PDA

View Full Version : So this guy approached me with a career opportunity....

sl888
02-21-2007, 03:19 AM
This guy approached me at the mall with this opportunity. Had the feeling it was a scam. Talked a bit and it was like an interview (strengths, weaknesses, goals).
Said he could "help" me and that I was someone they were looking for. I could start to make $2000-5000 a month. After a year I could be making about $150,000.
What's great is that he won't tell me much about it. Just that it has something to do with e-commerce. What's even better is that he told me I should wear a suit and go to this briefing at the UofC.
So just wondering what this is really about??

AzN'SKillZ
02-21-2007, 03:29 AM
probly is a scam!
if i had the time for it i would check it out, but dont give them anymoney!

blinkme_210
02-21-2007, 03:33 AM
No such thing as making easy money; lotteries don't count.

pyar__deewane
02-21-2007, 03:35 AM
if the guy appoaches u in a mall its def. a scam

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163161

Talies R
02-21-2007, 04:21 AM
yep that link above sums it up nicely. "career opportunity"...LOL

japancar
02-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Most likely its a Multi-Level Marketing business. The people who tell you about it don't tell you much, but give you vague explainations and hit all the right buttons to get you interested, ie: make lots of money, not much work, work from home, make your own hours, etc.

The next step is for you to go to a presentation and there it is explained to you what the "selling" is all about. Of course, they give a long talk ahead of time to get you warmed up by describing "dead-end jobs" that most people have, or get you to dream about your ideal future. Then, bam....they hit you with the realty...you have to sell stuff to your friends and family.

But, go to the meeting, and enjoy the experience. Don't sign anything, and don't get pressured. If they pressure you, tell them you'd like to think about it. They'll then pretty much ignore you, or give you some shpeel about "sign up today" to benefit from blah, blah blah. Watch their interest in you quickly fall when you say "I'll think about it".

khtm
02-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Run, run as fast as you can.

Kona9
02-21-2007, 09:15 AM
If you feel odd about it now, what makes you think they will get your positive attention later?

If someone wants you to work for them and state you will make good money legitimately, you will WORK for it!

End of story.

Lo)2enz0
02-21-2007, 09:18 AM
i get those guys all the time since i work in the mall. you would be suprised what some people try to sell you/job offers. I got a few business cards once, called it and they said no one like that worked there. something like that.

Oh well never trust those guys

Moonracer
02-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Probly Amway! :thumbsdow

Thaco
02-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Quixtar

AdamSarkozi
02-21-2007, 09:39 AM
i had the same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago, you sign up and then the stuff you sell to your freinds and fam , they make a profit off of, ever heard of amway?

topmade
02-21-2007, 09:44 AM
For some reason I get these guys all the time and it's so annoying, but we will always meet up with them anyways because my wife likes to try to sell her beauty cream products and usually does haha.

B20EF
02-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
Quixtar

Exactly the company i was thinking of, selling knock-off products to family and friends. Pretty much a pyramid scam

nos_efx
02-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Young guy came up to me at Chinook with the same deal..... i find it kind of funny lol.

slick2404
02-21-2007, 04:36 PM
haha. if you do end up goin just give a fake ph# and name, leave after you realize how useless it is....in case they try to contact you...just tell em to call you

SoSlowDx
02-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Have you guys heard of FHTM, Future High Tech Marketing? My friend was trying to do the same thing to me. :dunno: :nut:

Exactly what the above posters said, he vaguely explained shit to me and that I'll make huge amounts of money and that I should go to an "interview" not "seminar".

Supa Dexta
02-21-2007, 06:13 PM
thats when you answer back quickly "I make more then that now"

Ven
02-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Quixtar for sure.

Mikey_008
02-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Pyramid sceam!

HuMz
02-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Mikey_008
Pyramid sceam!

I was just gonna say the same thing,

the only way your gonna make money (if any at all), is by hassling people the same way he is everywhere you go to get them to sign up.

Shaad
02-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Quixtar also formally known as amway. I buy for personal use from quixtar, you dont need to sell or get people to join. Most of there stuff is more expensive then stores anyway, and your not gonna make money at it. but theres a small selection of cheaper stuff mainly food, its about the only thing. Sometimes its hard to even admit I use their stuff becuase of the creepy annoying ones that just try to sell the way they do. If he is not even gonna tell you the company or what it is, I wouldnt even entertain the idea.

sl888
02-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by japancar

The next step is for you to go to a presentation and there it is explained to you what the "selling" is all about. Of course, they give a long talk ahead of time to get you warmed up by describing "dead-end jobs" that most people have, or get you to dream about your ideal future. Then, bam....they hit you with the realty...you have to sell stuff to your friends and family.

But, go to the meeting, and enjoy the experience. Don't sign anything, and don't get pressured. If they pressure you, tell them you'd like to think about it. They'll then pretty much ignore you, or give you some shpeel about "sign up today" to benefit from blah, blah blah. Watch their interest in you quickly fall when you say "I'll think about it".

Uh go to the meeting for the experience?! I wasted 15 minutes of my life already. I don't think I can waste another 2 on a friday night. It was great the look he had on his face when I told him I wasn't gonna go.

TegLover
02-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Same exact thing happened to me, this guy names Darryl introduced me to this great opportunity and said he was some sort of consultant that can make me money.

He then revealed he sold energy drinks (xs energy). I have a few friends that are in this pyramid scam and tried to get me to join and buy their shit, fucking annoying. Anyways I knew exactly what this was about but at the time and his convincing i was a little interested so i left him my number. I did some research and said fuck this, so when he called me back i said no, not interested and now he does not stop calling after i tell him to NO like 10 times, i guess i HAVE to be rude and say FUCK OFF before he gets it. I'll give him a 2 weeks he'll call again haha

So don't even give them your number, these guys are annoying. Don't know if that Quixtar sells the XS energy drink or not, probably do.

TegLover
02-21-2007, 08:43 PM
ohhh NOES what do you know:

http://www.quixtar.com/products/thumbnail.aspx?pid=3102

LMAO

Shaad
02-21-2007, 09:00 PM
hehe a guy gave me a bunch of those before and thier energy bars too. tastes horrable and can't be good for you.

and yeah they tend to phone all the time trying to get you to go to presentations and conventions and help you with your "own business" They dont bother anymore, they knows its no use. I only want the organic foods they sell and thier soap and household thingys.

timsthetim
02-21-2007, 09:05 PM
as good as they make it sound it will probably be a scam which works for 0.001% of the people who try it and rip thousands of other people off. It'll seem a little sketchy, but hey "it's legal". Figure out wether you car about having friends because they'll try to convince you to talk to anyone within 1 meter about it, then everyone will start to avoid you, and about a month after it probably doesn't work you'll feel like a jackass.
take it from me, I know, that's what happened to me.
If it is called excel, or is involved with a sector which has recently become privatized, run like hell.

Team Emperor
02-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Same thing happened to me that a Chapters once:thumbsdow

Audio_Rookie
02-21-2007, 09:20 PM
stay away.

If you wanna make money, learn the stock market or forex and invest.

silva27
02-25-2007, 02:00 AM
Any of you guys heard of a nutritional company called "USANA"? One of my friend is working it and so far its been 6 months and I havent seen him buy anything new and now hes trying to recruit my gf into it.

I told her if hes not making any money then dont bother wasting your time selling multivitamins.

mo_money2supe
02-25-2007, 02:27 AM
Just ask them how much they make, and whatever they say, just tell them you make more. Also tell them that you actually WORK for your money, and the 5 minutes or so you talked to them, tell them you could've made more at your REAL JOB than anything he could do in that short amount of time. In reality, it's likely true!

I had my "interview" with Quixtar years ago, and I even went to their "seminar" as well. Had a good laugh, but that was about it. Definitely wasn't worth my 2+ hours.

OR, better yet, find the National number for Quixtar, and give that to them. When they try to call and look for you, they'll definitely feel like a complete tool!

R!zz0
02-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Prolly some Amway shit. Someone once came up to me and started talking about how much money i can make. I lied to him and told him that i was a lawyer and he just walked away without saying another word. No such thing as making "Easy money" blinkme_210 is right about that.

Graham_A_M
02-25-2007, 03:36 PM
its definately some MLM business, they're always very shaddy about what it is exactly, at the get-go.
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163629
read my post second from the bottom, I think that sums it up very well.
They always prey on the young & impressionable, with big dreams, so where else as far as young guys that fit that bill (for the most part, as a higher average) other then the Uof C, or Sait, or MRC? The malls are very commonplace too. :thumbsup: