PDA

View Full Version : wtb: '96 328is onboard comp

V-Ride
02-24-2007, 01:34 AM
Hello Bimmer world, my girlfriend just bought this bimmer but the screen on the bmw is cracked. I was told that I have to replace the whole onboard computer. Any advice is great, any offers is good too! Thanks!

SS_imports
02-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Technically that's untrue. Theres a smaller white plastic peice with the actual plate inside among other parts. Theres also a difference between cracked and just missing pixels and appearing cracked (although I take your word for it). If it's the pixels theres ways to fix that as well.

funkedelic
02-24-2007, 03:39 PM
once those simmons on board computers go, they can't be replaced. I have an 11 button on-board and want to upgrade to the 18 button m3 one. If you want to buy it, make me an offer/

V-Ride
02-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by SS_imports
Technically that's untrue. Theres a smaller white plastic peice with the actual plate inside among other parts. Theres also a difference between cracked and just missing pixels and appearing cracked (although I take your word for it). If it's the pixels theres ways to fix that as well.

actually ur right about that. it's missing pixels across the center of the screen. I can still read what it says, my clock is dimmed out so I can't tell the time. If that's the only piece I need to replace it would save me a ton of money. Thanks for the advice!

SS_imports
02-24-2007, 06:53 PM
It's a DIY type of fix, assuming you can do it. Really all it takes is some double sided (really skinny) tape. It's a matter of adding a larger buffer behind the screen to make sure its pressing hard enough to the panel behind it.
I did it and it works much better, granted still not 100%, but i can read it all.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/foru...ad.php?t=457171

Also, I don't know if you can upgrade to an 18 button OBC because theres 2 connections on the back of an 18, whereas the 11 has 1.