PDA

View Full Version : Best prices for lowering!

MaYzE
07-21-2002, 04:31 PM
Im looking at lowering my car <still>. I want to get some good opinions on what I should get. Its going on a 2000 civic SE. Give me some names and what I need etc. I want my ride to be smooth still. Dont wanna be jumping everywhere. And I dont wanna spend $3000+ dollars. Cheaper the better. If I could get my car lowered and not have it bumping like crazy for under $1500 I think Id do it ASAP. I also wanna be able to raise it back to normal for winter. Its a year round car. So far Ive heard Koni Yellows and Ground Controls are really good. But the price is above $2000 or so. Any suggestions?? Plus I need to know I good installer as well. Thanks

Rydog
07-21-2002, 04:38 PM
talk to Rob at Tunerworks, he'll take good care of you as he did me.:thumbsup:

Diesel
07-21-2002, 04:50 PM
go see Gabriel or Roberto at RPM...great work, great prices.

boi-alien
07-21-2002, 05:48 PM
i think shadowz was selling a complete suspension set up a little while back for about that price, ask him

Diesel
07-21-2002, 06:14 PM
$2000?? that sounds a bit high...

call Gabriel at RPm Monday, 273.0003...you could go with Ground Control Coilovers, or a little cheaper with a coilovers from Drop Zone...or Skunk 2...

4wheeldrift
07-21-2002, 06:30 PM
$2000 sounds like a lot for single adjustables and coil overs. A similar setup from my car would only be $1200 or so.

Evan
07-21-2002, 06:51 PM
Your looking at $1500 MAX I am guessing, just call around to the tuner shops :D

RSeXy
07-21-2002, 10:15 PM
I miss read your PM!

Anyway, what is your budget?

If you got coilovers, how often would you be raising/lowering your car? I had adjustable springs on my car (Prelude), I only adjusted them once during the time I had them on.

Ground Control Coilovers and Koni Yellows should cost you around $1500 or less.

Or you can just get lowering springs i.e. H&R, B&G combined with Koni Yellows. This way you can save around $200.

After that, you post in the "Ask Leo" Section of this forum, he will do the install for you. All you have to do is take him out for a day, buy him food, change his underwear and pay for a stripper. All in all, you will be saving money on install.

*This is MaxBoost by the way*

4wheeldrift
07-21-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by RSeXy

After that, you post in the "Ask Leo" Section of this forum, he will do the install for you. All you have to do is take him out for a day, buy him food, change his underwear and pay for a stripper. All in all, you will be saving money on install.

Definetly odd advice to be coming from your GF :rofl:

MaYzE
07-21-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by RSeXy
I miss read your PM!

Anyway, what is your budget?

If you got coilovers, how often would you be raising/lowering your car? I had adjustable springs on my car (Prelude), I only adjusted them once during the time I had them on.

Ground Control Coilovers and Koni Yellows should cost you around $1500 or less.

Or you can just get lowering springs i.e. H&R, B&G combined with Koni Yellows. This way you can save around $200.

Umm... Im not too sure how often Id be adjusting them. I dont want the car so low to the ground that im going to scrape on every little dip. But I will need it higher when the snow hits. Thats all. As for budget Im thinking if I can get it all done under $1500 I may do it this season still. Is it bad to winter drive on aftermarket springs?? or will I see a differnce? You didnt winter drive your Lude though did you?? I figure Ill have to adjust them twice a year. Spring and Fall. Same time that I change my tires. As for calling differnet shops, im not sure what to ask for. Im not very informed when it comes to cars. I just wanna lower my ride. :) Basiclly, do I need shocks and springs? Or just the springs? For the springs Im thinking GC's. If the GC's lower my car, what do the Koni Yellows do? <sorry for the stupid ?'s> Thanx

jaylo
07-21-2002, 11:38 PM
In my opinion, you should get Ground Control (adjustable) or Eibach Sportlines (drops your car about 1.8" f, 1.5"r), and get Koni Yellows w/c are called dampers. They control your springs so when it decompress, it will support it to go back to the original height. Yellows are adjustable, you can soften the ride and stiffen the way your car reacts to bumps and dips. Ground Control springs are pretty comfortable compared to Skunk2's w/c have a higher spring rate.

