PDA

View Full Version : Canon's EOS-1D Mark III DSLR with live LCD

Ferio_vti
02-22-2007, 11:49 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/21/canons-eos-1d-mark-iii-dslr-with-live-lcd/

BerserkerCatSplat
02-22-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm not entirely convinced how useful a live LCD would be. The only time I'd use it is for the Remote View feature when you've remotely firing the camera. I also have to wonder how badly that would affect battery life, as it would expose the sensor over and over again to get the "live" image.

Other than that, it looks like yet another solid camera from Canon. I can't wait to for Nikon's response, we'll probably see that in March.

Edit for more pics:

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/fr/news-13339-Canon%3A+EOS1D+Mark+III.html

smc
02-22-2007, 01:13 PM
The live LCD doesn’t allow autofocus, so it would only really be useful for macro photography. Also in my experience it is difficult to critically judge focus sharpness on a typical dslr lcd.

The increased dynamic range and iso performance look like more valuable features.

I'd have prefered it to have been a full frame sensor.

D'z Nutz
02-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Good to see they didn't put that stupid dust thing in it!

BerserkerCatSplat
02-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by smc

The increased dynamic range and iso performance look like more valuable features.

I'd have prefered it to have been a full frame sensor.

I totally agree on the DR/ISO points. We'll see how it performs at ISO 6400, but I'm not expecting much. But if anyone can do a low-noise 6400, it's Canon.

As far as FF goes, the 1D has always used an APS-H 1.3 crop sensor, I see no need to go FF for the sake of FF. This camera is intended for sports shooters, where most shooting is done in the 100-500mm range, so FF is of no real benefit.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Good to see they didn't put that stupid dust thing in it!

...I've got some bad news for you. They did.

http://images.akihabaranews.com/news_pics/13339/EOS1D_Mark_III_9.jpg
(from the pictures link I posted. The Canon release also states it'll have the sensor shaker.)

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=14999

EG STyLeZ
02-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
I also have to wonder how badly that would affect battery life, as it would expose the sensor over and over again to get the "live" image.

If Canon uses the same idea that Olympus did in their E-330 Evolt, then they'd have a much smaller secondary CCD dedicated for the Live LCD view function. It would still drain the battery a lot faster, though.

Something like this:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse330/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusE330/Images/liveview01.gif

AccentAE86
02-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Wow, what an offering. I think it's amazing what they've done. I was thinking it would be tough to improve on it and they did. I'm actually not a fan of the 10mp (I think 8 is MORE than enough personally) or the dust shake crap, but everything else is awesome.

And gosh, I am so jealous of the 580EX II. I LOVE auto flashes and always wished they had this. This allows you to use the flash is just about ANY camera. It wouldn't happen to have an optical slave trigger sensor built-in would it? Then I would get one for sure.

Ferio_vti
02-22-2007, 05:10 PM

As far as FF goes, the 1D has always used an APS-H 1.3 crop sensor, I see no need to go FF for the sake of FF. This camera is intended for sports shooters, where most shooting is done in the 100-500mm range, so FF is of no real benefit.

That said, why the hell did they bother featuring live view?? Live view is feature for anyone that doesn't appreciate a real view finder and enjoys looking like a zombie staring at the back of a camera and squinting in the bright sunlight.
Not to say live is bad (ie the Evolt has an underwater body that works well with Live view), but it just not need for a pro body here.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

That said, why the hell did they bother featuring live view?? Live view is feature for anyone that doesn't appreciate a real view finder and enjoys looking like a zombie staring at the back of a camera and squinting in the bright sunlight.
Not to say live is bad (ie the Evolt has an underwater body that works well with Live view), but it just not need for a pro body here.

I'm unsure about how it would be useful on the camera's LCD for anything other than manual focusing (being able to zoom in and check focus), but I think the real benefit here is that if you have the camera in a remote location and you're remotely firing it via your computer, then you can have the Live View image broadcast to your computer to get an almost-realtime view through the lens. How well would that work? Only time will tell. It's a very good idea for sports/nature photogs that use their cameras remotely in trees or at finish lines, with preset focus, but for 99.9% of photographers it's useless. That being said, the pro market is all about catering to the 0.1% who do use all those features, and are willing to pay the price.

Personally, I think they should have left out the cleaning system (gimmick) altogether. I also thought 8MP and 12fps would have been more ideal for sports shooters than the 10/10 combination they have going, but perhaps 10fps was as quick as they could get information off the sensor.

