PDA

View Full Version : Gas keeps edging up!

old&slow
02-23-2007, 08:12 AM
I see my local Shell station just upped their prices yet again!
What's with the constant upping of gas when oil has been relatively stable for months?:dunno:

Fado
02-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Upping of profit perhaps:dunno:

calgarys13
02-23-2007, 08:42 AM
upcoming war on iran!

lilmira
02-23-2007, 08:46 AM
CEO new car surcharge, new house surcharge, vacation surcharge........

freshprince
02-23-2007, 08:49 AM
the latest hike in prices is due to some bad weather up north shutting down production on a number of sites....

...so I heard on the radio.

kvanderlaag
02-23-2007, 09:20 AM
Ever wonder how much of this is bullshit, since it happens so far away that not many people are likely to be able to call it?

in*10*se
02-23-2007, 09:49 AM
you remember in the summer when it was as high as $1.20???!!?!

USED1
02-23-2007, 10:05 AM
A refinery is down and a direct effect is the supply is down therefore the price goes up!

sputnik
02-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Oil is currently over $61.50/bbl and gas inventories this week were reported to be down considerably since last month.

Simple supply and demand.

Masked Bandit
02-23-2007, 10:43 AM
They want to make a slow run to the may-long price of $1.20 per litre.

sputnik
02-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
They want to make a slow run to the may-long price of $1.20 per litre.

I highly doubt the traders on NYMEX and ICE really care about some Canadian holiday.

DoubleLP
02-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Refinery fire in Ontario has but there production which has affected a lot of Esso stations in Ontario to be without gasoline. Demand is high, supply is tight already....so the gas prices go up.

Funny though how quickly prices go up, but take a long time to come back down.

Lo)2enz0
02-23-2007, 11:11 AM
i was wondering what happened. well i will be buying a pocket bike if this keeps up

Aleks
02-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I am buying a GTI TDI when they come out in 09

If prices hit 3 bux a liter ;)

QuasarCav
02-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

I hope it does so I can see SUV drivers actually cry when they fill up their gas tanks.

Canmorite
02-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

I highly doubt the traders on NYMEX and ICE really care about some Canadian holiday.

Of course they do. They see the upcoming surge in demand, weeks before hand, and correct the price to reflect the increase in driving. Same as equity and currency traders.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/4152/cl1yj4.png

nos_efx
02-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Far as I know diesel prices are up in the 90s as well....

Something with Suncore's plant up north.

Diesel has been more expensive then oil for the past few months.

Originally posted by Aleks

lilmira
02-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by DoubleLP

Exactly, if they are only passing the production cost to consumers we would expect them to make consistence profit from year to year. But didn't they all make record profit for the last few years.

It's all bullshit and we are all screwed.

Si_FlyGuy
02-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Why're you guys whining about paying an extra couple of dollars on a tank?

A790
02-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
Why're you guys whining about paying an extra couple of dollars on a tank?

$2 a tank isn't a big deal... but seeing how in the last 5 years gas prices have nearly DOUBLED... it becomes a big deal.

Are you one of those people who can't see past today?

When I was 16 - four years ago - gas prices were JUST hitting $0.60/L and I thought that was expensive... now it's at $0.959 and that's not supposed to be a big deal?

If the rest of inflation went up like gas prices we'd all be fucked.

old&slow
02-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by A790

$2 a tank isn't a big deal... but seeing how in the last 5 years gas prices have nearly DOUBLED... it becomes a big deal.

When I was 16 - four years ago - gas prices were JUST hitting $0.60/L and I thought that was expensive... now it's at $0.959 and that's not supposed to be a big deal?

Well said...I can't believe people don't complain more.
Same like that of Hospitals and schools...no one complains and look at the mess we're in.

Si_FlyGuy
02-23-2007, 04:08 PM

I'm one of those people who think on a more macro perspective. Seeing that Calgary's economy is driven on energy prices, and given that I am all for prosparity, I'm not upset at gas prices going up as long as our economy keeps pace.

Keep in mind that when you were 16, fast food restaurants weren't paying $15/hr. What do you think's driving up the wages? Our over-heated economy perhaps? And why is our economy over-heated? Maybe due in part to *gasp* energy prices?

I'm not going to bitch about spending an extra $10/month on gas when my salary has gone up by much more than that.

Compare our prices with prices around the world, and you'll find that we're relatively cheap.

T78Supra1
02-23-2007, 04:14 PM
You have to remember that the lower the price the worse our economy gets.

Becuase of the steady prices the last couple of months many big companies such as Encana, Conaco Phillips and CNRL have cut drilling down by 60% for 2007 which means many consultants are now sitting at home doing nothing.

If the oil prices don't go up many people will lose their jobs this summer.

old&slow
02-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Short memories here for sure. $60 a barrel aint low.
Just because oil hit $80 don't mean that's sustainable.
Oil companies have never had larger profits and th outlook is for tremendous profits as oil is non renewable.
Anyone but the most greedy of all will concede $60 oil is very very good.
Fact remains that $55 to $60 a barrel and gas was below 80 cents a litre. Now its gone up but per barrel isn't really changed!

Masked Bandit
02-23-2007, 04:56 PM

It's been a LONGGGGGGG time since gas was $.60 a litre. You are probably closer to 10 years. When I first move here from Edmonton in 1996 gas was around $.60 a litre.

DoubleLP
02-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Diesel prices are higher because production is low from the USA, not from Suncor up north. None of the oilsands plants produce gasoline or diesel, etc...for consumers to buy. They do make their own diesel, but for the heavy haulers and all other onsite diesel equipment. They send their crude oil down the pipe line to places such as Fort Saskatchewan and other refineries across North America for them to produce into viable fuels for the consumer.

Plus with the cold snap that was and sort of is still happening in the Eastern part of North America, demand is high. And then you add in the fires in Ontario at two different Imperial Oil plants in less then a month...that will drive prices higher.

acura_el
02-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by DoubleLP
Refinery fire in Ontario has but there production which has affected a lot of Esso stations in Ontario to be without gasoline. Demand is high, supply is tight already....so the gas prices go up.

yeah there was a fire at an ontario refinery. apparently the output has been reduced by 112,000 barrels which sucks. gas is near $1 and some esso pumps have shut down :guns:

Originally posted by old&slow
Fact remains that $55 to $60 a barrel and gas was below 80 cents a litre. Now its gone up but per barrel isn't really changed!

:werd: it's only moved about $5 per barrel and more importantly, the inventories from last week were up by about 3.7M barrels IIRC...they keep playing the damn 'iran is trouble' card :rolleyes:

tentacles
02-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Higher gas price == fewer people on the roads. :clap:

civickid_21
02-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
CEO new car surcharge, new house surcharge, vacation surcharge........

This is probably part of it. But fuel costs will be going up for summer, so if they put the prices up slowely, people wont complain as much.

kaput
02-24-2007, 07:33 PM

dino_martini
02-24-2007, 07:35 PM
According to that little sticker on the pump, 35% of the pump price is taxes. Where does all this money go? :guns:

WWJAI
02-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by tentacles
Higher gas price == fewer people on the roads. :clap:

That is not true. No matter how high you put gas prices, ppl are going to be willing to buy gas and still drive as much they normally do.

Audio_Rookie
02-24-2007, 07:46 PM

It's been a LONGGGGGGG time since gas was $.60 a litre. You are probably closer to 10 years. When I first move here from Edmonton in 1996 gas was around $.60 a litre.

I remember when I first started driving gas was 61c/L for an entire year....and that was when I was 16...

I just turned 20...

so no.....not 10 years....more like 3-4.

Audio_Rookie
02-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI

That is not true. No matter how high you put gas prices, ppl are going to be willing to buy gas and still drive as much they normally do.

I dont drive as much, especially road trips...

when gas is over 1$/L it costs me over 100$ to go from edmonton to lethbridge and back....

thats an extra 40$ from when it was in the 60's......40$ in 1 day of driving is quite a bit.

WWJAI
02-25-2007, 04:49 PM
^ But even though even if gas prices were to go up to $1.50/L, you'd still be willing to buy gas at that price.

Ok, I guess ppl will reduce their amount of driving a little bit but not dramatically.

chris
02-25-2007, 05:17 PM
a refinery was shut down in ontario last week, just be glad that gas went up instead of having a gas shortage. That's why gas went up

schurchill39
02-25-2007, 08:09 PM
I was at a job a couple of weeks ago for Encana and I asked the consultant why they are not nearly as busy in january and february as they were the last 3 months of 2006, he told me (directly from his mouth): "fucking encana always surpases their budget because they dont take into account unexpected costs throughout the year, so ..... they slow production down at the begining of the year so they have an excuse to drive prices up to get some of that lost profit back. Then summer rolls around and they start drilling again..."

It didn't make much sense to me then but I am starting to see what he ment. Also, last summer, according to my field supervisor, Encana could of done alot more drilling and what not then they were but chose not to because they wanted to drive prices up (to regain some of that moeny they spend on unexpected things).

EDIT: Not sure if that made much sense....

Originally posted by T78Supra1
...Becuase of the steady prices the last couple of months many big companies such as Encana, Conaco Phillips and CNRL have cut drilling down by 60% for 2007 which means many consultants are now sitting at home doing nothing.

If the oil prices don't go up many people will lose their jobs this summer.

I disagree with your last statment, the lay offs are comming now because of break-up. Come summer there will be ample work in the oil field.

old&slow
03-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Up yet again! Won't be long now till they hit a buck a a liter!

GoChris
03-02-2007, 08:56 AM
ya it wasnt that long ago. cause just less than 10 years ago i was pumping gas at .49/L

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-02-2007, 09:34 AM
96.5? Wasn't it just 92.5? This is starting to get brutal again... Time to swap ecu's for that gas saving one. =(

Xtrema
03-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Up yet again! Won't be long now till they hit a buck a a liter!

It's expected to be at least $1 this summer if not more.

I use premium, so I'm already there.

Still cheap IMO.

Masked Bandit
03-02-2007, 10:14 AM
I think the more the price of gas goes up, the more motorcycles we will see on the road. What else can you drive that gets 40 mpg, cost $10,000 new, and still run 0-60 in under 4 seconds?

Fado
03-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I think the more the price of gas goes up, the more motorcycles we will see on the road. What else can you drive that gets 40 mpg, cost $10,000 new, and still run 0-60 in under 4 seconds?

The only issue is that a lot of people prefer to have some sort of paneling, steel, etc around them when flying down pavement at 30 meters a second.

hussein
03-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Yea, 4 years ago I remember when gas was around .61! It only cost me ~40$ to drive from Medicine Hat to Calgary. Now it costs ~60$.

A motorbike definitely looks appealing this summer.

old&slow
03-02-2007, 05:43 PM

I have 2 in my garage but neither will be on the road anytime soon!

Masked Bandit
03-02-2007, 05:48 PM

I have 2 in my garage but neither will be on the road anytime soon!

Well, maybe not just yet but after buying the bike I was much less concerned with the performance of my four wheeled machine. This allowed me to buy something with a little closer eye on fuel economy.

Once the snow does in fact melt....the car will spend a lot of time parked in the garage.

Mangina
03-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Gas is cheap. Hookers are expensive.