PDA

View Full Version : Drum Kit Recomendations

bobyo_2001
02-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Hey all, I am a drummer that has been only playing three years and have gone through 7 kits i need to find a really good kit, money is not any issue i am pretty much up for anything right now i am playing on a 5 pc, pearl exr kit with gibralter rack and several accesories, i need to upsize but at the same time i need to down size like one less tom and more cymbals. Any Suggestions...???

:confused:

core_upt
02-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by bobyo_2001
Hey all, I am a drummer that has been only playing three years and have gone through 7 kits i need to find a really good kit, money is not any issue i am pretty much up for anything right now i am playing on a 5 pc, pearl exr kit with gibralter rack and several accesories, i need to upsize but at the same time i need to down size like one less tom and more cymbals. Any Suggestions...???

:confused:

AYOTTE - i had them build me a custom kit a few years ago. I was in search of a professional kit so I looked at Pearl Masters Customs, DW Pre series and Orange County Drum and Percussion. Pearl didn't build custom kits, DW took between 6 and 12 monthd and OCDP was hella expensive. I talked to Ayotte via Axe music (go see jeff towers) and sepc'd my new kit - all custom built for me. two rack toms 10" diameter, 1 is 8" deep the other 10" deep, 14x14 floor tom stand mounted (no legs) and a 18"x20" bass drum (18" diameter, 20" deep - its a cannon!). The kit is finished in a blue onyx finish - blue in the light, black in the dark with steel hoops (woods hoops are nice too). It took about 6 weeks to build, all out of 100% Canadian Maple. the toms are 6 ply with reinforcement rings, the bass drum is 8 ply.

For my snare, I bought a prebuilt kepplinger steel snare from Ayotte - 7mm steel. The thing weighs a ton and sounds like a gunshot.

If you've been playing a while you have the hardware, so you just need shells. I have absolutely no regrets about my kit - it is the best thing I have ever bought and will have it for the rest of my life. Ayotte was amazing to deal with and are Canadian to boot (out of Vancouver) so turn around and shipping is much quicker - they put more care into packing their drums then most others do building them.

As for cost - they are in line with any other pro level kit, but considering you can have them build you a kit versus ordering from a catalogue, the price tag is easily justifiable.

Check out www.ayottedrums.com

Here's a pic of my kit, mounted on a rack (not the ayotte snare pictures):