PDA

View Full Version : old people driving.. Your thoughts

AccordTypeR
05-27-2003, 04:32 PM
Latly ive had some bad experiances wiht elderly drivers. First incodent i was sadly waiting for the bus oneday and this old guy stopped his car in the middle of the road get out and slowly walks away. about 10 min later i see him come back with a shopper drug mart bag, get inot his car start it up and leave.

Incodent number 2 after the last silent rage meet, im sitting at this lite in the turning lane, and this old couple in a van pulls up next to me and stops( there light had been green for a while) the just sit there, then they just look over at me, they wait a few minuts and drive off.

its really strange what some people do, theres no reason to do any of it fuck they almost caused a 4 car pile up:banghead:

Wildcat
05-27-2003, 04:40 PM
old people should retake their drivers test at 60, and every 10 years after that, i dont mean to discriminate against age, but some ppl go senile and cannot take care of themselves any longer (hence retirement housing) and are a danger to themselves and other ppl on the road

Ive seen a ridiculously old man (like honestly 90+, he looked like he could drop dead any second) on Hwy2, when he was changing lanes his turn signal was on in the opposite direction he was turning, like WTF man??? get off the road!!!

Both my grandparents are horrible drivers as well, i refuse to get in the car if they are driving, they are oblivous to any forms of traffic signs (school zones, yields, stops, crosswalks, etc...) ; its fucking scary

AccordTypeR
05-27-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
old people should retake their drivers test at 60, and every 10 years after that, i dont mean to discriminate against age, but some ppl go senile and cannot take care of themselves

good call on that, there been a few other times... the worst thing ive ever seen while driving, some dumb bitch was reading a book, talkin on a cell phone, and lookin at a map while drivin.. she might have been puttin on make up to i can remember.. no bs either

sin
05-27-2003, 04:46 PM
i was there when they pulled beside us in the green lighted lane and stop, i think everyone should be tested at least every 10 years, that way ppl who fluked out the first time will eventually fuck up

fast95pony
05-27-2003, 05:27 PM
I think 70 should be the deadline (no pun intended) for mandatory eyesight and co-ordination tests every year. The problem is though,Seniors are a large vote,and no politian would introduce any law like that ,because seniors wouldn't vote for them...

Stratus_Power
05-27-2003, 05:32 PM
i've seen some pretty bad driving by the elderly.. i remember seeing this guy driving a rental down Glenmore/Macloed... he was going at 40 down that 80km/h road.. and he keep driving ON the lines.. i got pissed off so i tried to pass him when we were bothing trying to turn into Macloed.. then just when i was about ot pass, he swirl his car back ON the line again.. i had to slam on my brakes.. then he stopped his car like 6 cars length from the Right turn light...

I was nice enuf to not honk him ( it only was me behind him).. then then right turn light turned green, and ~ 30 secs later he finally moved forward and made the turn.. but made me miss it!!!

Roadrage
05-27-2003, 05:56 PM
I think 65 is a good age for seniors to be retested for their license. Then every 2 years after that. Also...test their parking ability.

My girlfriends grandmother (66) picked me up from the optometrist (had my pupils dilated) and I'm glad I couldn't see very well. She almost caused 3 accidents on the way home from Chinook Centre. I have stumbled to the C-Train station with my eyes fully dilated everytime since then and don't regret it.

sin
05-27-2003, 06:02 PM
OFF TOPIC: whats wrong with your eyes?

Mckenzie
05-27-2003, 06:04 PM
...... and look who has to pay the outrageous premiums....

:rolleyes:

I agree with you all for sure....

I dont deny that I am agressive behind the whell, but I am responsible, alert and defensive.

Old people do not have the reaction times that younger people do, nor do they have the emergency maneouver/ evasive action (sp?) reaction times down either. They also are not as alert, and I would assume are more prone to sudden medical emergencies. Also, at that age eye sight and hearing are not up to par, which all adds to the alertness factor.

I cant even count how many times I have merged onto DF behind a car with old foggies in it doing 60 km/h, or even stopped at the end of a merge lane looking behind them.:banghead:

Doodle
05-27-2003, 06:19 PM
If you have the kleenex box in the back window, take your keys, throw them in the garbage and never drive again.

sin
05-27-2003, 06:21 PM
haha sean no more driving for your mom

EMAXX
05-27-2003, 06:43 PM
I hate how most of them drive. They cut you off, they go way to slow, they can't really see. They shouldn't be able to drive.

Hakkola
05-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
Glenmore/Macloed... he was going at 40 down that 80km/h road..

:werd: same thing, glenmore old lady driving 40, then today on crowchild near 17th ave turnoff, old guy was doing 50...:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

max_boost
05-27-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

What outrageous premiums? Stay away from the tickets and your insurance will not be affected. Are you speaking of 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 year olds? Nothing wrong with charging them up the ass, for most of them will cause at least 1 accident during these years.

