PDA

View Full Version : Tubby Dog!

Euro838
02-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has tried this place? It's on 17 Ave S.W. by the blockbuster around 10th st or around there. Anyways, was there earlier this week and thought these are probably the best hot dogs I've ever had!!! I only had their Tubby Dawg and it was great! My buddy had their "Ultimate Gripper" (a lot of stuff topped off by ham and a fried egg) and it looked really good! Definitely can't grip that hot dog, have to eat it with a fork and knife if you don't want to be wearing it. These hot dogs are 1/3 lbs and do have a good kick to them. Their Tubby Dawg is topped with chili, cheese, and bacon (can't remember what else exactly).

I don't usually eat a lot of hot dogs, smokies, brats, etc but of all the places I've ever tried, this place is worth the trip. Also, the prices on these dawgs aren't cheap though, the Tubby is $5.50 and the Gripper is $8.50. I also had they onion rings and they are the size of a donut each!

The place isn't fancy but the people working are very nice. Anyways, just thought I see if anyone else has tried this place and if they had any thoughts about it.

sexualbanana
02-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Fantastic late night grub

pints
02-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Definetly good place to be after a few drinks. The T-rings are also awesome, like onion rings but with a kick.

kevie88
02-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Just don' do take out.. the dogs are awesome when warm but by the time you get home and eat it cold it's bloody awful haha

D'z Nutz
02-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Tubby's is fucken awesome. I attempted the Ultimate Gripper (aka: "The Sherm") a couple times but, being the lightweight I am, I couldn't do it (came close the last time though). The thing is a fucken heart attack wrapped in a bun: sausage wrapped in bacon and deep fried, with chilli, cheese, bacon bits, onion, mustard, and a fried egg.

I'm always tempted to try some of their unconventional hotdogs like the one with the Cap'n Crunch, but their Tubby Dog is too good to pass up.

The staff is very cool.

They have their hotdog eating contest every September, I think.

http://www.myspace.com/tubbydoghotdog

Canmorite
02-22-2007, 02:56 PM
I live across from that place, good food :thumbsup:

Hi-Psi
02-22-2007, 03:29 PM
*Edited for Dep*

Tubby Dog is good but I would never drink before going there because I have an image to uphold.

Jay

DepTrotter
02-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by CMSjay
I love that place!

I usually get cravings for them after getting blitzed, they're a lot better than conventional street meat outside of clubs and stuff.

I'll prolly end up there on Sat lol

Jay

Just a suggestion, if you are gonna represent CMS on the boards, you shouldnt be posting like a fucking goof ball.

R-Audi
02-22-2007, 03:39 PM
I went for the PB&J with Captin Crunch last time.. AWESOME!

core_upt
02-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by DepTrotter

Just a suggestion, if you are gonna represent CMS on the boards, you shouldnt be posting like a fucking goof ball.

:dunno: :dunno:
I'm not sure what that even means - there's nothing wrong with someone saying they'll have a few drinks and eat a hot dog. Is he supposed to be the king of England because his employer sponsors a website??

Anyway - Tubby Dog FTMFW

PS - your sig is awesome!

Hi-Psi
02-22-2007, 04:55 PM

Um, so becuase I work at CMS I can't post in other sections? So whta if I drink, I have seen many of the other vendors and many of our other CMS employees posting about drinking and the like. What I do outside of work has nothing to do with my professionalism when I am at work!

I treat everyone with respect and I expect the same

Jay

DepTrotter
02-22-2007, 05:05 PM
I never said anything about other sections... you can post where ever you want man. but seriously...you are representing a company.. you cant post like a delinquent, bragging about your off duty escapades... thats just logic

CMSJay

CMS = Contemporary Motorsports

Since you are representing this company with your name you should certainly represent everything the company stands for.

Euro838
02-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Apparently the unofficial record right for Grippers in a sitting is like 4 in 30 min.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Tubby's is fucken awesome. I attempted the Ultimate Gripper (aka: "The Sherm") a couple times but, being the lightweight I am, I couldn't do it (came close the last time though). The thing is a fucken heart attack wrapped in a bun: sausage wrapped in bacon and deep fried, with chilli, cheese, bacon bits, onion, mustard, and a fried egg.

I'm always tempted to try some of their unconventional hotdogs like the one with the Cap'n Crunch, but their Tubby Dog is too good to pass up.

The staff is very cool.

They have their hotdog eating contest every September, I think.

http://www.myspace.com/tubbydoghotdog

Hi-Psi
02-22-2007, 05:14 PM
There you go man, I edited it just for you! :rolleyes:

I'm not in the mood to argue over this, next time PM me if you have an issue!

Thanks

Jay

bigboom
02-22-2007, 05:39 PM

you=retard...

what he does in his own time has nothing to do with CMS.

eb0i
02-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Tried it for the first time last month and loved it! I forgot what I had (some special of the month) and it was damn messy but so damn good:drool: I thought their sweet potato fries were yummy. I like that they serve alcohol too:thumbsup:

SilverGS
02-25-2007, 11:07 PM
Oh Yeah Tubby Dawg.

Heart Attack in a bun but oh so good!

Havn't tried the fries yet though. I guess that's on the list for next time.

HybridTheory
02-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Anyone know the hours? I thought there were supposed to be open fairly late but when I went there last week they were closed before 11.

But mmmmm I could really go for an A-Bomb right now :drool:

adamc
02-26-2007, 01:08 PM
A-bomb is my favorite by far.

Love the chips on top! :drool: :drool:

JRSC00LUDE
02-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Reading this thread has made me want a hot dog in the worst way! Actually, it made me want two of them - one to enjoy and one to choke DepTrotter with. But he'd likely accomodate a big wiener quite easily, as I'm pretty sure he was actually trying to spell DeepThroater when picking his username.

Shane1
02-28-2007, 09:45 AM
My wife and I have heard about Tubby's for some time and finally took the plunge and went down. She had the the A-bomb and I had the gripper. My 5 yr old son had the PB&J with Capt'n Crunch and it was awesome, our little girl struggled with a little kids dawg.

Upon further investigation it is owned by 2 brothers, one that LOVES junk food and thus the idea was born. They relly took car of us while we were in (partly because my wife is close friends and works with the other brothers' roommate) but they hooked us up with the rings, chips, ice-cream for the kids... THESE GUYS ARE AWESOME!

One word of warning though... you had better be hungry. There's some BIG dawgs there.

TUBBY'S FTW!

all this talk of food is making me hungry... anyone wanna meet for lunch down there?

tentacles
02-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Are you going to boycott CMS now because Jay likes to have a hotdog after a drink?

Oh well, just leaves more tires for the rest of us I guess. :)

DepTrotter
02-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Reading this thread has made me want a hot dog in the worst way! Actually, it made me want two of them - one to enjoy and one to choke DepTrotter with. But he'd likely accomodate a big wiener quite easily, as I'm pretty sure he was actually trying to spell DeepThroater when picking his username.

is stating the obvious supposed to be an insult?...congrats you figured out the riddle batboy!..

JRSC00LUDE
02-28-2007, 10:11 AM

is stating the obvious supposed to be an insult?...congrats you figured out the riddle batboy!..

So you are agreeing that I stated the obvious? That you can accomodate a large wiener? :rofl:

dino_martini
02-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

So you are agreeing that I stated the obvious? That you can accomodate a large wiener? :rofl:

:rofl:

De Dutch
03-01-2007, 06:10 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Euro838
03-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Just went there today for another Tubby! Yum! If I didn't have to go back to work this afternoon, I would have attempted a Tubby and a Gripper!

This month's feature Dawg is the Caesar Dawg. Looked very good. A friend of mine tried the "Le Champignon" which is essentially a mushroom swiss Dawg.

Kritafo
04-07-2007, 06:20 PM
just got back from a trip to Tubby Dog, we didn't eat all day and got there around 5 pm. Kids had the Jr's with nothing too exciting, got the t-ring and I had the tubby dawg and hubby had "the sherm"

kids ate all their, you can't get all beef in the Jr sizes. I wil only eat all beef or kosher. Hubby finished his, mine and the kids. haha!

It was fun, but we won't be going back for another year.

I like the idea of hotdogs until I eat them. Plus, you haven't had a hot dog like a New York hot dog. Coney Island dog...fresh cheese slices not fresh squeezed. Sauteed onions don't belong in chili.

Euro838
04-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Well, I can't believe a Jr dog is $5, might as well get the Tubby for 50 cents more. I guess the only problem with the Tubby is that the dawg itself is a bit spicey so for kids, they may not like it.

legendboy
04-11-2007, 08:13 PM
the owner is a good friend of our family, go to tubby dog! :drool:

BerserkerCatSplat
04-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Oh man, I hate these threads. Now I want a hotdog in the worst way! :rofl:

Euro838
04-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Okay, I went to Le Chien Chaud on 4th st and about 20th ave because a friend of mine had read it in the FFWD magazine. The place is very nice and definitely has that classic diner look. They have more of a world selection in terms of dog choices. I had the Coney Island dog. I must say I was a bit dissappointed. The hot dog itself is nothing special that I'd compare it to the hot dog you get at Costco. The toppings were nothing to write home about, the best part was the bun.

Prices for most hot dogs are $5.

Anyways, after eating this hot dog, I still felt something was missing so my friends and I went to Tubby for a Tubby! After that I was satisfied!

BTW, at Le Chien Chaud, their pickles for $1.25 are HUGE! Anyways, if you want to go to a place with a nice setup, go to Le Chien Chaud, if you want the best dog in town, go to Tubby!

suen_boi
03-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Just had one for the first time the other day.. they look ridiculous but are in fact pretty damn good. I was brought a "Sherm’s Ultimate Gripper" – the dog is bacon-wrapped, deep-fried and topped with ham, homemade chili, cheese, mustard, bacon, hot peppers, onions and a fried egg.

Just one step closer to coronary heart disease, boys :drool:

Kritafo
03-16-2008, 05:01 PM
there is a thread in the food and dinning from last year or even earlier.

I think they are horrible. Fake cheese, not very good dogs.
Got the onion rings as well took about 15 napkins to collect all the grease.

Give me a Coney Island Dog any day. Just because they are huge and full of ingredients doesn't make them good.

dj_rice
03-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
there is a thread in the food and dinning from last year or even earlier.

I think they are horrible. Fake cheese, not very good dogs.
Got the onion rings as well took about 15 napkins to collect all the grease.

Give me a Coney Island Dog any day. Just because they are huge and full of ingredients doesn't make them good.

But your a woman....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Canmorite
03-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Heavy hot dogs. I had one and I didn't feel like eating for a week afterwards :nut:

Kritafo
03-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

But your a woman....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But my whole family went. Husband and 2 children...we all thought it was gross. maybe after drinking it would be fun. But for a meal it was gross.

dj_rice
03-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo

But my whole family went. Husband and 2 children...we all thought it was gross. maybe after drinking it would be fun. But for a meal it was gross.

I was just joking but yeah, its mainly catering to the late-night bar drunken crowd hence all the grease and fat so when ur trashed, greasy food hits the spot and takes good...I've never been there myself so I cant comment soberly on if it tasted good but thats my assumption

I tried looking up a website on them for more info but their site doesnt exist anymore...heres there Wiki

Tubby Dog is a hotdog restaurant on 17th Ave. Former "Calgary's favourite bartender" Jon Truch has taken his infamous hotdog night from the Night Gallery and made a restaurant out of it: Tubby Dog features giant hot dogs will all the fixings you could imagine (and many you probably wouldn't, like the "Sumo Dog" with wasabi, pickled ginger and sesame seeds), a pinball table ("Funhouse" as of now), a jukebox, bottled beer and cartoons. You can also get pickled eggs ($1), dixie cups complete with wooden "spoon" ($1) and various hotdogs (1/4 or 1/2 pound or a family-recipe Ukrainian sausage). Onion rings are also available.

This author has not yet spotted Truch in his hotdog costume at Tubby Dog yet, but he's holding out hope...

In addition to the offerings of various meat in bun combinations, Tubby Dog also offers a couple of side dishes. Including their T-Rings (an onion ring with a light poofy batter) and fries that are potatoes cut lengthwise and deep fried.

Tubby dog is open from "11a.m. to late" most of the time and until "really late" on Friday and Saturday (which apparently means sometime after the bars close

Antonito
03-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Their hotdogs are what they are, giant heart attacks in a bun, which is great if that's what you're in the mood for. Their onion rings are complete crap though, I just can't eat anything that has 2" thick batter :barf:

dennisaur
03-16-2008, 06:03 PM
I've been there and it wasn't great at all. I still prefer the hotdogs that they sell at Costco, topped up with all the condiments.:drool: :thumbsup:

Mr. Burns
03-16-2008, 06:08 PM
It's all about Pocket Dawgs at the dome.

Brutucus
03-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Aww man i eat Gripper every time i go there! good stuff

Ajay
03-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Burns

:werd:

Pocket Dawgs are the best but I don't remember where you get them at the dome now. One too many dome foams :D

Springbank Golf Links has pocket dawgs as well. Ahh....can't wait for the golf season.

HybridTheory
03-16-2008, 11:34 PM

Oh ya forgot about those! They're good too! Haven't had one in ages.

Black Gts
03-16-2008, 11:51 PM
its all about the cap n crunch... My friends used to make fun of me because I would dip hot dogs in peanut butter. Here comes tubby dawg, and I found out I wasnt nuts:nut: , although the jam and cap n crunch are a bit much haha..

403Gemini
03-17-2008, 12:05 AM
I never said anything about other sections... you can post where ever you want man. but seriously...you are representing a company.. you cant post like a delinquent, bragging about your off duty escapades... thats just logic

CMSJay

CMS = Contemporary Motorsports

Since you are representing this company with your name you should certainly represent everything the company stands for.

Stop being such a faggot, you're acting like an 07-08. If you dont want to take your business to CMS because an employee says "Hey, guess what guys I have a life!" Then they probably wouldnt want your anal retentive ass in there anyways.

Back on topic: Havent been there as I pretty much loathe hot dogs... would anybody still recommend this place to somebody who doesnt enjoy your conventional hotdogs? ;)

D'z Nutz
03-17-2008, 10:19 AM

Pocket dawgs are awesome, but they're nowhere near as good as tubby dogs. In fact, I get a craving for tubby dogs after I finish a pocket dawg.

bobby_lu
03-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by dennisaur
I've been there and it wasn't great at all. I still prefer the hotdogs that they sell at Costco, topped up with all the condiments.:drool: :thumbsup:

Deal o' the century!

Neil4Speed
04-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Me and a buddy were pretty hungry for a hot dog the other day, Tubby Dog is a little far away, so we went over to 7-11 to see that they have tonnes of toppings so we did this.

Smokie on Whole Grain bread (keep it healthy you know??)
Top with Ketchup, Mustard, Relish
Add Barbecue Sauce
Top with Nacho Cheese Sauce, Chilli, Banana Peppers, and Sour Cream
Buy a pack of Jalapeño Vikies chips break it up and spread it on top.

Killer, and cheap, I think it was just over 6 bucks for two.

Hawk01
04-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Me and a buddy were pretty hungry for a hot dog the other day, Tubby Dog is a little far away, so we went over to 7-11 to see that they have tonnes of toppings so we did this.

Smokie on Whole Grain bread (keep it healthy you know??)
Top with Ketchup, Mustard, Relish
Add Barbecue Sauce
Top with Nacho Cheese Sauce, Chilli, Banana Peppers, and Sour Cream
Buy a pack of Jalapeño Vikies chips break it up and spread it on top.

Killer, and cheap, I think it was just over 6 bucks for two.

tubby doggs is the shit, IMO especially after the club if your just want a snack. but this sounds good too:drool:

pf0sh0
04-06-2008, 09:20 PM
How late are they open? Never been, seems like a good night time snackage

JordanEG6
04-07-2008, 12:34 PM
I wish I had the metabolism to go there often :rofl: :rofl:
Been there once, good as hell! I wanted to try
something a little extreme, so I went with the PB&J w/ Cap'N
Crunch...that was hella good hahaha

dj_rice
04-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
I wish I had the metabolism to go there often :rofl: :rofl:
Been there once, good as hell! I wanted to try
something a little extreme, so I went with the PB&J w/ Cap'N
Crunch...that was hella good hahaha

You just love hot dogs dont ya...;) :rolleyes:

SeanDon
04-07-2008, 07:27 PM
hours?

dj_rice
04-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by SeanDon
hours?

Taken from their website

Tubby dog is open from "11a.m. to late" most of the time and until "really late" on Friday and Saturday (which apparently means sometime after the bars close

B17a
04-08-2008, 03:58 PM
:drool: :drool:

So good!

pf0sh0
04-08-2008, 04:03 PM
LOL, I'm gunna have to try it out my buddies tell me its the shit, but I've yet to go. some of the hot dawgs they were telling me sound fucked up lol

dj_rice
04-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by B17a
:drool: :drool:

So good!

Is that the one Jordan is talking about? :barf:

B17a
04-09-2008, 07:27 AM

Is that the one Jordan is talking about? :barf:

That's the one. I was pretty skeptical too, but gawdamn, sofa-king good! :thumbsup:

dj_rice
04-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by B17a

That's the one. I was pretty skeptical too, but gawdamn, sofa-king good! :thumbsup:

I guess it could be good, it has the sweet/salty thing going on, sorta like how some people eat fries with Wendys chocolate shake...

lexIS300
04-09-2008, 07:30 PM
lol wtf....looks like a pregnant woman created it

nodoubtt
04-09-2008, 11:11 PM

wow
you sir, equals big fucking tool
this is the fucking lounge to post about daily life things, so if it bugs you that much, GET THE FUCK OUT OUT

B17a
04-10-2008, 08:04 AM

I guess it could be good, it has the sweet/salty thing going on, sorta like how some people eat fries with Wendys chocolate shake...

Well the last time I had one was around 2am after a stag, maybe my judgement was slightly impaired. It was good at the time and I had no ill effects!:D

CKY
04-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Doesn't anyone just grab a standard Tubby? That is still my favorite of them all

l/l/rX
04-13-2008, 06:41 PM
I just had a Tubby dog today, I was starving and I was shopping at Smyth and Kang, smelt soo good had to have one. And honestly I was kind of sad after i ate it. IMO pocket dogs are soo much more tastier. I had just the Tubby Dog, chilli n what not, it didn't have any flavor to it. I was a bit disappointed.

eglove
04-13-2008, 06:45 PM
had this for the first time today, had an a-bomb and some yam fries.

pretty much just another hot dog....yam fries on the other hand were excellent!

D'z Nutz
01-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Tubby Dogs deserves a Bu-fuckin-ump!

After a long absence, I finally went back on the weekend. I was really getting worked up for the Tubby Dog, but when we got there in the afternoon, they still hadn't finished making the chili yet, so I settled with the A-Bomb (cheese, bacon, mayo, mustard, ketchup, and potato chips). Never had one before, but who knew crushed up potato chips on a hot dog would be so good? Tubby's, that's who!

(not my pic)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/2588861245_65a1f0a340.jpg

I'm still craving the Tubby, so I might have to go back sometime this week or next! Haha

AltimaCoupe
01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Yes, they serve alcohol as well. Prices are not the cheapest for drinks, but the food makes me visit them 3-4 times a week.

After dinner, I enjoy a nice pack of cigarettes :) outside in my car, while looking at the varied selection of patrons or watching their old movies and skateboarding shows :)

redevil
01-05-2009, 07:18 PM
ketchup chips on a hot dog FTW!

I have to try out this place, I've been wanting to for so long.:drool:

1997GSR
01-05-2009, 07:26 PM
oh my. that looks revolting :rofl:

liquidboi69
01-06-2009, 12:02 AM
I just dont like the kind of hot dogs they use, tastes so bland and crappy, even an Oscar Meyer originial weiner tastes better