PDA

View Full Version : Oil and Gas Career Fair

adamc
02-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Coming up Feb 27th, anyone else going to this?

I hear it's mostly engineering side of things, but I'm still going to attend with a stack of resumes.

s2k_boi
02-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Nope. But where is it and what are the times? Or even better a website ;)

adamc
02-23-2007, 02:27 PM
http://slb.careercast.com/files/jobdetaillogos/000000000/456730b32.gif

MEET RECRUITERS FACE TO FACE

The Calgary Herald is pleased to present the Oil & Gas, Engineering and Technology Career Fair. This event will provide an excellent opportunity to meet companies looking for mid to upper level professionals in Oil & Gas, Engineering and Technology industries. It will give you an opportunity to meet face-to-face with these companies and even participate in on-site interviews when available.

ONE DAY ONLY!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007.
9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
at the TELUS Convention Centre, Macleod Hall CD
120 - 9 Avenue SE, Calgary, Alberta CANADA

FREE ADMISSION!

BRING PLENTY OF RESUMES

For more information call: 403-235-7138

Some of the companies attending include:
# SNC Lavalin
# Direct Energy
# Veco Canada
# Calfrac well services
# Weatherford Canada Partnership
# Sanjel Corporation
# Enerflex Systems Ltd.
# Jacobs
# David Aplin Recruiting
# The Mergis Group
# Fluor Canada
# Downing Teal Alberta
# McPhail School of Energy
# Shell Canada Limited
# ASRC Energy Services, Tri-Ocean Engineering
# Metafore IT Solutions
# Nexen Inc.
# Colt

RawB8figure
02-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Do you guys think they are hiring inspectors (W178.2) too, or just engineering/ office type positions

msommers
02-23-2007, 03:25 PM
I'd suspect everyone is in demand right now. Considering it's free to get in and you can ask at the fair, it's something worth trying for, imo.

Euro_Trash
02-23-2007, 04:22 PM
This thing comes to Edmonton too doesn't it?

urbannomad
02-24-2007, 01:14 AM
"opportunity to meet companies looking for mid to upper level professionals in Oil & Gas, Engineering and Technology industries"

would they want 1st year business students? :dunno:

i should say would it be worth going to, since i am a 1st year business student. :dunno:

nagooro
02-24-2007, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by urbannomad
"opportunity to meet companies looking for mid to upper level professionals in Oil & Gas, Engineering and Technology industries"

would they want 1st year business students? :dunno:

i should say would it be worth going to, since i am a 1st year business student. :dunno:
Yah, i'm second year, heading towards petroleum geology, I dont think I would classify myself as mid-upper level, do you think they will have any sort of entry jobs as a "foot in the door" position?

wrxer1
02-24-2007, 03:40 AM
I'll be there, wanting to get a good summer job.

djayz
02-24-2007, 05:13 AM
Considering its free to get in and presented by the herald im sure anyone who walks in with the right attitude will get a job.

If your jobless and are somewhat in the oil and gas field or just starting out go for an hour check it worst comes to worst you get nothing but who knows you might get hired on the spot for a job where-by you can move up once your done school.

Lexxan
02-24-2007, 06:46 AM
Anyone with actual field experience is more of an asset than anyone with school in most departments. Obviously only if their field job has to do with their future in office position they apply for.

so good luck to people who know what's going on and people who are going to school

Euro_Trash
02-24-2007, 03:44 PM
I don't know about that, its getting more and more that you need some sort of Education to work, especially in the office environment

Euro_Trash
02-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by nagooro

Yah, i'm second year, heading towards petroleum geology, I dont think I would classify myself as mid-upper level, do you think they will have any sort of entry jobs as a "foot in the door" position?

Just go operate or something along those lines for a company. It might not have anything to do with what you want to do when you graduate, but it will give you the oppurtunity to meet some people, and it looks great on the resume

Grip172
02-24-2007, 06:10 PM
hmm i wonder if they have much for me. graduating this june with a diploma in civil tech eng...

wrxer1
02-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Question for you guys: I finished my management diploma and upstream petroleum certificate at sait and have just been accpeted into petr engineering, also at sait. Do I mention i'm going to be a full time student in sept? I think they would limit me to a co-op position instead.

krisopotamus
02-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Hmm, looks like a good place to find a co-op job for the fall. But im currently on a workterm already and can't ditch work to go try and jump ship haha. Besides I guess CNRL pays well so even if I don't necessarily want to work for them when I'm done I guess its pretty good money and experience for a workterm....

Euro_Trash
02-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by wrxer1
Question for you guys: I finished my management diploma and upstream petroleum certificate at sait and have just been accpeted into petr engineering, also at sait. Do I mention i'm going to be a full time student in sept? I think they would limit me to a co-op position instead.

Yes you should tell them you will be going to school. You have a good chance getting a summer student position with someone

Euro_Trash
02-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by krisopotamus
Hmm, looks like a good place to find a co-op job for the fall. But im currently on a workterm already and can't ditch work to go try and jump ship haha. Besides I guess CNRL pays well so even if I don't necessarily want to work for them when I'm done I guess its pretty good money and experience for a workterm....

What are you doing for CNR right now?

RawB8figure
02-26-2007, 04:55 PM
I dont go downtown much, so where would you recommend parking.

dj_honda
02-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by RawB8figure

park and take the train. the stations right outside.

i've always had the hook up in the past for jobs, so i havent really had to do any career fairs before. anybody who has gotten a job from a career fair, do you just bring resumes? or would you do a generic style cover letter or something too?

msommers
02-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by RawB8figure

By a train station and take the train. Seriously, 23/day for parking now and what are the meters, 1 dollar for 15minutes or something!

Euro_Trash
02-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Bring a resume and a good attitude. And don't just drop the resume off, make sure to introduce yourself, talk about the company, etc.

krisopotamus
02-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash

What are you doing for CNR right now?

Exploitation Engineering co-op student here in calgary at bankers hall.

It's not like I don't like working for them, it looks awesome on a resume, they pay great, and I work with good people. The only reason I would ever want to switch companies is because CNRL makes you work in the field for a year before you can come work in head office after you get your degree. For some reason I can work here now as a student but when I am done I have to waste a year of my life out in the boonies....I'll see tho, if they offer me another workterm I will probably take it. They didn't give any offerings this time because they changed campus recruiters in the HR department so they didn't know any of the past co-op students.

Euro_Trash
02-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Oh I got hired back on :dunno:

And you will find that most of the bigger companies will make you work at least a year in the field before getting on in Calgary. It only makes sense, considering you get all these people that go to school for 4 years but have absolutly no experience in the oilfield
Personally, I lvoe working for them. Treat you good, pay good, everyone is friendly, and they are all about helping you have a future with them

krisopotamus
02-26-2007, 05:56 PM
I only know of 1 person from the U of R who got hired back on with them without an interview. Thats what I meant by the way, job offers at the end of your workterm. I worked for them before and had to go through the interview process again.

The reason the 1 person got it is because he personally knows the guy who gave him the job or something

Euro_Trash
02-26-2007, 06:00 PM
That wouldn't be a guy by the name of Brandon (or Bam) would it?

ApexDrift
02-27-2007, 12:47 PM
anyone go check it out yet?...

krisopotamus
02-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
That wouldn't be a guy by the name of Brandon (or Bam) would it?

Nope thats not him.

adamc
02-27-2007, 06:20 PM
I was :barf: sick all day today, and didn't make it over there, which really sucks.

Anyone go check it out?

msouther
02-28-2007, 06:20 AM
Hey Folks,

I just thought I would let you know that we handed out all 1500 brochures within a few hours of the doors opening. The show was a huge success. I work with the Herald and will be in charge of organizing the next event we have. There were people from all ages and backgrounds and the employers who were in attendance were ecstatic with their response. Good luck to all who attended!

adamc
02-28-2007, 11:21 AM
msouther, any word on when the next show of this kind will be rolling through?

