PDA

View Full Version : New CF hood already cracking=(

sr20dets13
02-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Well i just recently purchased a VIS CF hood for my 240sx from speedtech...after like 2 weeks i looked at the hood and right at the front thers a bunch of hairline cracks in it..i really dont think its from rock chips..becuase there are no chips..its just cracking..when i close my hood i never slam it shut or anything lol just shut it nicely...ive bin watching it more and more and it seems to just get worse..the cracks are just getting bigger...is there anything i should or even can do about this?..kinda pisses me off that i buy a 600 dollar hood and its alredy screwd..i know people who have baught VIS hoods and had them on all year round with no cracks..so this really bothers me..well anyone got any ideas on what i should do?:dunno:

Super_Geo
02-22-2007, 01:07 PM
PM riceeater... he might be able to repair it, he does a lot of stuff with CF.

riceeater
02-22-2007, 01:09 PM
How wide is the hood, and are the cracks on the surface or on the back side?

If speedtech doesnt take it back, PM me and i might be able to fix the hood for you... depending on where the cracks are and how bad, i can reinforce the backside of the hood with more fiberglass and then sand the topside, and wrap another layer of carbon on it, and then re-finish it so it looks new ...

the only downside is that the cf i have is only 50" wide, so measure your hood first if you're interested in this, and see if i can even help you... i can order 60" wide fabric, but it's an ass raping $120+/yard because it's special order :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

riceeater
02-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
PM riceeater... he might be able to repair it, he does a lot of stuff with CF.

haha, good timing :nut:

sr20dets13
02-22-2007, 01:13 PM
holy shit...well i dunno im gona go to speedtech i guess..i really doubt they will take it back..i dotn even know if i have the receipt still but i just recently purchased it..ill get some pics of the cracks..theyre really small like if i wash the car...you cant notice it but when dirt or dust gets on it they become noticeable its weird..as for repairing..i might just sell the damn thing and buy another hood..i dont wanna pay more money and fix it then have it do it again or sumthin i dunno:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

riceeater
02-22-2007, 01:24 PM
are you sure then that they're not just scratches then? can you tell if they reach all the way down to the weave? if they havent, you might be able to get away with sanding the hood , and having it re-clearcoated

sr20dets13
02-22-2007, 01:27 PM
ill get you pictures asap..thanks for the help!

EnRich
02-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Get pics ASAP, and ask em if you can take it back. I was going to be buying a CF hood from them next week, if there's problems let me know ASAP please.

sr20dets13
02-22-2007, 04:42 PM
I dont have a digital camera at the moment but will try to find one...i guess i can take shitty phone pics and see if they work..and yea im gonna call them tomorow and see if they can do anything about it.

ls/vtec-crx
03-01-2007, 05:50 PM
who installed the hood? where are the hair line cracks? if they are near the front of the hood, and the lines are going from one side of the hood to the other, sounds to me like the rubber stoppers under the hood were not adjusted! which means that there was too much stress on the hood when it was latched closed. Bring it by and i will be able to let you know if it is a defect or something was not adjusted properly. And as for your receipt i would definately have it on file.

Allan

sr20dets13
03-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Oh really?..ok well sweet good to know..and i know its not from mounting the hood..teh cracks are right where the very front of the hood meets the bumper..not where the rubber stoppers are closer to the lights..and the crack dosent go from one side to another..there are several hairline cracks neer the front and more just keep apearing ..i will try to swing by on the weekend because i work all week..thanks allot for you help, greatly apreciated:thumbsup:

ls/vtec-crx
03-01-2007, 06:52 PM
no problem....i'm in on saturday 11am-5pm

Allan

sr20dets13
03-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Ok hopefully see you then! thanks again!:D

Sorath
03-01-2007, 06:54 PM
heres another question why u driving in the winter with a cf hood

sr20dets13
03-01-2007, 07:02 PM
CUZ IM A BALLA HOLLAAAAAA!
lollll jk because i got into an accident..stock hood was all bent..so i thought i myswell replace it with a CF hood..instead of getting an OEM hood and painting it....good enuff answer? lol

SpoonEK9@STRD
03-01-2007, 07:08 PM
normal, cracked my hood first day i installed and it keeps creeping to this day, i think im on year 5. when you push down at the end of the hood (what you think is closing it nicely, isnt). press down at the corners between the flip up head lights and spread hands as wide as possible.

you have to adjust the hood and latch accordingly...the damn latch it too stuff for the light carbon so you have to push it hard.

pinoyformula
03-01-2007, 10:07 PM
vis cf hood is only a cf film on top of fiberglass or metal (like a sticker) its not real cf. So is the hairline on the clear or right through the hood? Real cf cost an arm and a leg.

2EFNFAST
03-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Phone speedtech and ask them what to do about their product? :dunno:

pinoyformula
03-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Call speedtech and ask for a new sticker! LOL

03ozwhip
03-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by pinoyformula
vis cf hood is only a cf film on top of fiberglass or metal (like a sticker) its not real cf. So is the hairline on the clear or right through the hood? Real cf cost an arm and a leg.

what are you talking about?? ViS is one of the best REAL CF makers out there! a sticker?? pfffft...

ls/vtec-crx
03-02-2007, 11:18 AM

I AGREE WITH 03ozwhip!!! WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Do you even know how this stuff is made? Basically what you are saying is that VIS RACING, SEIBON, JSP, etc. make fake hoods and trunks. Get your facts straight! I don't wanna even get into depth with this one cause it's just pointless. :banghead:

Fado
03-02-2007, 11:30 AM

Call speedtech and ask for a new sticker! LOL

http://boards.cannabis.com/images/smilies/custom/wtf.gif

aypi
03-02-2007, 11:37 AM
i hope speedtech will help you with this coz i'm buying a VIS hood from them soon.. :dunno:

EnRich
03-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by aypi
i hope speedtech will help you with this coz i'm buying a VIS hood from them soon.. :dunno:

Hope so. I'm buying one from Allen too. met him at the WoW. I hope this doesnt happen with my stuff, cause I'm gonna spend $500 on 3Ming my CF

03ozwhip
03-02-2007, 11:58 AM
i spent 800 on my Evo hood for my Lancer from Speedtech and it was ViS and it was the best quality ive seen, i drove with it on through the winter and i did get a crack, but it was from a big ass rock by a semi on deerfoot. its not much the brand you buy when getting the hood, its where you drive your car and how you drive your car which determines its life.

SpoonEK9@STRD
03-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by aypi

You shouldn't have a problem

It's an issue with the vehicle(s13 240sx) and the weight of the hood, the carbon hood weighs like 5 times less then the relic hood. The hood latch is 15 years old, remove it and use hood pins as suggested.

ninjak84
03-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Not many people understand how to own and care for a CF hood.

I used to think it was simple until I saw how some of you treat your parts. I can remember going to an S13 meet a long time ago downtown, right after I got my own S13 cf hood (but before I installed it). There was another guy there showing his off, and he was trying to give me a tutorial on how to close it properly. Genius puts both hands (1 on top of the other) right in the center, and starts slamming it up and down over and over. 6th time it latches. You can clearly see the indent in the center of the hood from him doing this a thousand times. He tells me "ya, no CF hood ever fits or works as good as stock. you'll have to do this too".

Another reason why I don't go to any lame meets anymore

Never had problems with my s13 cf hood, and it wasn't even ViS quality

sr20dets13
03-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9

You shouldn't have a problem

It's an issue with the vehicle(s13 240sx) and the weight of the hood, the carbon hood weighs like 5 times less then the relic hood. The hood latch is 15 years old, remove it and use hood pins as suggested.

as suggested? lol i asked if i should buy hood pins for it..and who ever that braught out the hood for me..told me 99% of people that buy cf hoods..dont put pins on..so i went with his word because im guessing the guy knows allot more then me lol and i didnt buy them...would it have prevented it?..im just pissed cuz it feels like im blew 600 on a cracked up hood...i am gonna stop by to show you..unfortunatly i work tomorow..so i will try to make it out next sat..thanks!