PDA

View Full Version : 3g lude help

90TurboLude
05-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Hi all, I have a stock '90 lude that needs some work, im gonna be rebuilding (well learning how atleast) the engine with a friend. but i was just hoping to get some opinions on what i should do to the engine.. like should i be changing pistons from oem kind and what about cams and different gaskets etc?... any options/opinions are appreciated (except for flames...) yeah. right.

thanks
0mR.Lude..0

ramminghard
05-28-2003, 12:48 PM
use all new gaskets

are you building it for performance?

AutodreamMarvin
05-28-2003, 02:10 PM
b21 have nikasil liners that can't be rebored. you might be able to but the honda i worked at didn't know anywhere that could and i'm not too sure about anywhere in calgary either(thats for you to call around and look into). i looked into new pistons from other b-series(b16 and b18 for me because i had a b20a and the crv ones for you because you have the b21) but the wrist pins were different(i think 1 or 2mm smaller or larger, can't remember) and i wouldn't go through the hassle of machining them to fit, might as well just get forged units(i didn't even look into where the pin was located or the valve relief cuts). as for cams, i remember someone using b18a/b cams with a little bit of machining, but then again you might as well send them out and get a re-grind from colt cams in bc or delta in the us. and you also have the fact that the 95mm stroke b-series motors(b20a and b21a) don't take well to revs, bad r/s ratio and terribly undersquare, so wild cams aren't suited to the motor and the fact that since you can't hone the block you probably will still be burning oil even though you have new rings which will be worsened by the fact that you are revving the sh!t out of it. stick with oem gaskets, because they are a sure bet. i don't know. if i suggest looking into a used, low k jdm b20a motor. they're cheap and plentiful. they make about the same power and don't have the same liners as the b21.

kevie88
05-28-2003, 03:18 PM
Or better yet a low KM H22A!! :D

choweyt3t4
05-28-2003, 04:34 PM
save yourself the grief and start looking for a different car. pulling that engine out of that bay is extremely frustrating, and if you got a/c dont even waste your time. trust me it will save you alot of stress in the long run.