Wish I could have attended.

msouther
02-28-2007, 03:18 PM
That is a great question. There isn't an exact date as of yet but due to the exceptional turnout and the employers reactions, we are aiming at having another one in the fall sometime. Hopefully the next one will be even bigger and better. There are some things that we can improve on but it was a total success. I will keep you guys posted when the time arises. Thanks!

adamc
02-28-2007, 07:35 PM
hopefully I have my desired job by that point, lol ! :)

adamc
02-28-2007, 07:35 PM
can you post a list of the actual companies that were in attendance?

msouther
03-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Hey adamc,

Check out this link:

http://shopping.calgaryherald.canada.com/SS/Page.aspx?&secid=27157&pagenum=1

Hopefully that works for you. If you check out the last page which is #8 I believe, you will see the layout of the Career Fair and the corresponding vendor company name.

I am currently looking at securing a bigger space for the next Career Fair which will be hopefully at the end of September or early October depending on availability. I will keep members posted when I know exactly and if anyone here works for a company that might be interested in participating, they can contact me as well. I am hoping the next one is double the size and we will correct some things for the next event to make it better and more accomodating.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

cosmok
03-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by msouther
Hey Folks,

I just thought I would let you know that we handed out all 1500 brochures within a few hours of the doors opening. The show was a huge success. I work with the Herald and will be in charge of organizing the next event we have. There were people from all ages and backgrounds and the employers who were in attendance were ecstatic with their response. Good luck to all who attended!

It was a joke. Packed with pushy people that can barely speak English, and the typical "here's our card, apply online" mentality.

msouther
03-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Well I think the main point of a fair like that is to get information from the respective companies and try and capitalize on your couple of minutes that you get with the representatives. I think that is correct that the vast majority were directing the traffic to their websites to apply. Hopefully certain people made good enough impressions that when they did send their resume online, the employers might remember them.

It is great that there was such a diverse crowd in attendance. There were people of all ages, sex and ethnic backgrounds. That is a sign of our city and employers need to open their eyes to all people out there because in a tough market like this, you can't overlook anybody.

You can't honestly expect to walk in to an event like that and have employers begging you to work for them can you? Anyways, it was a great success and the next one will be bigger and better!

cosmok
03-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by msouther
Well I think the main point of a fair like that is to get information from the respective companies and try and capitalize on your couple of minutes that you get with the representatives. I think that is correct that the vast majority were directing the traffic to their websites to apply. Hopefully certain people made good enough impressions that when they did send their resume online, the employers might remember them.

It is great that there was such a diverse crowd in attendance. There were people of all ages, sex and ethnic backgrounds. That is a sign of our city and employers need to open their eyes to all people out there because in a tough market like this, you can't overlook anybody.

You can't honestly expect to walk in to an event like that and have employers begging you to work for them can you? Anyways, it was a great success and the next one will be bigger and better!

Nope but it is a waste of time to go to one of those and have them recite the information from their websites about what they do, who they are, etc.

Never stated that I expected to walk in there and get a job, but the chances of the recruiter actually remembering anything about you when they speak to such a large amount of people are slim to none.

msouther
03-07-2007, 09:29 PM
I don't agree about recruiters not remembering who you are. I just talked to one of the vendors today and they were telling me about one of the people they met. She applied over the internet and is getting the job. Granted she was from overseas somewhere, was very intelligent with some crazy engineering background and was very attractive to boot.

I wouldn't say it would be unheard of to be hired there, but with such a vast amount of attendees it makes it tough to get some quality one on one time with any of them. The day of the fair was actually my first day in that position so I was hoping to get around and meet all of the vendors but that sure didn't happen. I am thinking the next the Career Fair will be in October around the 2nd but that is still tentative. We are looking at increasing the amount of vendors slightly but doubling the space available so people such as yourself (cosmok) won't feel so crowded down there. I will keep everyone posted!

If there are any employers or people who are members of this board that are in HR or Recruiting for Oil and Gas and Engineering companies and would like to attend, feel free to PM me your info and I will contact you as soon as I know what is happening for sure. Thanks!