be punished for it.

Tips are what make the job worthwhile. The delivery fee that I get paid only BARELY covers the cost of gas (at about 150-200km/night, 530km/tank, $50 to fill... it's pretty expensive).

Very well said. I have been delivering pizza off and on for the last few years.

I recently started working a few nights a week on top of my day job.
If it weren't for the tips It wouldn't be worth while.
I make $3/delivery and average about $2-3 tip/delivery.
My opinion is if you don't want to tip, are too cheap or can't afford it then get up off your lazy ass and pick it up yourself!
I understand if the delivery driver pulls up blasting music and being a general jackass, but I am very respectful to people and their property when I deliver. I always make conversation and thank them when I'm leaving. (even if I don't get a tip)

I don't take the orders or make the pizza's so if those two aspects of it are behind then all I can do is try my best to get it there ASAP.

I don't make any more per delivery since they brought in delivery charge.

Another side note here, I used to Deliver in the Edgemont, Hamptons, Hawkwood, Citadel area. I now deliver in Huntington, Thornecliffe, North Haven, Beddington areas. I found half the time the poorer areas tip better.
Rich people like their money too much.

TrevorK
02-22-2007, 11:38 PM
The lateness usually isn't the drivers fault though and 90% of people think it is. Granted once in a while it will be thier fault most of the time it isn't.

Doesn't matter who's fault the lateness is in the customer's eyes, to them it's ultimately the driver.

When you are tipping a deliver driver you are paying him for his service (Fresh pizza, reasonable time). You aren't tipping him just because he brought you a pizza at some random time, you are tipping him because your pizza was delivered in a reasonable manner (According to the customer) and still fresh (According to the customer).

If your pizza is cold when you get it, it doesn't matter whether the driver got lost or the cook forgot to put it under the heatlamp. If the driver doesn't feel that the pizza is up to quality standards, why are they delivering it in the first place? Because they feel that their job is to simply drop off the pizza and regardless of how fresh it is / how quick delivery is, collect a tip.

Most companies do add a delivery charge when an order is under a certain amount $10-$15. The drivers don't see a penny of that charge. Or when a company will add a delivery charge on any order, same thing drivers don't see a penny of that.

If the driver is being paid per delivery, as is the case with most drivers, then they are being paid out of the delivery charge that the customer pays. Whether the charge is more or less than the driver receives is irrelevant, if there is a delivery charge present it in one way, shape or form goes towards paying the driver.

If the driver was working on just tips, I could see the logic of "the delivery charge doesn't go to the driver", but we all know they get a base wage/rate per delivery.

TrevorK
02-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by dieselpower91
My opinion is if you don't want to tip, are too cheap or can't afford it then get up off your lazy ass and pick it up yourself!

Question - why should a person feel obligated to tip when they are already paying a delivery charge (Which goes directly to the driver's wage)?

A delivery charge is what the customer is paying to have the pizza delivered to their door. What makes a delivery driver feel that they deserve a tip, that the customer has to shell out additional money for a delivery they already paid for?

In my opinion, it is tacky for a delivery driver to expect an automatic tip for every delivery. There will be people who tip average, people who tip above average, and people who tip nothing at all. This is an accepted part of the job, so deal with it and do your job as best you can regardless of the tip.

max_boost
02-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Customers will tip the driver based on their experiences as a whole. Make sure whoever it is working at the front counter can properly coordinate the orders and notify the customers of possible wait times. It isn't rocket science but does require some organizational skills! haha :rofl:

iblizzard
02-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Customers will tip the driver based on their experiences as a whole. Make sure whoever it is working at the front counter can properly coordinate the orders and notify the customers of possible wait times. It isn't rocket science but does require some organizational skills! haha :rofl:

You try getting people who can do that in Calgary right now. We employ about fifteen 15 year olds right now. They aren't old enough to have those organizational skills. They listen to what the supervisors tell them, and when you get 80 orders in one hour, you can't accurately tell the customer how long their order will take.

iblizzard
02-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Question - why should a person feel obligated to tip when they are already paying a delivery charge (Which goes directly to the driver's wage)?

I would agree, but when the delivery charge increases (as it has been doing for MANY places the past couple years) then theoretically the driver's pay (either an hourly wage or delivery fee) should increase, should it not?

I've had the delivery charge increase 3 times since I've been delivering, and my pay has been the exact same throughout

civickid_21
02-23-2007, 12:55 AM
I normally try to add between 15% and 20% on to my bill. Or round it to whatever gives me the least amount of change.

max_boost
02-23-2007, 01:06 AM

You try getting people who can do that in Calgary right now. We employ about fifteen 15 year olds right now. They aren't old enough to have those organizational skills. They listen to what the supervisors tell them, and when you get 80 orders in one hour, you can't accurately tell the customer how long their order will take. I completely understand! I deal with this stuff everyday, 7 days a week ;) Mind you I run a smaller family restaurant, I try my best to keep things operating as smoothly as possible. I refuse to hire anyone new. Everyone that works with me is either family or a friend haha

e36bmw///
02-23-2007, 01:27 AM
nm

max_boost
02-23-2007, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by e36bmw///

agreed

I always remember the bad tippers
so fuck em

Im a server, and i will treat people the same way they treat me. If they are nice, i will be the same. If they are demanding and are assholes,. then fuck them. Im pretty sure i wonr get a good tip anyways, so why be nice.

Most customers think that they are doing me a favor, eating at my restaurant, spending their money, but tipping like shit. I dont care how much money u spend, if u tip crappy dont come back. Its not my restaurant, ur not doing me a favor.

The worst, is when u get sat with a table that uve served before, and the stiffed you big time. You have to serve them which sucks.

haha :thumbsup:

Audio_Rookie
02-23-2007, 01:56 AM

Doesn't matter who's fault the lateness is in the customer's eyes, to them it's ultimately the driver.

When you are tipping a deliver driver you are paying him for his service (Fresh pizza, reasonable time). You aren't tipping him just because he brought you a pizza at some random time, you are tipping him because your pizza was delivered in a reasonable manner (According to the customer) and still fresh (According to the customer).

If your pizza is cold when you get it, it doesn't matter whether the driver got lost or the cook forgot to put it under the heatlamp. If the driver doesn't feel that the pizza is up to quality standards, why are they delivering it in the first place? Because they feel that their job is to simply drop off the pizza and regardless of how fresh it is / how quick delivery is, collect a tip.

If the driver is being paid per delivery, as is the case with most drivers, then they are being paid out of the delivery charge that the customer pays. Whether the charge is more or less than the driver receives is irrelevant, if there is a delivery charge present it in one way, shape or form goes towards paying the driver.

If the driver was working on just tips, I could see the logic of "the delivery charge doesn't go to the driver", but we all know they get a base wage/rate per delivery. [/B]

thats what I was trying to say.....the second part of your post.

Eric G.

Dren
02-23-2007, 02:08 AM
This is off topic a bit

But what do you think is tips you would leave
on a haircut..

ie..a guys haircut...18-25 bucks or so.. ??

e36bmw///
02-23-2007, 03:54 AM
nm

dino_martini
02-23-2007, 12:55 PM
depends if it was on time or not. never less then 5 though, gas is expensive.

James
02-23-2007, 01:48 PM

Exactly, If its busy just say so, customer will defenatly understand, or they can just order elsewhere....If a place says 20-30min and it ends up being an hour, of course the driver is gonna get a shitty tip, who else is the customer gonna take it out on?.... it also dosnt hurt when you have the Best Delivery Driver in the City working for ya too;) :D ....because i hate getting shitty tips myself i tend to over-tip quite a bit, but if the service truly is crap then i dont feel bad only giving a little bit.

A790
02-23-2007, 02:51 PM
I can remember many nights where I didn't go out for wings/beer because I couldn't afford to tip on top of the bill.

The fact is that if you don't tip you'll be one of those people who gets shitty service. Tough deal, but that's how it is.

So yea, the driver always gets like $5 from me. These guys gotta live too.

BoS_DC2
02-23-2007, 04:29 PM

werddd! That's just for pizza, if it's at any restaurant $5 would be the min.

shawtie
02-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by e36bmw///

The worst, is when u get sat with a table that uve served before, and the stiffed you big time. You have to serve them which sucks.

Thats shity, im a server and have had a few tables short me....they come back, I refuse to serve them. People who come in and are already rude, ill try serving them but im a firm believer in treat people the way you want to be treated...if they get rude with me they get shity service and attitude....if they really piss me off I just kick them out haha If its a really good table, friendly people, patient then I usually give them free dessert or a free beer or somthing...those kind of people make my night more often then not then a good tip. I cant count the number of times ive had a table of people attack me with hugs and shit haha

Pizza guy i'll usually tip $5, If I go out to eat it all depends on the service ive givin a $20 tip on a $15 order...its worth it if they make it enjoyable ill tip good.

msommers
02-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Well, to be fair I have done this a lot and when you get that good tip around $10 from one house it makes you feel good and you get put in a better mood. Anyone that has even done retail/serving will know how easily 1 or 2 rude people can ruin your mood, some thing with delivering. I know how good it made me feel when someone would give me a good tip, so why not pass on the feeling.

If we had any full-serv pumps up here I would tip the guy, but I don't trust those kids, even when I do go out of town and there is a full serv place I get out and pump my own.

