PDA

View Full Version : Is this 'bad'?

TimG
02-27-2007, 09:18 AM
So i saw a job posting on monster that is pretty much identical to what i'm doing right now, except that the job is based in Montreal. It's like they took my CV and wrote the job description based on it.

So the moral/ethical dilemma:

I don't really have any serious intention of taking the job, i just wanted to see what would happen if i fired off my cover letter and CV.

If they are serious enough to interview me for the job and want to fly me out to Montreal for an interview, should I go, knowing that unless they pretty much double my current salary i won't even consider taking the job or do I take the free weekend trip to Montreal and live it up at their expense?

BigMass
02-27-2007, 09:25 AM
what i'm wondering is, why would you even waste your time? For a one day trip to Montreal where most of the time you'll be spending in an airplane and taxi?

TimG
02-27-2007, 09:39 AM
In my experience, if they're going to fly me out east for an interview, they'll put me up in a hotel for at least 1-2 nights. When I lived in Ottawa and flew out for an interview at UBC, they put me up at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver for 3 nights.

Plus I have family in Ottawa who i could see again. it's only a 2 hour drive for them to meet me in Montreal.

Masked Bandit
02-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Go for it. If they are willing to fly you out there you may be surprised what they come up with for a salary / other benefits.

TimG
02-27-2007, 09:47 AM
argh. hit quote instead of edit :p

BigMass
02-27-2007, 10:10 AM
if i got a job offer in Montreal that paid more than what i'm getting here i'd be gone. It's a beautiful place. Plus, house prices are 1/2 what they are here currently and every house has a swimming pool :thumbsup:

Xtrema
02-27-2007, 12:29 PM
You're gay if you don't hit up on a chance of a free trip to Montreal.

Although flying there right now is pretty cheap.

GTS Jeff
02-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
if i got a job offer in Montreal that paid more than what i'm getting here i'd be gone. It's a beautiful place. Plus, house prices are 1/2 what they are here currently and every house has a swimming pool :thumbsup:

:werd: I think Montreal is 10x the city Calgary is, and I would move there for a job that paid the same.

TNation
02-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

:werd: I think Montreal is 10x the city Calgary is, and I would move there for a job that paid the same.

do Alberta a favor and move there now

GTS Jeff
02-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by TNation

do Alberta a favor and move there now

lilmira
02-27-2007, 01:53 PM
If they are interested in hiring you, they might phone your references, e.g. your supervisor? It might not be a good thing for him/her to think that you want to leave when you are not.

If you have no intention to work there, you'd better come up with a good excuse to reject the possible offer. The last thing they want is someone wasting their time on purpose. If you are sure that you won't cross path with them in the future then you are fine but you never know.

What do you want out of this if you don't want the job? A free ticket?

TNation
02-27-2007, 01:54 PM
You still hurting?
you still haven't left yet?

Isaiah
02-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Montreal is a great city. While I don't particularly advocate hitting them up for a freebie with no intention of taking the job, you may be surprised at how great of a city it is if you do decide to go for the interview. You may even be persuaded to accept the job if they make it tempting enough.

TimG
02-27-2007, 02:22 PM
I've been to Montreal many times. I used to live in Ottawa which is a 2 hour drive.

There are a few reasons why i will never move to montreal (in no particular order)

1. shitty roads
2. insane humidity in the summer
3. insane snow in the winter
4. insane drivers
5. shitty roads
6. it's in quebec

:p

Isaiah
02-27-2007, 02:40 PM
'nuf said.

GTS Jeff
02-27-2007, 04:16 PM

you still haven't left yet? Give it a few years there, skeeter.

awd
02-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Montreal > Calgary.

Culture, nightlife, women, cuisine, women.

TNation
02-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Give it a few years there, skeeter.
do us a favor fucktard and take your nutritional sperm to Quebec.

GTS Jeff
02-28-2007, 02:30 AM

do us a favor fucktard and take your nutritional sperm to Quebec. Don't you think it reflects poorly upon yourself to come into a thread with only the intention to troll upon another user with unprovoked, schoolyard insults?

Either way, here's a tip for ya, skeeter...if you want your insults to strike close to home, you should make sure you've got your facts straight. I'm not quite sure why you went off and started making fun of my, "6 year nutrition degree," before, but you know, the schoolyard insults don't really work if I'm not a nutritionist. I've never even so much as taken a nutrition course, since the junior level ones don't really teach you much beyond common knowledge. Actually, if anything, I'm a little insulted that you aren't calling me an English major, since I think it's clear from my diction and grammar that I hold a greater command of the language than most. Oh well, I hope that little tidbit helps you out in the insult department. :dunno:

TNation
02-28-2007, 02:34 AM
Don't you think it reflects poorly upon yourself to come into a thread with only the intention to troll upon another user with unprovoked, schoolyard insults?

Either way, here's a tip for ya, skeeter...if you want your insults to strike close to home, you should make sure you've got your facts straight. I'm not quite sure why you went off and started making fun of my, "6 year nutrition degree," before, but you know, the schoolyard insults don't really work if I'm not a nutritionist. I've never even so much as taken a nutrition course, since the junior level ones don't really teach you much beyond common knowledge. Actually, if anything, I'm a little insulted that you aren't calling me an English major, since I think it's clear from my diction and grammar that I hold a greater command of the language than most. Oh well, I hope that little tidbit helps you out in the insult department. :dunno:

:zzz: keep yapping you whiny, aggravating nutrionist. You've always been a tool, and you always will be a tool... this is not an insult, rather it is the truth you fool. :thumbsup:

Team_Mclaren
02-28-2007, 02:38 AM
thanks for comming out, now STFU and stay on topic.

GTS Jeff
02-28-2007, 02:43 AM

:zzz: keep yapping you whiny, aggravating nutrionist. You've always been a tool, and you always will be a tool... this is not an insult, rather it is the truth you fool. :thumbsup: I'm not a nutritionist, no matter how much you say it's the truth. Didn't you bother to read my last post explaining that? Or did the big words scare you away? :dunno:

Mixalot27
02-28-2007, 03:16 AM
How about using this offer as leverage for a raise/promotion at your present job. Just kind of flaunt it in their face, these guys are so interested in me they are willing to fly me all the way to Montreal to interview me, etc. Good workers are hard to find here, maybe your boss will hook you up to keep you from leaving. It not you can move to Montreal, make more money and nail some french babes....oh la la

TimG
02-28-2007, 08:50 AM
my wife = french babe :D

I thought about that leveraging tactic too, but i figure it could go either way. Either it works, or they say don't lose your luggage on your way to montreal.

sputnik
02-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Do a lot of companies fly people in for interviews?

Our company makes you fly on your own dime, however that is usually after a number of extensive phone interviews first.

TimG
02-28-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm guessing the 1st and possibly 2nd round of interviews are over the phone and then once they have a short list they'll fly you in to meet everyone and see how you mesh with everyone.

If a company won't fly me out for an interview, that speaks loads about how cheap they are and i probably wouldn't want to work for them. Both of my recent companies flew me out for an interview; UBC flew me out from ottawa and put me up at a fancy hotel and the company i'm with now flew me out from Vancouver for the day after two phone interviews. Both also chipped in for relocation expenses.

Then again, i guess it also depends on what kind of position you are interviewing for.

topmade
02-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Do a lot of companies fly people in for interviews?

Our company makes you fly on your own dime, however that is usually after a number of extensive phone interviews first.

:werd: I seriously doubt they will be flying you out for a first interview. They would probably do all if not most the interviewing via telephone conferrence that would include expected salary. They would probably only fly you in to either sign the papers or for a final interview when they have a few people to select from.

But hey you never know what's out there if you don't try. I was in your exact same situation for my last job. I wasn't even going to go to the interview because the job description didn't seem that great compared to what I was currently doing. But at the last second I decided to go and guess what, it was a good company, great benefits, better pay, bonuses, just overall much much better then what I was getting and I got the job in the end and took it.

JAYMEZ
02-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by awd
Montreal > Calgary.

Culture, nightlife, women, cuisine, women.

:werd: , I love montreal!

jhmed
03-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Give it a few years there, skeeter.

I did, and I couldn't wait to get back to Canada.

Like the saying goes: "nice place to visit..."

Go for the interview and use it as leverage. Don't take the job though. You'll be back in less than 3 years anyways. Guaranteed.

kertejud
03-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Yeah, Montreal is an amazing place to visit, easily the best city in North America, but you'll find its a much different place to work and live.

Anyways, take the interview, take in the Montreal nightlife, see what they might give you, who knows, it could be the move of a lifetime. Maybe even leverage it into a better situation back here
:thumbsup:

Whitetiger
03-12-2007, 01:41 AM
Go for it, big companies can afford the expense. Enjoy yourself.

monymoe
03-12-2007, 09:04 AM
dont use it as a leverage; as somoene here already said; it could backfire on you. Plus, if they do keep you (which is rare) and if they do give u an increase in salary (which is even rarer) you wont be trusted and its going to be quite hard for you to move up on the ranks.

the only way you can negotiate a better deal for yourself with your current employer is if this is ur annual performance check and you pass it with flying colours. then you should ask for a raise, and if they dont, u can bring up the other company (which hasnt made you an offer yet)

and if i were u, id go to montreal asap. I love calgary, but montreal just has more things to do.

monymoe
03-12-2007, 09:05 AM
dont use it as a leverage; as somoene here already said; it could backfire on you. Plus, if they do keep you (which is rare) and if they do give u an increase in salary (which is even rarer) you wont be trusted and its going to be quite hard for you to move up on the ranks.

the only way you can negotiate a better deal for yourself with your current employer is if this is ur annual performance check and you pass it with flying colours. then you should ask for a raise, and if they dont, u can bring up the other company (which hasnt made you an offer yet)

and if i were u, id go to montreal asap. I love calgary, but montreal just has more things to do.