If you want to know more about suspension FAQ's go to superhonda.org "suspension"

Ground Control goes for 560, less than 600 bucks
Koni Yellows goes for around 800-900
KYB AGX adjustable dampers go for 170 each
Eibach Sportlines goes for 315 cost

Installs usually go for around 150-200 bucks =)

Good luck and have fun...!

Diesel
07-21-2002, 11:51 PM
if you don't know alot about suspension components, just ask the tuning shop you call. I'm sure whomever you go with, they will give the info if you ask.
My personal preference is RPM, but I guess you could try calling other shops. Overall, they have the best quality work in the city.

Tuner1
07-21-2002, 11:53 PM
Yeah, we have the Civic Ground Controls on sale right now. Great set-up!

Rob

shadowz
07-22-2002, 01:35 AM
I have a full KONI coilover for your car they have been used for 20000 km (two summers) it is a full shock and spring also you can adjust the dampening , they ride great and are a complete setup

$1200 if you buy install is free

trendkill
07-22-2002, 12:59 PM
DAMB THAT IS CHEEP:eek:

GT2NV
07-24-2002, 08:01 PM
i just got my setup done its sooooooo nice, i got
eibach pro springs drop = 1.6 front // 1.5 rear
G2 Struts / shocks
price 1000$$ ----> speedville
rides way better , and handles soooo tight

T5_X
07-24-2002, 09:29 PM
damn you people and your cheap suspension upgrades! I just spent about 1500 bucks on a primitive 3/5 drop, it's gonna be about another 1500-2000 to go another 2" lower with drop coils up front, gas drop shocks and bags out back.

Yellow_Fly_Red
07-27-2002, 11:52 AM
I think you should just order the H&R springs from www.tirerack.com and get a shop to install it here.

H&R Sport Spring Set
Availability: In Stock

$162 US (about $240 Can)
Category: Springs
Lowers: Avg Low 1.75"F 1.5"R

So it would still be less than $500 after installation and Wheel Alignment(s)

P.S. You WON'T be able to 'raise' it back to normal height for the winter unless you re-install the stock springs. And the Adjustable Coil-overs are over your budget.

kingsnake
07-27-2002, 12:46 PM
Just buy the used Konis, as they will be under your $1500 budget and provide you with your needs (adjustibility and look), and includes install. You cannot beat a true adjustable coilover, as it offers much more than just lowering springs. Your car can be set up to handle so much better, look better, etc. etc. etc. If you just go with springs without matching dampers/shocks, you will regret it, as every bump will be followed by body bounce, as the stock dampers do not operate in the lowering spring's range properly.

MaYzE
07-27-2002, 01:11 PM
Hmm.. its good to hear all these ideas. Im leaning towards getting adjustable coilovers. Now as for brand I heard GC's were one of the best. If thats the truth Ill look for those. Now I know I need the springs, but do I need ANYTHING else. If I just do the springs will my car bouce around like crazy? Or do I need some stiffer shocks as well? Like I said before, I dont want my car bouncing all over the place. I dont wanna go over a speedbump and bouce for 10 mins after.

jaylo
07-27-2002, 01:32 PM
It is recommended to buy aftermarket dampers when you lower your car b/c your OEM dampers would not be able to keep up w/ the new spring and since the car is lower it will work twice or even 3 times harder.

KYB AGX ride adjustable dampers - close to 700
KYB GR2 non adjustable - 85 each

Koni Yellow ride adjustable dampers - 800-900

MaYzE
07-27-2002, 03:42 PM
Well ive got the GC's and was told thats all I need. Soo hopefully Im not disapointed. Ill keep you guys posted on how they are on my Civic. I should have them in by the end of Aug. Im on vacation before that. I was told my shocks will do, and I should be ok. I hope so!

MaYzE
07-27-2002, 03:49 PM
http://www.mechasports.com/msr_catalog/cat_suspension/racing_coilovers/gc_coilover.jpg

There is what I bought. Yay or Nay?

4wheeldrift
07-27-2002, 03:54 PM
Whether your car will be under or overdamped or not depends on the rate of the new springs and how much lower they will be.

Grand Damn
07-28-2002, 09:00 PM
isnt there a surtan amount you can lower it...the law says so :dunno: