PDA

View Full Version : What not to do at a Career Fair

sexualbanana
02-21-2007, 11:31 PM
I was at the U of C Career Fair 2 weeks ago when the stupidest thing happened.

I was talking to a student about my company and what we do, when a guy standing behind her interrupts rudely with, "What the hell is TrojanOne?"

At first I thought I was imagining things, but after seeing the face of the HR person for Critical Mass, who's booth was right beside mine, I realized that this is in fact happening. "Excuse me?" I said

"What the hell is 'Integrated Brand Activation?'" He replies.

I'm offended. This is certainly not the way to speak to a stranger, it certainly isn't a way you want to speak to a recruiter. I give him a short explanation of what that means in hopes that he would realize it's not for him and go away.

"Why didn't you just say that?" He says.

"Because it sounds impressive. Admit it, you're impressed." I reply. Trying very hard to keep a smile on my face and to not punch him in the face.

"No. I'm just confused."

"But you're IMPRESSIVELY confused, right?" Again, just smiling and biting the bullet.

"I'd be more impressed if you gave me one of your pens." He says.

At this point, I just want to get him away from my booth so I can continue talking to the student I was originally talking to, so I give him my pen. THEN, he disses the pen! Again, I'm trying very hard not to hit him knowing that that is not the way I should be behaving while I'm representing my agency, but it is getting exceedingly more difficult to restrain myself.

He takes a few more parting shots, and then walks away.

More of the story: You might think you're being cute or showing off your brilliance by contesting a company's work, when you are in fact offending them and leaving a very negative impression. And if someone gives you a gift, smile and say 'thanks' regardless of how shitty the pen may actually be.

TC2002
02-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Good for you for maintaining your own dignified stance. Was he a first year looking for a way to skimp out on buying his own pens? :rolleyes:

slick2404
02-22-2007, 12:10 AM
way to keep your cool man....uni's full of guys who think they know eveything inside out. hopefully you found some potenital recruits though

msommers
02-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Wow, on behalf of the U of C, I'd like to apologize for idiots like this. These career fairs are interesting but are so heavily orientated to the O/G business it leaves no room for anything else is seems.

Way to hold your ground man. I'm sure as a business owner you've run into idiots on more than one occasion.

cressida_pimpin
02-22-2007, 01:14 AM
Props man for keeping your cool. I can only imagine how bad you wanted to knock that guy out

Whitetiger
02-22-2007, 01:38 AM
:thumbsup: good job for knowing what to do and say. Maybe you should had taken his resume... and THEN plaster it on Beyond, I'm sure someone will be able to make fun of it somehow.

"McDonald's, were you the kid cleaning the grease trap, or just mobbing the floors?"

sexualbanana
02-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Wow, on behalf of the U of C, I'd like to apologize for idiots like this. These career fairs are interesting but are so heavily orientated to the O/G business it leaves no room for anything else is seems.

Way to hold your ground man. I'm sure as a business owner you've run into idiots on more than one occasion.

It's not MY agency. I just did the recruiting. But thanks, I'm sure he's the first in a long line of idiots.

thrasher22
02-22-2007, 10:04 PM
All that education and he'll still never get a job :nut: