PDA

View Full Version : Launching

T78Supra1
02-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Just Wondering how many of you dump the clutch and how many of you slide the clutch when launching

DonJuan
02-27-2007, 11:31 AM
I used to dump the clutch... worked well on the original stock engine. Now I'm constantly feathering the clutch and throttle. To get it off the line without going up in smoke... more difficult, but definately more fun.

What do you mean by "slide the clutch" ????

black_radiation
02-27-2007, 11:35 AM
maybe he means drag the clutch out when your taking off? which is horrible lol

alloroc
02-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Its hell on the clutch but the best way is to preload the clutch using the handbrake. Let the clutch slip out and start applying the gas keep the revs around 3-4k (exact revs is dependent on traction) then let it out.

GTS Jeff
02-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
Its hell on the clutch but the best way is to preload the clutch using the handbrake. Let the clutch slip out and start applying the gas keep the revs around 3-4k (exact revs is dependent on traction) then let it out. Yeesh, is there any point to doing that unless you have a turbo setup and you're trying to spool the turbo?

snowboard
02-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Yeesh, is there any point to doing that unless you have a turbo setup and you're trying to spool the turbo?

i think the OP has a turbo, a rather large one at that..

T78Supra1
02-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Yah I have a T78 just woundering what would be the best way to spool faster off the line.

Right now i rev the car to about 4000 and dump the clutch..the rps clutch does fine just wondering if there is a better way

BlkMaxima
02-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Rev limiter and Drag Slicks!:drool:

alloroc
02-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Yeesh, is there any point to doing that unless you have a turbo setup and you're trying to spool the turbo?

Yes you gain a couple points of reaction time.

ZedMan
02-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Best way to spool and launch a turbo car? auto trans and transbrake.

sr20dets13
02-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan
I used to dump the clutch... worked well on the original stock engine. Now I'm constantly feathering the clutch and throttle. To get it off the line without going up in smoke... more difficult, but definately more fun.

What do you mean by "slide the clutch" ????

I find this dosent work as well on turbo cars..because if you feather the throttle you loose boost..just drop the clutch at 3500-4000 and you should get a pretty decent launch

GTS Jeff
02-27-2007, 11:37 PM

On a N/A car though? You can get perfect times just by launching at the right moment.

Redlyne_mr2
02-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Use launchcontrol on the standalone or pic up a piggyback launch control device if youre serious about drag.

Annoyingrob
02-28-2007, 10:00 PM
T78Supra1, you have a launch controller on your V-pro, it's probably set up too knowing Reg. Floor it while stopped, and see if it holds at a certain RPM.

Currently I have my V-pro set up with the external control to allow for me to adjust the launch RPM (between 3000 and 5200 in 200rpm increments). I set it where I like it (usually around 4k), floor it, which will hold the engine where I set it, and build about 5psi of boost, then I bring the clutch up half way, and hold it there until about 50km/h, at which point I let it all the way up. It's hard on the clutch, but it's only a clutch. I can replace them in a day.

If I just dump the clutch, all I do is spin the tires, and go nowhere, but slipping it until the car builds a little speed, it holds nice until I shift into second. If I ease it into second a little, it will hold fine, if I drop it, the rear end just slides. I'm running Yokohama AVS Sport 285s in the back......now that I think of it, I bought them from you :) Besides, I have a torsion LSD in the back, they're known to destroy themselves with severe shock loading in MKIIIs.

When it dries out, and I get my summers back on the car, I'm going to do some experimenting on launching it in 2nd gear. With first, I'm shifting around 60-70km/h, but I'm sure I easily have enough power to launch nicely in 2nd, and that way, I can hold it to about 120km/h before I have to shift again (I rev to 7500)

T78Supra1
02-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the advice

My V-pro is set at 3000 rpms i am going to have to take it to Reg to raise it to at least 4500...especially with a T78.

I was thinking of geting one of those manual controllers so i don't have to keep taking it to reg's to change the launch controll

Ekliptix
02-28-2007, 11:42 PM
I suggest investing in some tires for the track. They make a HUGE difference. I dropped a full second off my 1/4 mi time using a set of $100 soft tires out back (MT Sportman pros). It's a good investment.

These points are called time, usually measured in fractions of seconds.
Also, R/T has not effect on the elapsed time since the clock starts from when you leave the line.