Kritafo
03-12-2007, 09:28 AM
company intereviews are for the most part done over the phone when there are time differences and travel. They will only usually fly you out when they are sure your the one.

I had a lovely 7 day holiday in Bermuda doing this. All expenses were paid.

TimG
04-18-2007, 12:25 PM
update.

i just got a call from the HR person and I have a phone interview scheduled for Friday morning. This will be interesting.

Hoey
04-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Keep us posted!

TimG
04-20-2007, 09:07 AM
So i just had the phone interview.

This seems somewhat promising.

They want to schedule a 2nd phone interview/conference call with some more people from the company and possibly fly me out in the next 1-1.5 months to meet people.

They're located in St. Laurent on the west island. It's been a long time since i've been to montreal. Does anyone know what it's like there?

another thing that I have to consider now is that if they make an offer and i accept, i'll be taking a major hit when it comes to income tax. Does anyone know what kind of salary you need in montreal to keep the same lifestyle as you would have in calgary when making in the 60-90k range? I know car insurance is provincially run which makes it cheaper, but renewing your plates every year can be quite expensive (several hundred bucks).

jhmed
04-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by TimG
They're located in St. Laurent on the west island. It's been a long time since i've been to montreal. Does anyone know what it's like there?

Its very French in Montreal.

More English spoken on the West Island though. I used to live in Pierrefonds. Hated every minute of my three year stay. Felt like prison. Prolly woulda been better had I known how to parlez-vous a little better francais... but it wasn't for lack of trying... I just didn't have a knack for languages...

01RedDX
04-20-2007, 11:48 AM

TimG
04-24-2007, 08:05 AM
2nd phone interview this week!

TimG
04-26-2007, 10:42 AM
3rd interview scheduled for next week.

madness

TimG
05-03-2007, 04:14 PM
and i'm off for a face-to-face interview in Montreal at the end of the month. woohoo :D

Tik-Tok
05-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Lol, nothing wrong with it.

A friend has applied for a job in New Zealand, just so he can get a free flight there and spend a few days (after the interview).

(though he said he may actually take the job if offered)

urban.one
05-03-2007, 11:28 PM
You havent asked for advice about taking a job in Montreal but I will volunteer some anyways.

Montreal is a great place to visit and can be a great place to live; it all depends on your situation.

Ive worked in Montreal as well as have been a student in Montreal.

Montreal is a great place if you are young. Theres a ton of stuff to do - from night life, to arts and culture, to sports to whatever you want. The city just has a great vibe and its an experience in itself just to be out on the streets on a nice evening or weekend. Youll never be at a loss for things to do.
Being on the east coast, theres also a lot of great destinations for weekend getaways. You can take a cheap train or bus down to NYC, etc. Theres also mountains and outdoorsy stuff to do.

The bad... high taxes and tons of political BS.
Moving from alberta, it will be a shock for you to see 8%HST on everything you purchase. Then add the highest income taxes in North America and your pay cheque is a lot smaller.

Montreal is bilingual and you can get by with just English without a problem. Montreal isnt very political when compared with the rest of the province. Even so, you eventually get sick of all the bullshit you hear on the news everyday about politics in the province. It just starts to wear on you.
Depending on what type of work you do, if youre not quebecois, then youre gonna be hindered in your career advancement. Im bilingual (actually trilingual) but I was still considered an outsider. I worked for a large company in Montreal which had deep quebecois roots and I could see the writing in the wall in terms of promotions and advancement within the company.

If youre not planning on starting a family soon, then Id say go for it if you have the chance. You will have an awesome experience.

If youre at a stage where you want to settle down soon, then youre probably better off not doing it in Quebec at this point.

Heres an article from todays Globe:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070503.wryakabuski03/BNStory/Business/columnists

Everything it says is very true. The city is falling apart. Add to that the provinces economy which is dying and its not a place I would want to plan to build my future in.

Feel free to ask any questions; Ive been gone for a couple of years but still keep a lot of contact and things havent changed that much.

One last thing, is your job in Montreal or is it somewhere "just outside of Montreal"? Theres a big difference if your working in downtown montreal or if your job is Laval or on the rive sud?

For some reason Im guessing you work in high tech or computer programming.

Originally posted by TimG
and i'm off for a face-to-face interview in Montreal at the end of the month. woohoo :D

TimG
05-04-2007, 07:53 AM
high tech. The company is located in Ville St. Laurent.