I have a different view on this than you do. I am not tipping on the beer I got, I am tipping on the beer I will be getting next time. I always go to the same pub up here and the bartender knows me and always has a kokanee waiting for me when I go there, so of course she gets a good tip ~$2-3 per beer (Need change for pool tables :D) and I usually drink a few beers. If I go to a bar where it's packed and I have to wait 15 mins to get a kokanee and there are girls/friends of the bartenders getting server before me then I will not tip.

I am a very strong believer in the fact that you are not tipping on the service you just recieved you are tipping on the next service you will get. People in the service industry do remember returning customers who frequently don't tip well or tip very well and they will get priority over others.

Where do you draw the line between someone in the retail/serving industry and just someone being nice and doing their job?

Take for example these three scenarios:

1) The guy working at the drive-thru at Wendy's. Probably has had a few customers being rude that day, gets paid the same as a server per hour or close to, and yet doesn't get tipped. Does anyone tip the drive-thru guy? He's serving you food, he's taking your bill and he's treating you well. Why doesn't he deserve it?

2) Conversely, I'm at a nice restaurant. The first time I go there, the server is nice, the food is great, I'm really nice to the server, matter of fact he sits down with us for a minute and talks hockey. Everyone is happy. Then the bill comes along, I don't tip anything, give exact change and leave. Next time I come in, same server serves me and remembers me. Except this time he knows that I don't tip, and I get treated like shit, takes twice as long for my food and I get completely ignored. Is this fair?

3) Lastly, you're at BestBuy looking to purchase a new camera. The camera you had your heart set on actually has a lot of useless features and are more gimmick than function. The person helping you make this decision isn't making commission. In the end, the camera that you want isn't that great and was the most expensive. The one he suggests you to get is two-thirds the price and has every feature you were wanting with no gimmicks to try and make you buy it. He saved you money, he treated you well and yet would he expect a tip?

I'm not against tipping and a matter of fact I always do to servers, but what makes someone deserving of a tip?

- Cashier
- Bag boy
- Service tradesman - The Shaw guy comes out on a Saturday to fix your internet connection
- A lady helping you pick out clothes at Holt Renfrew or Walmart
- Mailman
- Architect who designs your new dream home
- Surgeon who takes a tumor out of your brain
- Lawyer who gets you out of a bind

These people are generally nice people, willing to help you out, doing their job, getting paid for it and wouldn't expect a tip from anyone. I'm sure if they got a "Thank you very much, I really appreciate that" would brighten their day. Yet the server is astonished and throughly disgusted you didn't leave a tip! "You fucking cheap bastard," they would say under their breath.

If tipping is the norm because servers don't make much per hour, that is a bullshit excuse to make more money. The only reason I could see for tipping is as an insurance policy in case some jackass decides to run and not pay, and there is money set aside to cover it. Then again, why should I then help some jackass pay for his meal?

I've been going to the same person to cut my hair since I was in grade 5. I'm now 21. She knows me by my voice on the phone, it's the only place I get my hair cut. We tell jokes, talk about life and generally are friends and care about each other. I didn't get that kind of service because I tipped anything! If I tipped would service have been different? At the end of the day, nothing would change except I would have less money.

Pee_sack I'm not trying to argue with you, so please don't feel upset if you are. Trying to understand your thinking behind this has got me utterly confused.

iblizzard
02-24-2007, 05:19 PM
msommers, I completely agree with everything you said in that post. Why should servers/delivery drivers/bartenders/etc. expect tips when people in practically the same position don't even expect a "Thank You".

I might think twice next time I go through the drive-thru at wendy's. Maybe I'll start tipping those other service industry people that don't expect it... of course going along with the same guidelines as I would tip in a restaurant. Good efficient service with a smile (how cliche!).

De Dutch
02-25-2007, 08:00 PM
3-5 bucks, fuck the pizza boy.

im2fst4u
02-25-2007, 09:05 PM
20% to 25% to most. I get the odd one that is an asshole and they get a buck or two!
Sometimes we get this lady for Chinese food and she gets the bare minimum (10%) as she is the worst driver I have ever met! RUDE and kinda smelly!

hussein
02-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by shawtie

Thats shity, im a server and have had a few tables short me....they come back, I refuse to serve them. People who come in and are already rude, ill try serving them but im a firm believer in treat people the way you want to be treated...if they get rude with me they get shity service and attitude....if they really piss me off I just kick them out haha If its a really good table, friendly people, patient then I usually give them free dessert or a free beer or somthing...those kind of people make my night more often then not then a good tip. I cant count the number of times ive had a table of people attack me with hugs and shit haha

Pizza guy i'll usually tip $5, If I go out to eat it all depends on the service ive givin a $20 tip on a $15 order...its worth it if they make it enjoyable ill tip good.

shieet, where do you work, i want a free desert, haha.

Where do you draw the line between someone in the retail/serving industry and just someone being nice and doing their job?

