PDA

View Full Version : Who do you know?

Supa Dexta
02-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Just wondering how many people got where they are today, in part, or fully by who they know? I myself, although I went to college and like to think I have a decent resume, have gotten every job since age 12 thru knowing various people. I truly believe "it's all in who you know" is such a powerful phrase, and provides so much opportunity. And I'm not talking "oh I know my dad" so he gave me my job (although that could count) Personally it has been friends, and people met thru friends or known by relatives that have helped me along, and presented opportunities I would have never came across alone. So I guess in short, keep your ears and your doors open.. People skills can take you pretty far, even just making a good impression once some wares, can lead to a key possible “in” later on…

I always thought that would be a good message to send to kids in school too, about how that kid you push around everyday may give you a job sweeping his floors someday when you need it, or could be a good business contact down the road, better keep things like that in mind...

:)

cressida_pimpin
02-22-2007, 07:04 PM
where did you go to school? I believe that knowing people can get you in the door. But without the right credentials you may not advance very fast

Supa Dexta
02-22-2007, 07:06 PM
well yes I should add that as part of it, you have to be able to back yourself up... I guess my whole point is to emphasize how important people skills are as well as being able to read people and sell yourself

cressida_pimpin
02-22-2007, 07:09 PM
so do you have a degree? or did you go to college? if so, how was it once you got in the door....

Supa Dexta
02-22-2007, 07:29 PM
I went to college myself. Not sure which door you mean, but at all of the places it tends to be the same, put your nose to the ground and work for what they pay you, and good things will come. I've seen it here posted before about albertan kids expecting more then they are owed, and if thats the case between you and someone like that, enjoy your promotions. I moved to alberta 2.5 yrs ago, and have been moving up the ranks and doubling my income ever since, with 3 different jobs now, and will be into 6 figures next yr... I respect whats been given to me, but at the same time I've worked hard and sacrifice for it all.. , and I still live the same as when I moved out here broke as shit several yrs back, I have some nicer things now, but I certainly don't blow it.. Hell look at my first posts on this site, they were about how my 900$ civic lost a cylinder on the drive out here.. ha.. And even nowadays, I like working out here, but you always miss home. You go from seeing your family and friends all the time to once a year. And if you do the math on that, you may only see your parents another 20-40 times, that hits home..

Hakkola
02-22-2007, 07:42 PM
I've never gotten a job through knowing someone, however I do think it is a huge bonus if you know people who are in a position to land you a job, it's common sense. That said, in a place like Calgary with a hot economy it doesn't really matter if you know anyone or not, IMO.

I've heard of people getting jobs through someone their family knows, it's a recognizable name when they're looking through resumes, it's an advantage because someone in the company know the character of the person who wants the job.

Ajay
02-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
I've never gotten a job through knowing someone, however I do think it is a huge bonus if you know people who are in a position to land you a job, it's common sense. That said, in a place like Calgary with a hot economy it doesn't really matter if you know anyone or not, IMO.

:werd:

Any job I've had I've gotten on my own. Granted these aren't career type positions but still, haven't had anyone help me out.

That said, I'm done school in April and have already fired off some resumes to friends in the industries that I want to gain employment in. Hopefully I'll be part of that group that got a job through knowing someone!

01RedDX
02-22-2007, 07:53 PM

thrasher22
02-22-2007, 10:01 PM
What you know IS important, but who you know will get you in the door. You could have graduated at the top of your class, but if you're a dink, no one will want to work with you, its as simple as that.

Most jobs have tons of resumes that never make it to the person who is going to hire you, they get filtered through HR for keywords with little discretion. If you knew someone in the group, your resume would almost for sure given a read.

2/3rds of the jobs I've worked at (including my current job that I love) have been at least partially because I knew someone. I'm not saying you should go and brown nose everyone in the industry, but go to talks, organize work/school lunches, talk to people in the elevator. Its more fun that way anyways. :dunno:

googe
02-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by cressida_pimpin
where did you go to school? I believe that knowing people can get you in the door. But without the right credentials you may not advance very fast

i think the opposite. in my experience, if youre cool with the management circle of friends, you advance way faster.

tictactoe2004
02-22-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm a high school drop out... I live what I consider to be a pretty descent life.. bought myself my first house for my 25th birthday.. never had room mates in my life, cept for the woman of course. In the last 6 years i've worked for 3 companies and I havent even had a resume for any of the jobs, they've all been offers that have come my way from people I have met one way or another.. I usually get 1 or 2 job offers a month either through an old co-worker, someone who I sold something to or a head hunter.

At the end of the day it doesnt matter which of the two roads you take, one just requires working hard and the other requires working smart. If you have either one you'll do good in life, if you have both then you'll do great. If only I didnt hate working hard :P

JRSC00LUDE
02-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Every job I've ever had from KFC, cleaning the shop at a chrysler dealership, bank, oil company and prov. gov't have all been from who I knew. Every single one was "if you want to work for this company, be there at XXXX date and time and if they like you the job is yours. Only thing I can't figure out is why they keep liking me, I'm a bit of a prick. :D

Rockski
02-23-2007, 08:43 AM
"its either who you know, or who you blow"

i aint blown nobody and i aint known nobody, i got where i am by wingin it

Kona9
02-23-2007, 08:58 AM
I agree in "it's who you know" to an extent. Having good people skills, good attitude and a good reputation will definately get you places.

The job I have now was definately because of someone I knew. I still had to pass the interview and prove my ability though.

Super_Geo
02-23-2007, 09:13 AM
It's who you know ;) For me at least...

I'm pretty sure I could've gotten a job in Calgary on my own... resume is pretty strong, recently graduated from a top uni w/ honors, etc.. but it's so much easier having someone vouch for you.

But I got my engineering job through MSN... was talking to a buddy who was at work, he asked if I wanted to work there post-graduation. I sent him my resume (over MSN), and got a call from the president shortly after (small company, ~90 people). Fuck your face, job search!

Kirbs17
02-23-2007, 10:21 AM
I got my summer job of 4 years through a family friend, and an internship through some connections of my moms. I do agree it makes things a lot easier

topmade
02-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Yes "who you know" can get you in the door "what you know and the amount of effort you put in" will determine how far you can go with that company.

Tik-Tok
02-23-2007, 10:29 AM
I've only had one career job, and didn't know anyone to get it.

98brg2d
02-23-2007, 01:26 PM
I got my job through CAPS at U of A over three years ago. I was the first person they had hired that they didn't previously know, they are all life long friends/family and brought me into the fold so to speak and I in turn hired firends/family. Nepotism can be a very good thing to help take care of friends and family and see that they do well in business.