PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing salvaged cars

nagooro
02-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Would you guys ever think about getting a salvaged car thats passed a safety test, and looks/performs very well?

FungusMonkey
02-21-2007, 01:11 AM
I have, just repaired it to make it road worthy again. And then got the special inspection to take the salvage title off of it. Worth it if you find good deals without too much repair to be done.

nagooro
02-21-2007, 01:46 AM
I've been looking at a car the past week that I wouldn't mind purchasing. Interior is in perfect condition, exterior as well except for a minor dent I noticed. I checked the carfax on it, and it was in an accident about a year ago, since then, it was safety inspected and by the looks of it, seems to be running fine.
Just not sure if it will give me a lot of problems down the road, compared to a different used car that hasn't been in any accidents.

Isaiah
02-21-2007, 02:08 AM
I would say that an accident would probably not give you that many problems down the line as long as it is repaired properly to the point where you can it inspected to have the salvage title removed.

Flood damage, however, is a different story. I would recommend against ever picking up a flood damage salvage.

freshprince
02-21-2007, 01:04 PM
or you can buy my focus ofr $6800. tee he he

gofastmerc
02-21-2007, 01:30 PM
If its fixed right, no problem.

I would look a lot closer at a car that was fixed, just so it could be sold. Not saying there is something wrong with it, but I would look very close.

sr20dets13
02-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by FungusMonkey
I have, just repaired it to make it road worthy again. And then got the special inspection to take the salvage title off of it. Worth it if you find good deals without too much repair to be done.
Do you have any idea what exactly needs to be done..like main things? im working on a salvadged car now and the rad support was bent in..i didnt replace it just bent it back to look normal again..the body lines almost match up good..is that the most important thing? sorry didnt mean to thread jack!

Sharpie
02-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by sr20dets13

Do you have any idea what exactly needs to be done..like main things? im working on a salvadged car now and the rad support was bent in..i didnt replace it just bent it back to look normal again..the body lines almost match up good..is that the most important thing? sorry didnt mean to thread jack!

Your best bet if the rad support was major fucked just buya used one and weld it in. Also there isn't any 'main' things that need to be done, it just all depends on how badly it is damaged.

bmeier
02-21-2007, 01:50 PM
the inspectors are very anal... you wont get away with bending the rad support back... they check everything... I had a car fail because the muffler was rusted. Unless you know someone who is going to "inspect" it for you.

and yes i would buy a salvage car if your not worried about resale they are very strict about passing cars.

sr20dets13
02-21-2007, 01:55 PM
well the one corner is bent..and i just herd its a bitch to cut out so we bent it back...but i guess replacing it is the best bet hey? its a 240sx..it looks fine and drives fine now...but if you look at the rad support you can kinda tell its bin messed with.

gofastmerc
02-21-2007, 01:58 PM
If you can fix it properly, that is the best way. You can't just cut out and weld something just because it has a dent in it. Well, you can, but you know what I mean... That tends to cause more damage. And is lot more noticeble than a repaired rad support.

nagooro
02-21-2007, 01:59 PM
So to insure and drive a salvaged car does it HAVE to be safety inspected and pass?
The current owner has been driving it around I believe, on the carfax I think it still has a salvaged title, not 100% though.
In the carfax it says,

SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED
Registered as
personal vehicle
Registered as commercial vehicle

For the date it is "Not reported"

Source:
Ontario
Ministry of Transportation
Greater Toronto Area

Sharpie
02-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by sr20dets13
well the one corner is bent..and i just herd its a bitch to cut out so we bent it back...but i guess replacing it is the best bet hey? its a 240sx..it looks fine and drives fine now...but if you look at the rad support you can kinda tell its bin messed with.
If everything else is fixed just take it and try and get it passed, if it doesn't pass because of that then go to plan B.

sr20dets13
02-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie

If everything else is fixed just take it and try and get it passed, if it doesn't pass because of that then go to plan B.

yea thought about it..but arent inspections like 300 sumthing?..all i know is that they are pricey..and i couldtn afford to get it inspected..fail..and pay again lol(edited: would pics help?)

takemtochurch
02-24-2007, 11:10 PM
nope i would never buy one. KILLS the resale. you better be paying 1/4 the price. and you cant just "get the title taken off". they give it a rebuilt title, which states it was once a salvaged car, it will never have a clean title

bbcustoms
02-24-2007, 11:31 PM
I have bought a lot over the years
2 bikes and 4 cars and trucks all which were salvage or rebuilt
Never had an accident related problem with any of them and the prices are a fair bit cheaper

3G
02-25-2007, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by bmeier
the inspectors are very anal... you wont get away with bending the rad support back... they check everything... I had a car fail because the muffler was rusted. Unless you know someone who is going to "inspect" it for you.

and yes i would buy a salvage car if your not worried about resale they are very strict about passing cars.

:werd: my old prelude was written off, everything was repaired to spec, then almost failed my inspection cuz the tail light had a small crack in it, if i never told the SOB i had another tail light at home about to go in, i woulda failed it..

It all depends on the car and how bad it was damaged