EG STyLeZ:

I initially thought it would be a two-sensor system like the Evolt, but from looking at the 1DmkIII's internals, it seems to lack the secondary mirror the Evolt uses:

http://images.akihabaranews.com/news_pics/13339/EOS1D_Mark_III_8.jpg

It's possible they just left the relevant parts off the display, though.

AccentAE86: What's the big deal about the 580EXII? Did it not have A/AA mode or a PC socket before?

AccentAE86
02-22-2007, 11:55 PM
AccentAE86: What's the big deal about the 580EXII? Did it not have A/AA mode or a PC socket before? [/B]

No, it doesn't have a PC socket. And there is no Auto mode, just TTL varieties and Manual flash power. With auto, I can easily use it on my 30 year old film cameras no problem, or heck, any other hotshoe camera in existance. I don't believe any EX flashes have an auto mode.

muse017
02-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Canon's EOS-1D Mark III's Shutter sound file...
Pretty amazing...:drool:

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=canon_d30_forum&page=2&sn1=&sid1=&divpage=124&sn=off&sid=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=667141

BerserkerCatSplat
02-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by AccentAE86

No, it doesn't have a PC socket. And there is no Auto mode, just TTL varieties and Manual flash power. With auto, I can easily use it on my 30 year old film cameras no problem, or heck, any other hotshoe camera in existance. I don't believe any EX flashes have an auto mode.

Ah, I see. I guess I assumed that the top-end Canon flash would have the same features as my SB-800.

turboMiata
02-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by AccentAE86

i'd interested to know where you heard that the 580EX II can work with the older cameras in auto mode?

BerserkerCatSplat
02-24-2007, 01:18 AM
Canon press release, as quoted on The Strobist:

The popular Speedlite 580EX Flash is being replaced by the new Speedlite 580EX II Flash, which features a host of improvements, including a metal hot shoe with an improved locking mechanism for added durability, an external metering sensor for non-TTL automatic flash exposure control and a PC socket for use with non-dedicated slave triggers.

You can see the sensor in the Canon product image:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_Bf48JKOl5HQ/Rd0ulI4f1MI/AAAAAAAAAA4/UwqvlzdhVZ4/s400/canonflash.jpg

I always kinda wondered what that sensor was on my SB-800, now I know.

Mitsu3000gt
02-25-2007, 02:10 AM
That camera looks pretty sweet, do you have to use a giant bottom mount battery with it? I personally don't like that, but I guess it gives huge battery life and probably a nice feel. Also I love the idea of wireless file transfer to a storage device ( I don't know if thats anything new or not)

What I want is a Nikon D300, ideally with ~12MP, 1.5crop with perhaps a 2.0X crop option, 5-8FPS shooting, 2.5 or 3" LCD, maybe a couple extra focus points, and the obvious weather sealing and magnesium body. I personally love the crop factor - maybe less so if I was a hardcore landscape photographer but 99% of the time I find I'm looking for more zoom. That and a price tag around $2000 they would probably sell every one they could make but maybe my expectations are too high for that price :dunno: Just thinking out loud.

muse017
02-25-2007, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
do you have to use a giant bottom mount battery with it?

Yes, cause its not sepertable.;)

Mitsu3000gt
02-25-2007, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by muse017

Yes, cause its not sepertable.;)

Haha I see. Ok thanks.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-25-2007, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I personally don't like that, but I guess it gives huge battery life and probably a nice feel. Also I love the idea of wireless file transfer to a storage device ( I don't know if thats anything new or not)

The larger chassis is bulky, but that added mass balances out heavier lenses quite nicely.

Wireless file transfer is nothing new, I know Nikon's had it since the D2H at least, not sure about Canon. What's new is how the MkIII uses it.

Mitsu3000gt
02-26-2007, 09:47 AM
I listened to that sound file of 10fps and that is disgusting haha. It is like a movie camera. Can the AF motor keep up to refocusing 10 times a second if your shooting a moving subject? If so that is extremely impressive. I wonder what Nikon's answer to this will be. Everyone was expecting the Canon 30D and then this shows up, who knows that will be next!

turboMiata
02-26-2007, 09:53 PM
I always kinda wondered what that sensor was on my SB-800, now I know.

Do you know know if the camera can send focal length and focus distance information to the flash? Still not sold on this sensor idea.