PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Jeep Wrangler (JK) Opinions?

writhen
02-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Has anyone bought one? What are your opinions on reliability and the new design? How is it for daily driving? How's the acceleration and highway peformance?

I'm considering buying it. My first choice was an '06 WRX, but the convertible jeep is attracting my attention. I would be using it for a lot of city driving, but I also head out to the country quite a bit.

TorqueDog
03-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Since no one replied, I'll field this one.

I've got a new Wrangler JK Unlimited. I absolutely love it. I've already got 13,000 KM on her (since Oct20/06) and it's been a blast. No problems with it, fuel mileage is respectable if you're not me (lead foot), looks good, and if you get the Sahara like I did, you get the better interior fabric and possibly the Infinity 6-DVD/CD stereo. Sounds great.

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

Mitsu3000gt
03-04-2007, 05:22 PM
My opinions are based on a 2003ish model that I rode in:

Jeeps are about the worst on-road vehicles in my opinion. Additionally they are some of the most poorly finished vehicles, with bare metal everywhere inside. The ride is bad, and they have no performance (not that they are meant to). Unless you use it like 75% or more off road I would never even consider one. The rag-top convertibles are cold in the winter too. They are purpose built off road vehicles for a reason, the way I see it. The WRX is a far better car in literally every conceivable way except pure off road performance IMO.

They are amazing for off roading however, they do their job very well.

TorqueDog
03-04-2007, 08:17 PM
You're not referring to the vehicle he's considering, though. The new Wrangler (JK) is night and day when compared to the 2006 and earlier Jeep TJs.

Trust me on this, I did work for Dodge back in the day too.

Mitsu3000gt
03-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
You're not referring to the vehicle he's considering, though. The new Wrangler (JK) is night and day when compared to the 2006 and earlier Jeep TJs.

Trust me on this, I did work for Dodge back in the day too.

I'll have to check it out at the car show in a couple weeks.

TorqueDog
03-05-2007, 02:14 AM
I do think you'll be rather impressed with the changes... I know I was.

It's not horrible to drive on the highway like the old models were. The suspension is more "road friendly" while still maintaining its ability to kick ass on the trail.

I did the 10.5 hour drive to Winnipeg in it, and had no complaints (except that I was in Winnipeg).

justincalgary
03-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
My opinions are based on a 2003ish model that I rode in:

Jeeps are about the worst on-road vehicles in my opinion. Additionally they are some of the most poorly finished vehicles, with bare metal everywhere inside. The ride is bad, and they have no performance (not that they are meant to). Unless you use it like 75% or more off road I would never even consider one. The rag-top convertibles are cold in the winter too. They are purpose built off road vehicles for a reason, the way I see it. The WRX is a far better car in literally every conceivable way except pure off road performance IMO.

They are amazing for off roading however, they do their job very well.

Since all you have done is ride in one, you shouldn't be so opinionated. I have owned 3, and it doesn't matter whether you have the soft top or hard top, the heter in a jeep kicks serious ass, by far the best heater I have seen. I used mine as a daily driver and the "performance" is fine, you don't buy a jeep to use as a race car. Besides I found the 5 speed 6cyl. to be quite quick. Loved my jeep and can't wait to get another one. The '03 I had, had coil suspension, not leaf springs like the older ones from pre 97. Jeeps to me drive like a truck, and I don't really find a difference in the ride quality between a Jeep and my Ranger. Just my 2 cents

EnRich
03-05-2007, 12:16 PM
We just had a friggin discusion about this the other day, use the search engine, I'm too lazy to do it for you.... basically in the end everyone saw the Jeep the same way Mitsu300gt did. he just sumed up how shitty the vehicle actually is.... And hes 100% right. Jeeps suck, period.

Rav4Guy
03-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by justincalgary

Since all you have done is ride in one, you shouldn't be so opinionated. I have owned 3, and it doesn't matter whether you have the soft top or hard top, the heter in a jeep kicks serious ass, by far the best heater I have seen. I used mine as a daily driver and the "performance" is fine, you don't buy a jeep to use as a race car. Besides I found the 5 speed 6cyl. to be quite quick. Loved my jeep and can't wait to get another one. The '03 I had, had coil suspension, not leaf springs like the older ones from pre 97. Jeeps to me drive like a truck, and I don't really find a difference in the ride quality between a Jeep and my Ranger. Just my 2 cents

Well, that does go the other way you know. Since you have owned 3... you have a biased opinion when it comes to Jeeps.

In the end, it really depends on the person. I personally will not buy, drive, sit in, nor rent one.

TorqueDog
03-05-2007, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't say it's a "biased" opinion so much as it is "thoroughly educated".

You all have to remember, the only Jeeps that Mitsu3000GT has experience with are the pre-07 models. The 2007 is a completely new platform, and will change a lot of opinions on the Jeep brand.

I wouldn't have bought a pre-07 Jeep. But the 2007 changed my mind.

writhen
03-10-2007, 12:02 AM
Wow I had given up on this thread a while ago. TorqueDog, firstly thanks for actually replying and taking an effort to answer my question. Secondly, I took one of these things for a test drive...and wow there really is a night and day difference (mind you its still no audi/bmw). Wow, I'm really impressed though, I might just consider throwing caution to the wind and getting a sahara as opposed to the '06 WRX I was going to get.

Aleks
03-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by writhen
Wow I had given up on this thread a while ago. TorqueDog, firstly thanks for actually replying and taking an effort to answer my question. Secondly, I took one of these things for a test drive...and wow there really is a night and day difference (mind you its still no audi/bmw). Wow, I'm really impressed though, I might just consider throwing caution to the wind and getting a sahara as opposed to the '06 WRX I was going to get.

Go drive the 06/07 WRX and see what you think.

writhen
03-10-2007, 12:36 AM
I have. It's a different type of vehicle, albeit excellent in its class. Personally I think I'd be more tempted to speed, added to that the insurance rates are way higher for a 20 year old, and you don't really have a million different open air top configurations or the ability to go pretty much wherever the hell you want .:thumbsup: :clap:

rusich
03-10-2007, 02:20 AM
Looks like you are sold on the jeep. Let us know how you like it when you get one.