Take for example these three scenarios:

1) The guy working at the drive-thru at Wendy's. Probably has had a few customers being rude that day, gets paid the same as a server per hour or close to, and yet doesn't get tipped. Does anyone tip the drive-thru guy? He's serving you food, he's taking your bill and he's treating you well. Why doesn't he deserve it?

2) Conversely, I'm at a nice restaurant. The first time I go there, the server is nice, the food is great, I'm really nice to the server, matter of fact he sits down with us for a minute and talks hockey. Everyone is happy. Then the bill comes along, I don't tip anything, give exact change and leave. Next time I come in, same server serves me and remembers me. Except this time he knows that I don't tip, and I get treated like shit, takes twice as long for my food and I get completely ignored. Is this fair?

3) Lastly, you're at BestBuy looking to purchase a new camera. The camera you had your heart set on actually has a lot of useless features and are more gimmick than function. The person helping you make this decision isn't making commission. In the end, the camera that you want isn't that great and was the most expensive. The one he suggests you to get is two-thirds the price and has every feature you were wanting with no gimmicks to try and make you buy it. He saved you money, he treated you well and yet would he expect a tip?

I'm not against tipping and a matter of fact I always do to servers, but what makes someone deserving of a tip?

- Cashier
- Bag boy
- Service tradesman - The Shaw guy comes out on a Saturday to fix your internet connection
- A lady helping you pick out clothes at Holt Renfrew or Walmart
- Mailman
- Architect who designs your new dream home
- Surgeon who takes a tumor out of your brain
- Lawyer who gets you out of a bind

These people are generally nice people, willing to help you out, doing their job, getting paid for it and wouldn't expect a tip from anyone. I'm sure if they got a "Thank you very much, I really appreciate that" would brighten their day. Yet the server is astonished and throughly disgusted you didn't leave a tip! "You fucking cheap bastard," they would say under their breath.

If tipping is the norm because servers don't make much per hour, that is a bullshit excuse to make more money. The only reason I could see for tipping is as an insurance policy in case some jackass decides to run and not pay, and there is money set aside to cover it. Then again, why should I then help some jackass pay for his meal?

I've been going to the same person to cut my hair since I was in grade 5. I'm now 21. She knows me by my voice on the phone, it's the only place I get my hair cut. We tell jokes, talk about life and generally are friends and care about each other. I didn't get that kind of service because I tipped anything! If I tipped would service have been different? At the end of the day, nothing would change except I would have less money.

Pee_sack I'm not trying to argue with you, so please don't feel upset if you are. Trying to understand your thinking behind this has got me utterly confused.

Another great long post... haha, anyway, I agree with you. But one other position I would like to add is the hotel maid. She makes your bed and cleans your room and bathroom, but really, who ever leaves a tip for her? If you leave money, she probably won't take it because she doesn't want to be accused of stealing. I think that they do a good job quite often, and leaving 5$ or something in an envelope in the morning for them is a nice gesture, whats 5$ when you are paying a hundred(s) for a hotel room?

PS> Why didn't anyone add in the student clause for tipping? haha. Sometimes when I'm running low on funds for that month, I feel that if I would have saved up those tips, I would be able to get some extra food or something. But I feel rude not tipping something, so usually I always end up tipping.

shawtie
02-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by hussein
shieet, where do you work, i want a free desert, haha.

You have to earn it :P

KuruptEX
02-25-2007, 10:28 PM
where ever i go out to its its always $2.22 on debit of course
pizza is usually 5 bucks for me
hair cut i tip $1.11 debit of course lol

Isaiah
02-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Dren
This is off topic a bit

But what do you think is tips you would leave
on a haircut..

ie..a guys haircut...18-25 bucks or so.. ??

Haircut is a different story altogether. First off, it's completely personalized one-on-one. Servers usually have several tables at once, whereas when you're getting your hair cut it's just one on one.

My old barber used to get minimum $10 on a $15 haircut ($25 total just for clarity). Sometimes I would just double it and give him $30, and if I was in a good mood I would just give him a couple of $20's or a $50. This guy was all about the personality though, to the point where we actually became friends.

If you're introverted or just not personable, you shouldn't be cutting hair to begin with. if a hairdresser can make his/her customers comfortable, initiate a conversation, keep it going, and really make an effort, they deserve at least 25% in my opinion and more depending on the experience.

no_joke
03-01-2007, 12:21 AM
I have come to the conclusion that good tippers are insane.

I shoot for 10% always. Nothing more, nothing less. It averages out in the end based on the service I get. Sometimes good, sometimes bad-- 10% either way.

riceeater
03-01-2007, 12:51 AM
i never tip, i just tell my friends that i only brought $20 :thumbsup:

EDIT: oh wait, i thought this was for when you're out at a restaurant or bar

for the pizza, i just say i only brought $5, unless i have a $10 bill or a $20 in which case i just get someone to cover me