PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get ticket for the white lightbulb?

vtec96
05-27-2003, 11:54 PM
I have heard from May 1st. the cops will give tickets....to those who have white light bulbs ...
Is that true ?

sml
05-28-2003, 12:07 AM
not just white bulbs... it has to do with certain reflectors and turn signals. rule of thumb is front of the car should be amber or stock, rear of the car should be amber or red. This is iregardless of the color of the actual bulb.

vtec96
05-28-2003, 12:32 AM
so..I can't use the white light bulbs for headlight.....

benyl
05-28-2003, 08:56 AM
you have to use what came stock with the car.

otherwise it is illegal

jdmakkord
05-28-2003, 08:58 AM
just make sure the bulbs are D.O.T approved. Then you have an arguement.

Gotrek
05-28-2003, 10:21 AM
Canadian law states you need

Forward facing amber turn signals
Side amber visible retro-reflector
Side amber visble Marker light
rear Side red visible retro-reflector
rear Side red visible marker light
rear visible red or amber turn signal
Rear visible brake lights (red)
Front and rear visible running lights (can be headlights on low power or Amber running lights for the front and red for the back lights that come on when you turn on you lights one notch.

I think thats it

EDIT: I also think Daytime running lights are now mandatory since 1991 or so

Dragon X
05-28-2003, 11:21 AM
im pretty sure that fron facing signals can be amber or white. i had the registry send me a email with laws regarding colors of light and it did say that, but this was a couple years ago, maybe it changed?

it also stated that headlights must emit a WHITE light. white light looks different to people cause they think yellow(stock) is white

sml
05-28-2003, 12:18 PM
white implies stock, not ricer white with bluish tint HID wannabe lights... Those lights are unsafe because eventhough they "look" brighter, they actually emit LESS light onto the road and they distract oncoming traffic or the person in front you cause your lights look so ugly...

Dragon X
05-28-2003, 01:13 PM
from my experience highway driving going to vancouver was more easy with super white then my stock, it really does help "pop" out lane paint and signs. id rather have them then the stock when driving on the highway, but i can also understand the situation on how bright they can be to oncoming traffic but it shouldnt be so bad that it disables driving, if it does they shouldnt be on the road. all they really gotta do is focus the eyes to the bottom left and it isnt that bad.

P.S. Benz HID systems are sooo bright (like sharp piercing light), how can they get away with that just cause its "stock"?

ludeseeker
05-29-2003, 02:14 PM
yes it is, believe me

SilverRex
05-29-2003, 11:16 PM
welp Ive been pull over "warning" for having blue side marker lights. the cop told me I should have white or amber.

right now I have clear side marker, white front completely and white turn signal rear

if cop pull me over again I will em the last cop told me its white or amber..

but I duno how long I can hold off, I think I have a better chance being pull over for my exhust tip lol

vtec96
05-31-2003, 07:51 PM
How about the headlight ???
Those white light bulb (Looks like HID) ??

ryder_23
06-01-2003, 02:29 PM
Last night actually, we were at this party and left for a bit, and cops came up to me and my friend in our cars just hanging out with a few people...I had my car running, lights on and everything, and since i'm wanting to be a cop i started mingling with him, rcmp by the way, and he says that for my headlight bulbs, theyre not like bluish, but just really white/clear, and he said from a distance they look like BMW style, but when u get within 50m or so, they look just white, and most cops i could get away with it, my clear corners and bumpers he said are illegal, but since its hwy he could care less, he just said watch out for city, and even for my gauges he said i can be ticket'd because the kph are in small letters not the big ones, but he was cool about, and didnt tell me to change it or anything.

davidI
06-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Dont' some cars come with stock white front side markers? I thought some VW's did?

CRXguy
06-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by davidI
Dont' some cars come with stock white front side markers? I thought some VW's did?

yup, but the bulb is AMBER. :)

Go4Long
06-01-2003, 09:42 PM
I tried goin with the "but they sell them at canadian tire" excuse when I got pulled over for my blue signals...cop said "blue lights are reserved for planes and boats" I was like "if a person is stupid enough to think a boat is comin down the road at them when I signal...maybe they shouldn't be driving at all"...still got the ticket, ah well

mad_psyentist
06-02-2003, 02:22 PM
I think Ferio was tellin' me me he got off with a warning for his front's being blue and was told to change them. But what doesn't make sense is ... what is it... BMW's or Mercedes or something have those annoyingly blue-purple foggers that damn-near blind you comin' down the road, and those are legal (as far as helpless, caged and detatched-from-socialization-me knows.) Go fig. I agree Go4Long... I barely look twice if I see blue/green/[insert color here] lights comin' at me from behind. Ok, maybe I look twice to make sure the ride's decent, but I certainly wouldn't think a WestJet liner was drafting me.

I've got distinctly red signals on my front end and no one's picked me out yet. Apparently, cops are color blind as well as stupid.

Goliath
06-03-2003, 02:44 AM
does this mean HID conversion is banned now?

TEG_G2
06-03-2003, 07:15 AM
I use to have clear hyperwhite bulbs for the front bumperlenses and corners, samething for the taillights and I never got a ticket. I guess I was just lucky. :D But I just put it all back to amber. :thumbsup:

Seanith
06-03-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Goliath

are you serious? would you let that prevent you from getting it?

Goliath
06-03-2003, 09:31 PM
if doing a complete conversion (not just the bulb, but the whole thing) to something like what BMW and Benz have is illegal then there is no reason for me to consider it. but if it's only illegal to mod bulbs, lenses ,etc then it doesn't bother me since i'm not thinking about doing that.

So is HID conversion illegal now?

FiveFreshFish
06-03-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Goliath

Yes, if you follow the law to the letter. But that won't stop most people who are determined to get them.

AFAIK to legally comply, a couple of conditions must be met:

1. Headlamp housings must be specifically designed for HID.

2. Must have a self-leveling system for HID.

So that rules out most retrofits. Unless your car was available from the factory with HID option, it's pretty tough to meet BOTH conditions.