PDA

View Full Version : Quiting Advice!

2.2vtec
02-27-2007, 07:44 PM
A friend of mine JUST signed on with a company but within a week of working there got a better offer doing the same line of work. What is the best way to tell the current employer that he wishes to quit? He would like to do it in the nicest possiable way. Any advice or anyone who has been in a simular situation?

lilmira
02-27-2007, 08:00 PM
How much better of an offer are we talking about?
If he is still on probation, he can just say it is not quite working out. If they ask why, just say the paid isn't enough.
Be honest and there won't be hard feeling.

The Cosworth
02-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
If he is still on probation, he can just say it is not quite working out. If they ask why, just say the paid isn't enough.

:werd:

no point lying because if you ever want to come back, then you need to remember what to tell them.

Just tell them that he doesn't feel that the pay is enough for the line of work and the current labor market

Mixalot27
02-27-2007, 08:15 PM
^^Yeah just tell the boss the truth. If they really need/want you maybe they will match or beat the offer. If not they will probably understand. After all you have to look after yourself in this world. You don't really owe a company much in terms of loyalty after 1 week.

2.2vtec
02-27-2007, 10:47 PM
The pay is intially not that different but its 2 hours less a day at work, longer intial contract, bonuses at the end of the year and more room to move up. He just feels bad cause he was really agressive in getting the job and he gets alogn with the people..but thats what I told he has to do whats best for him. Its going to be tough facing them.

Mixalot27
02-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Oh well....too bad, so sad. Maybe if he wants he can bake his boss some cookies. Other than that he has to do whats best for himself. Thats life.

The Cosworth
02-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Mixalot27
Oh well....too bad, so sad. Maybe if he wants he can bake his boss some cookies. Other than that he has to do whats best for himself. Thats life.

exactly no one will look after him in this world, so he better do it himself.

Lex350
02-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
The pay is intially not that different but its 2 hours less a day at work, longer intial contract, bonuses at the end of the year and more room to move up. He just feels bad cause he was really agressive in getting the job and he gets alogn with the people..but thats what I told he has to do whats best for him. Its going to be tough facing them.

then tell the truth...it's a quality of life issue.

Speed_Dreams
02-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Sleep with the bosses wife , then he will get fired and not have to worry about quitting

topmade
02-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Just tell them the truth and give them as much notice as possible to be professional. But the hard truth is that they will probably put you in their black list because no matter how well they take it everyone hates it when people leave after only a few weeks no matter what the reason is.

Kritafo
02-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah I would make an appointment with the boss, thank him for the opportunity he was given at the company his is quitting and then proceed to tell the boss that a better opportunity has come up and it's in his personal interest to take it.

Or you can go the route of, the job he is trying to quit isn't what he thought it would be, and its in both or their interest for him to walk away sooner rather than later.

msommers
02-28-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm with everyone else. Tell the truth about what the situation is in a professional manner, explain why you think this other company is a better opportunity for you. They will either match, beat or not be able to beat it.

Fact is, the employer will be disappointed as they just found you and now need to be replaced. But at the same time, they realize this is life and you're looking out for yourself not some company. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you owe the company anything. Right now it's an employees market so benefit yourself as much as you can.

But at the end of the day if you're going to leave, leave on a good note. You don't want to screw yourself over by burning bridges, even if you have only been there for a week.

2.2vtec
02-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Ok so should he come into work and talk to the manager in the morning or wait till the end of the day? It makes sense to do it in the morning. Is there any legal percussions cause he signed a 6 month temp contract?

The Cosworth
02-28-2007, 06:59 PM
there shouldnt be if he quits.

Also it depends on the boss, because I know my boss is good in the morning but I have had bosses who would kill me.

sexualbanana
03-01-2007, 02:45 AM
I'm with everyone. :There's no reason to lie because if you get busted, you're burning bridges that will come back to bite you in the ass later on.

R!zz0
03-01-2007, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by lilmira

Make sure to thank your employer for the opportunity you were given to work there.

2.2vtec
03-05-2007, 09:03 AM
So he finally did it, thanked them but they still seem pretty pissed, which was expected. He kinda wishes he had lied cause the boss had said " if you didn't like the job I could understand better" but meh thats life I guess.

Envitro
03-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Well that's a dumb thing to say...

That goes against logic. When it comes down to it, money talks.... well, to an extent anyway.

It makes no sense that he wouldn't understand why a guy would leave for more money/opportunity, but he would if he left because he didn't like the job. weird. Must be a cult-like environment or something where they try to convince you to take less money because it's a "great atmosphere"