PDA

View Full Version : tax question.

Gravy_83
02-27-2007, 04:36 PM
didn't get my taxes done last year. Do I need to contact my past employers for my old t4's or is there somewhere's I can call in Calgary to get them. Also do I get all the gst checks I missed this year from not having done my taxes??

redline
02-27-2007, 04:49 PM
You should be able to get reprints from your old employer, just hope you dont owe money....

Gravy_83
02-27-2007, 05:00 PM
well if I owe I owe right and I will have to pay penalties. But I don't think I will owe since I never ever owed them money in the past. Anyways about the gst checks do you get all the ones you missed back after or not?? and somebody said there was somewhere I could call in calgary to get the t4's but he isn't the smartest person so he could of been wrong.

BlackArcher101
02-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Gravy_83
But I don't think I will owe since I never ever owed them money in the past.

Using that logic, no one would ever have to pay taxes in their entire life. That's just silly.

Anyways about the gst checks do you get all the ones you missed back after or not??

No you don't get them.

and somebody said there was somewhere I could call in calgary to get the t4's but he isn't the smartest person so he could of been wrong.

As stated before, call your previous employers.

benyl
02-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

No you don't get them.

Yes you do.

Gravy_83
02-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Yes you do.

do you have facts to prove this?? cuz getting all my gst checks plus my taxes would be nice

joyridder
02-28-2007, 05:53 PM
If you have troubles with your old employers, just call revenue Canada. They will send you all copies for any yr that you need. I did that for 3 yrs worth of taxes, and they had no problems....

edit - GST I had 3 yrs worth of taxes to do and I got a chq for almost 1200 in back pay for GST.....you will get it back

Frosty
02-28-2007, 06:44 PM

Using that logic, no one would ever have to pay taxes in their entire life. That's just silly.

I think you're assuming that by not owing, he didn't pay any taxes. If the company did their running calculation correctly, what they deduct throughout the year should be very close to what he owes at the end of the year, meaning he doesn't end up with an outstanding balance because it has already been correctly deducted. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that's what he meant.

Gravy_83
02-28-2007, 07:43 PM
thats exactly what I meant I've always had taxes come back to me I've never owed taxes to the government ever. So yeah it's what I meant and getting my gst back will be nice too haha.

Isaiah
02-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Benyl is right, you ARE entitles to your GST rebates and will receive them if you fall under the salary bracket.

If, for whatever reason, you don't want to contact a former employer for T4's, you can get them from the tax office at the Harry Hays building.

BlackArcher101
03-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Yes you do.

Was it always like this? I tried applying for back dated GST rebate cheques and they said no.

benyl
03-01-2007, 08:03 AM

Was it always like this? I tried applying for back dated GST rebate cheques and they said no.

It is automagic. You shouldn't have to do anything. If you file your taxes and you make less than $30K (or something like that) then you should get it.

Same goes with the Ralph bucks. You get it only if you file your taxes. Even 10 years down the road, the gov't ows you that money. GST or Ralph bucks.

Firetiger
03-01-2007, 02:44 PM
CRA is only obligated to go back 3 yrs for the GST rebate. However, that's not to say they haven't made exceptions, sometimes they're inconsistent.