In general, I agree with what most of you have said but aging is not kind. I bet you that most of these seniors have no idea that what they are doing are even potentially harmful to other motorists on the road.

Altezza
05-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I bet you that most of these seniors have no idea that what they are doing are even potentially harmful to other motorists on the road.

Reminds me of a lot of female drivers too...

Mckenzie
05-27-2003, 08:34 PM
What outrageous premiums? Stay away from the tickets and your insurance will not be affected. Are you speaking of 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 year olds? Nothing wrong with charging them up the ass, for most of them will cause at least 1 accident during these years.

In general, I agree with what most of you have said but aging is not kind. I bet you that most of these seniors have no idea that what they are doing are even potentially harmful to other motorists on the road.

I have been driving for 4.5 years, and 3 of those years were driving a big truck around everyday up to 16 hours a day, and I have an absolutely clean driving record. I have taken drivers ed and defensive driving and I am paying $237/month for PL/PD, theft and fire with NO COLLISION. That is outrageous! And I am paying the cheapest out of any of my friends..... their insurance ranges from $3000 to $15000 per year.

I know girls and old folks who are horrible drivers paying less than $100/month for insurance...... I know what you are saying about the old people not realizing what is happening but that is no excuse.

I also think your comment about most 16-20 year old drivers causing an accident is a bit of a generalization. Of course you only hear about the accidents and how the news and other media sources glorify young male drivers, but you never hear about the good ones. There are always bad apples that spoil it for the rest and I do understand that that is why we are charged so much.

I personally think that young male drivers should be given a chance before they are charged ridiculous premiums. There are insurance companies in California that give young drivers a chance before they jack the premiums.

max_boost
05-27-2003, 08:41 PM

I have been driving for 4.5 years, and 3 of those years were driving a big truck around everyday up to 16 hours a day, and I have an absolutely clean driving record. I have taken drivers ed and defensive driving and I am paying $237/month for PL/PD, theft and fire with NO COLLISION. That is outrageous! And I am paying the cheapest out of any of my friends..... their insurance ranges from $3000 to $15000 per year.

I know girls and old folks who are horrible drivers paying less than $100/month for insurance...... I know what you are saying about the old people not realizing what is happening but that is no excuse.

I also think your comment about most 16-20 year old drivers causing an accident is a bit of a generalization. Of course you only hear about the accidents and how the news and other media sources glorify young male drivers, but you never hear about the good ones. There are always bad apples that spoil it for the rest and I do understand that that is why we are charged so much.

I personally think that young male drivers should be given a chance before they are charged ridiculous premiums. There are insurance companies in California that give young drivers a chance before they jack the premiums.

You need to find another insurance company, I'm paying $200/month on my S2K and I have full coverage and it'll be going down even more and I am only 21.

Generalization? Perhaps I am ignoring those who drive their parents car once or twice a week. Why are insurance premiums so high for those between 16-21? Statistics don't lie.

max_boost
05-27-2003, 08:43 PM
You know what is funny? It is usually those who complain about women and senior drivers that get into an accident first! You are not responsible for the actions of others on the road but you are accountable for yourself. If a situation is avoidable, by all means, avoid it!

SilverRex
05-27-2003, 08:52 PM

You need to find another insurance company, I'm paying $200/month on my S2K and I have full coverage and it'll be going down even more and I am only 21.

Generalization? Perhaps I am ignoring those who drive their parents car once or twice a week. Why are insurance premiums so high for those between 16-21? Statistics don't lie.

are you serious? 200/month? I pay 211 a month and thats discounted because I work for a big company. you must have a clean driving record.

Let me see, I guess your madskillz fall into the catagory of avoiding bad drivers.

max_boost
05-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex

are you serious? 200/month? I pay 211 a month and thats discounted because I work for a big company. you must have a clean driving record.

Let me see, I guess your madskillz fall into the catagory of avoiding bad drivers.

My record is relatively clean, no accidents in five, no tickets in four but that does not mean I haven't been in trouble before. I almost got cut by Allstate four years ago. Anyway, I just avoid rush hour traffic. I schedule my entire life around those hours! haha

SilverRex
05-27-2003, 09:26 PM

My record is relatively clean, no accidents in five, no tickets in four but that does not mean I haven't been in trouble before. I almost got cut by Allstate four years ago. Anyway, I just avoid rush hour traffic. I schedule my entire life around those hours! haha

no wonder I hardly see you around.. lol

max_boost
05-27-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex

no wonder I hardly see you around.. lol :rofl: That is ironic considering I go out everyday!!! haha

cipher
05-27-2003, 10:14 PM
whose your insurance co.? im payin four grand a year, cuz im 17. im considering changing insurance companys.

AccordTypeR
05-27-2003, 10:21 PM

I agree with you all for sure....

I dont deny that I am agressive behind the whell, but I am responsible, alert and defensive.

exactly.. old people cant park, a while ago this old lady she must ahve been 90 was trying to park, she ended up in a bush:D

CRXguy
05-27-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by cipher
whose your insurance co.? im payin four grand a year, cuz im 17. im considering changing insurance companys.

it doesn't matter. you're 17, and you drive a "sports car", a 2 seater at that, so prepare to bend over until your 21.

i pay $1500/yr for my crx, just PLPD, 22, and i have a shitty record. when i first got insurance 2 years ago and had a clean record, i was paying $2700/yr. :eek:

AccordTypeR
05-27-2003, 10:39 PM
im gonna get raped by insurance.. 17 yr old male soon to be drivin a 240sx i think im lookin at 4000 a year or so :(

4DoorGTZ
05-27-2003, 11:25 PM
Mine is pretty cheap... just FYI

$100/month liability only, been driving for 6 years, no accidents 2 speeding tickets.

88CRX
05-27-2003, 11:53 PM

Most will cause an accident but not all...... its bull how they charge people like me (19 years old with a perfect record) up the the ass when I am a better driver then half the people on the road. They dont even give us a chance to see if we are good drivers or not :thumbsdow

sin
05-28-2003, 10:17 AM
ya we should have a one month evaluation period

lammer
05-28-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by sin
ya we should have a one month evaluation period

then everyone will drive their best be kind and courteous and when that evaluation period is over they will go back to how they were driving.

SJC
05-28-2003, 07:48 PM
I think it's the privatized system that screwing ppl...

In BC, it's gov't insurance (ICBC) and each driver is individually rated - ie. You start at a base rate, each year you avoid getting in an accident you save 5% (up to 40% max), but if you get in an accident (that's your fault) you pay a 30% surcharge. So, if you drive safe for 6 years, then cause an accident, you're back to the base rate...

Speeding tickets work on a separate point system, (3 pts for avg ticket, 3 pts taken off per year - pay points when you renew insurance) but not directly tied to insurance rates.

Makes more sense to me...I've driven well for a few years, so my rate was $123/month with full coverage (collision, comprehensive, 2 mill. liab, theft, etc).

Also, ICBC is a non-profit org. (gov't owned) but they STILL made revenue with these rates (they ended up lowering rates further with the surplus), so I can only imagine the profits private companies here are collecting...

SJC

Doodle
05-28-2003, 07:59 PM
Shit you should move to sask. My impreza is 947 a year and my liscence is 25 beans. When I was 16 with 3 tickets my liscence shot up to a whopping 80 bucks, you guys got it hard.

GT2NV
05-28-2003, 08:44 PM
yeah im 18 with perfect record so far and for total coverage on my car its 7,146$ a year.. haha im so screwed thank god its only a summer car now.. factors contributing
-fastback
-2dr
-v6

pimpinb16z
05-28-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by cipher

me too, and all you guys are gonna be contradicting your words in this thread in the future, you all know your gonna be running 28 psi, on your old school civics when your 84, i am!!:clap: :burnout: :thumbsup:

generation2
05-28-2003, 11:06 PM
fuck them man, i got soooo pissed off when some dumb fossil was sleepin on deerfoot and rear ended my bros talon cuz he was at the lights turnin on to beddington and he saw some hag comin in the RVM but there was car in front of him and on his sides....so there was nothin he could do, they get free calgary transit and yet they still wanna be a risk on the roads!!!!!!

AccordTypeR
05-28-2003, 11:13 PM
ahahah once i saw this "old hag" stop at the light on southland and mcloud, she stoped to far forward so she puts the old buick skylark into reverse and backs up. so im sitting there watchin this happen i notice she hasent put the car back into gear either. meanwhile this big biker dude pulls up behind her in his ford arostar... the light turns green, and guess what happens the hag floors it right into the front of the biker guys van:rofl: he prolly gave her a heart attack:rofl:

missblondie
05-29-2003, 11:25 PM
when people turn 65 they should have to take a new drivers test.. and then one every 5 years after that.. just my opinion though

missblondie
05-29-2003, 11:25 PM
hope there are no old people on here that i offended...

ZMan2k2
05-30-2003, 11:59 AM
I say they should be tested every couple of years. I know that I say that when I'm driving and I see them doing something crazy. The last one I saw, was an old guy in a Buick Century, driving 30-40 through downtown. But you couldn't pass him, cause he kept floating over the lines, in and out of his own lane. This is going east on 4th Ave, headed to Bow Trail, and there are people honking and just pissed cause we're all stuck behind him. Once on Bow, I finally got passed him, and he could barely see over the wheel. How does he keep driving??:thumbsdow