PDA

View Full Version : Live at the news?? anygood.

RawB8figure
02-21-2007, 02:10 AM
Anyone own one of these or know anything about them, they seem like a good price for what you get, maybe I am missing something.

http://www.liveatnews.com/

sl888
02-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Yeah saw the same thing. On the intro it says it was used back during our Winter Olympic to house the international press. Its just been updated. Looks pretty nice though and has a great view. I have driven down that road once or twice and I believe its those condos with the overlapping design as Sarcee starts to slope.

Strider
02-21-2007, 04:53 PM
I was just up there last weekend visiting the sales center and show suite.

Yes, it is the olympic condos on the slope. All of the suites have been or are being renovated... You do get quite a bit for the money, and the condo fees seem very reasonable, considering there's underground parking, a swimming pool, and tennis court. Granite countertops and cork flooring come standard in the kitchens...

From what the sales person told me, the boilers have been replaced, and the roofs have been redone... piping and windows are on a case-by-case basis.

The locations seems great as well.

The downsides (for me) were:

The building is wood frame construction... which doesn't insulate noise as well, and isn't as robust as concrete;

Windows, radiant heaters, and other items being replaced on a "case by case basis"... look closely at the show suites... in some of them, the window sills show cracks, and some others have a really ugly bead of white silicone. Some of the heaters hadn't been refurbished at all... If they skimped out on the show suites, what do you think the quality will be like for the rest of the suites?

No option to upgrade carpet in dining areas to hardwood or tile. (not to mention some of the suites have hella ugly carpet)

That being said... it's hard to find that kind of sq footage and location for the price they're going for ... definitely worth considering

GDCivicSi
02-22-2007, 12:47 AM
How much are they approx. going for? There's no pricing on their website.

Isaiah
02-22-2007, 12:56 AM
My friend used to rent there before this company bought the development. This was about 5-6 years ago and the entire complex was literally falling apart. Leaking roofs, rotting walls, the whole bit. Maybe they've renovated but I would highly recommend a thorough inspection before investing any serious amount of money.

Most people assume that because it's a well marketed 'renovated development'.

Just make sure you do your homework.

CRXguy
02-22-2007, 09:09 AM
When I was looking last summer, a 2 storey loft was going for $329k I think. It was nice, but I wasn't so sure about the whole renovated development thing.

Kritafo
02-22-2007, 09:40 AM
I lived there in 89 when I first lived in Calgary, they were very nice units. They were unbearable hot in the summer with the tilted windows. I loved the view everyday, everynight. The summers on the patio, were fantastic! Played tennis everyday. But I have to admit that the windows,... they have always been an issue. We were lucky to be in a unit that had no problems. In the summer sometimes the coyotes would get into the underground parking!

izzoblitzo
02-22-2007, 07:53 PM
I looked at this project last summer, and from the ads in the newspaper, and also the website, I was drawn to it for it's location and promotional material.

When I got there, I was very dissapointed. For a show home, the interior was very bad... they didnt spend very much effort to "wow" you at all. The finishing was very "cheap" feeling. You can tell the building is outdated from the baseboard heaters... the windows were HORRIBLE.. the show units showed evidence that they leaked recently.

It has a fantastic view, but I cant imagine in a couple years when all sorts of things need to be replaced...

The parkade was leaking, there was a pipe on the ceiling that was leaking, and had a towel wrapped around it.

The complex was built in the 1980's for the Olympic Games as TEMPORARY accomodations for international news media.. I cant imagine how they can be turning them into permanent homes without major upgrades.

I remember seeing maintenance crews working on those buildings every so often when I drove by (I used to live in the area)

there were at least 10 listings in that project on the MLS site this past summer/fall... almost all at the same time too.